Thread: GPS Plug?

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Plug?

Hello to All,

Newbie to Can-Am Spyders here. I just bought a 2011 RT-S and am having a ball riding it. I bought the factory GPS mount kit for a Zumo 660. After a lot of trying, I finally got the wiring harness through the little hole in the center of the handlebars. There is a weatherproof connector plug to power the GPS unit, but I can't for the life of me find a mating connector to plug into. I read somewhere (can't remember where, of course) that on right side (as you sit on the bike), back near the passenger's hand-grip is where this connector is located, but I can't find it. I do see a panel with lots of connectors going into it. A connector on the end of this panel is even labeled Accessories, but there is a something plugged-in there with a sky blue wire coming out of it. Am I missing something here or just not seeing something obvious. The kit does come with another cable that will plug into the power connector, but the instructions say not to use this cable on an RT. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Edit: Could always just cut off the connector plug from the wiring harness and use posi-taps to connect to switched power. Any suggestions for switched power near the right side passenger grab bars?

Rick
    Last edited by rickmoen; 12-18-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added another thought - Plan B

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickmoen View Post
    Hello to All,

Newbie to Can-Am Spyders here. I just bought a 2011 RT-S and am having a ball riding it. I bought the factory GPS mount kit for a Zumo 660. After a lot of trying, I finally got the wiring harness through the little hole in the center of the handlebars. There is a weatherproof connector plug to power the GPS unit, but I can't for the life of me find a mating connector to plug into. I read somewhere (can't remember where, of course) that on right side (as you sit on the bike), back near the passenger's hand-grip is where this connector is located, but I can't find it. I do see a panel with lots of connectors going into it. A connector on the end of this panel is even labeled Accessories, but there is a something plugged-in there with a sky blue wire coming out of it. Am I missing something here or just not seeing something obvious. The kit does come with another cable that will plug into the power connector, but the instructions say not to use this cable on an RT. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Rick
    Not sure if the 2011 is the same as my 2014 RTS, look at the rear of the gas tank under the seat on the flanged tank seam. Mine had the audio connector there that I could plug an audio cable from my Zumo 550 into and thus get GPS instructions from my 550 thru the audio system. If I recall correctly the wire was ty-rapped to the tank area and may have shrink wrap over it. Had to have help from the forum to find it myself. Be sure to di-electric grease the shrink tube the connection to prevent corrosion and loosening the connection.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thank you Dedecker. I'm just trying to power the GPS and have it turn on and off with the key. I'll be plugging an Autocom Communication system to the audio out plug in the wire harness to get turn instructions into my helmet speakers. I don't plan to use the bike's radio for anything.

Rick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes you can

I don't know anything about the factory harness but I suspect you could do what you want. I have a 2012 and I mounted my 660 on top of the dash and wired it to a switched wire behind the dash. It works fine. If I had to do it now I would keep it at eye level but would mount it to a bar one of the inmates here developed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you bought the BRP GPS mounting kit for the 2010-2013 RT, it should have came with the connecting harness. You will not only need that to power your device, it also connects it to your radio system, in case you want to hear it thru your front speakers. It connects in the right side rear near the radio. By all means you can hot wire the power to the device if you choose.

If you PM me tomorrow, I can or you can call me about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevedfive; 12-18-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The first thing you need to do is move the GPS up to eye level on the dash. The cables should reach with no issues length wise, just feeding them through the tough spots can be time consuming.
    I have done this on both mine and a friends 2014 RT Limited SE6. When I did mine, it took about 6 hours from start to finish. The 2nd one took about 4 hours. Figuring out just where and what to move as well as what tupper ware to take off took the extra 2 hours.
    2015 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

GreenDragon - Thank you for for your thoughts. I did complete my task and got the GPS and Autocom powered, although it does look rather amateurish. While I'm happy to have that done, I am unhappy with BRP GPS location. I will be moving it to the top of the dash, as you suggest. Already have the JT mount for the dash. I'll use Adaptiv Technologies mount <http://adaptivtechnologies.com>. It is metal and has a vibration killer built in. It also uses set screws to clamp onto the .5" balls, etc. rather than the big knobs that RAM uses. My only concern is the where and how to route the cable so as to minimize the exposure. How did you do yours? I'll try not to cry when I fish the cables back out of the handlebar hole. Still haven't found the GPS plug for power though. Perhaps I needed to take more panels off - I only removed right side panels. That job wasn't as bad as I expected - being retired helps!
    Rick

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my 2012, the connection was located on the right side directly behind the side compartment. It was wrapped in with other wires and cables and was not in plain site. I had to reach up and behind the compartment to dig it out. As I recall it had a black cover in it. Keep looking; its there.

Sent from my little piece of paradise!
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My video shows you exactly where the GPS connector is on older Spyders like the 2011 RT.

2014 and up they put on the first half of the GPS cable already and thus those have the audio and power jacks right near the gas tank.

The 2010, 11, 12 unless it was ordered just had the Delphi connector in front of the radio near the right saddle bag.

Again my video shows you where it is and how to hook to it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black