Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    the ride is much more comfortable for my legs. the "cruiser stretch" position beats the hell out of the "crotch rocket" knee tuck. I do find fault with the f3s suspension as a two up machine. we were never told by any sales people, that it was designed for a single rider with the occasional second person in mind. we always ride together. now I am exploring aftermarket shocks (which I believe lamont is going to have the answer to shortly) not to worry if you are buying a 2016 as they have a new swing arm and supposedly are designed more for those with two up on their mind. now as far as the 1330 against the 998, forget about it. no comparison. lots more throttle response on the f3. there are those that still feel the rs can beat a f3 on the strip, but I highly doubt it. not to mention the extra miles between servicing on the f3! the wife and I love it, and hope the quirk about the shock will find a fix!! good luck in your decision making process. ps, the cat bypass is a must for a throatier sound.
    Excellent response. Many thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    So there is a big difference between power huh?
    BIG DIFFERENCE!

Spyder Garage

I have both. I love both. But if I could only have one, I'd keep the F3.

Funny enough though, I am so used to the "crotch rocket" riding position, that on long stretches of road I sometimes put my feet on the rear pegs on the F3. Only when I see that there is nothing pretty far ahead though, since I couldn't reach the brake quickly enough in an emergency.

Spyder Garage

My wife has had a 2009 RS, 2013 ST Limited, and now has the F3S. She loves the F3 more than any of the others. She says the power is better, the handling is better, the sitting position is far superior, and the interval between servicing is the best part. She would not go back. The 1330 F3 engine is far, and away a better engine than the 990 or 998. She will be keeping this one for a long time....so she says.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

While I'm still waiting on delivery I just made this a same choice this week. I rode both weighed the money and the performance and had to go with the F3. It was too awesome in every way.. Power, speed, handling, just loved it. But had a blast on both. I also went that way because i wanted a warranty. I would have had to pay a couple of grand to get that as well so please factor that in. Good luck and hope you love either. I may be mad after my first payment is due lol.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I test drove the RSS and the F3S... I bought the F3S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    Starting to see discounts on the F3 spotted a black base for 16k.....I have also spotted a clean 2011 RSS for 9K is the F3 in your opinion worth the extra cash?

In a word after owning both - Yes, but that is my opinion. You should check out both before making your decision.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As others have stated, armpits and opinions....

There are two parts to your question. First, comparing the new RS to the F3, the price difference wouldn't be so great, but the F3 would always be more money. Secondly, the F3 rides and handles better than the RS even given that it weighs 100 pounds more.

And I do find the seating style on the F3 to be more 'user friendly' than the tucked-knee, forward-lean of the RS. Aesthetics are very personal: I prefer the F3 style - more edgey, less snowmobile-like (although I've heard some describe the F3 as a "garden tractor").

You'll also get better gas mileage on the F3 compared to the RS, especially at highway speeds. The 6th gear really helps on the F3.

The 990 motors will get out and move if, unlike me, you are prepared to let the rev's run. Sharing riding duties on my Ultra, it takes me a while to getting into shifting at 7 - 9K RPM. But then, oh, it is fun!

I do have an RT torsion bar and the better Fox-brand shocks all around (that was another $1400 though). The Nanny settings on the F3 allow for a bit more radical riding (although I have severely chastised on this forum for stating so). After owning and riding both styles of Spyder, I'd find a way to afford the F3!

Someone stated the rear shock wasn't good for two-up riding. It wasn't fit for 1-up riding, IMHO.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default YES on the F3

After owning a 2008 GS for four years, lots of mods, and lots of miles, I always felt that I was just sitting "ON' it.Highway pegs, Lamonster's cable operated hand brake, handlebar risers, Russel Day long saddle. The F3 you sit down in it, feet forward, better power, less nanny, great sound. The frunk is a little small. Love that 6 speed!

Spyder Garage

Default F3

F3 wins by far Des

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    My wife has had a 2009 RS, 2013 ST Limited, and now has the F3S. She loves the F3 more than any of the others. She says the power is better, the handling is better, the sitting position is far superior, and the interval between servicing is the best part. She would not go back. The 1330 F3 engine is far, and away a better engine than the 990 or 998. She will be keeping this one for a long time....so she says.

congrats on the new ride "spyderquester"!!! how are you guys doing?

Spyder Garage

Personal preference but YES.

Spyder Garage

Default Cheaper is better!

If you are not sure, an rs is much cheaper to start with! For 6 grand less, worth a try!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Demoed All Three

For me, the riding position on the F3 works out best. My 62 year old achy knees don't like to bend. The Ufit +2" works best for my 32" inseam. I've demoed the original 2008 Spyder as well as a couple of RTs (a 2013 S and a 2014 S) and a 2015 F3-S. For me the F3 wins hands down for leg comfort.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If cost is a factor, here's what I would do. First, right now you have no Spyder which is a bad thing. Whether it's an F3 or an RS, they are both better than nothing! The F3 is the better/step up and it's much newer so you won't see anything out there that is going to be less than an RS. You obviously like the sporty look and you get both with an F3 or RS. Additionally, your in MI which means you won't be riding for 3-4 months.

I would bargain hunt for a black RS while half the country isn't riding. Somebody out there is going to offer a deal that's below market value and you can easily have it shipped via a number of companies. Take it, ride the heck out of hit and either sell it or trade it in when your ready to afford an F3 later on, assuming that's what you ultimately want. Find the right year and various color schemes that are sought out by the broader buyers and have fun hunting for a just under priced bike that's been well taken care of. Once you sell, your really only out the "difference" between the purchase and sale price. If that's a couple of grand you can think of it like you rented a lot of fun on the cheap and bought up later when you were ready to get into what you may ultimately want. This way you haven't over spent, you had some fun and have the time to figure it out.

I'm sure this board would even help. We all like to hunt for bargains online and I'm sure there are a number of folks that could point you to one or they may even want to sell one because they just want to move on.