Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Vibration on 2014 RT

When I reach a speed of about 80 MPH my 2014 RT rides really harsh.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I get a roughness around 75, which I'm told is the drive belt. The Spyder's have a really long belt offering more opportunity for vibration. Some people have used a belt tensioner, but I'm not sure I'm willing to work that hard.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Drive Belt... look into one of the belt tensioners that are available from our sponsors.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Can anyone confirm the tensioner solves the problem, Mine has the same issue even right out of service with the belt tension checked, for me it starts about 77 MPH up to about 85.

Spyder Garage

There have been previous posts on this subject. I'd be curious to know if every single Spyder RT has belt vibration. It would seem that if so, we should mount a campaign to BRP (assuming they give a damn) asking for a current owners resolution to the problem. But as noted there are sponsors here who sell a belt tensioner that may or may not resolve your problem. I bought one, paid the dealer $100 (1 hour flat rate) to install the device. It helped some, narrowing the vibration range down a bit but did not totally resolve the issue. Others have reported total success. Smoothspyder offered to quickly refund my money, they're good about that, but I kept it as it did provide some relief. What actually did away with my belt vibration makes no sense, i.e. "I" don't know why but perhaps someone does. I went to Pittbull Powersports in Springfield, MO to have a pair of Elka 1+ shocks and the cat delete pipe installed (They were first rate and I very highly recommend them if you need such work done. Make a morning appointment. That helps.) After the install, I fired up and rode off home. NO VIBRATION. None. I was indeed astounded. And I'm a very famous, well known, pessimist. I said this once and a comment suggested I was full of .... But that aside, if you do the math, removal of the catalytic converter equals removal of the vibration..... If it quacks..... I'm not at all recommending you do what I did. I'm just reporting my personal experience. Nothing more. I'm a Happy Ryder.... And 6K miles later, still no vibration... (Ran the Tail of the Dragon two weeks ago. Quite a few Spyders. I'm not 100% sure but i believe I officially set the Tail land speed record. 36.146 MPH. As I said, I'm not certain. But I am certain there was NO belt vibration. A ride up from the South is a good practice warm up ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    There have been previous posts on this subject. I'd be curious to know if every single Spyder RT has belt vibration. It would seem that if so, we should mount a campaign to BRP (assuming they give a damn) asking for a current owners resolution to the problem. But as noted there are sponsors here who sell a belt tensioner that may or may not resolve your problem. I bought one, paid the dealer $100 (1 hour flat rate) to install the device. It helped some, narrowing the vibration range down a bit but did not totally resolve the issue. Others have reported total success. Smoothspyder offered to quickly refund my money, they're good about that, but I kept it as it did provide some relief. What actually did away with my belt vibration makes no sense, i.e. "I" don't know why but perhaps someone does. I went to Pittbull Powersports in Springfield, MO to have a pair of Elka 1+ shocks and the cat delete pipe installed (They were first rate and I very highly recommend them if you need such work done. Make a morning appointment. That helps.) After the install, I fired up and rode off home. NO VIBRATION. None. I was indeed astounded. And I'm a very famous, well known, pessimist. I said this once and a comment suggested I was full of .... But that aside, if you do the math, removal of the catalytic converter equals removal of the vibration..... If it quacks..... I'm not at all recommending you do what I did. I'm just reporting my personal experience. Nothing more. I'm a Happy Ryder.... And 6K miles later, still no vibration... (Ran the Tail of the Dragon two weeks ago. Quite a few Spyders. I'm not 100% sure but i believe I officially set the Tail land speed record. 36.146 MPH. As I said, I'm not certain. But I am certain there was NO belt vibration. A ride up from the South is a good practice warm up ride.
    I still have the vibration as well, even with a belt tensioner. How much louder did the exhaust get with the cat off?
    2015 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There have been previous posts on this subject. I'd be curious to know if every single Spyder RT has belt vibration. It would seem that if so, we should mount a campaign to BRP (assuming they give a damn) asking for a current owners resolution to the problem.
    Not everything that you don't like about your bike is a "problem". Sometimes; it's just a characteristic of the bike...
    If you really like the bike; you accept it.
    If you can't accept it; you either modify it, or move on to another one.

Spyder Garage

Since I know it's belt vibration when it occurs I ignore it and adjust speed to make it disappear if I have the opportunity.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

I had the muffler bypass installed and my 2014 RTS still has the vibration. My Triumph and my HD had vibrations, but at least on the RTS I can see clearly what's behind me in the mirrors.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Since I know it's belt vibration when it occurs I ignore it and adjust speed to make it disappear if I have the opportunity.
    There have been new specs put out on belt tension by BRP in a TST (Technical Service Tips) Bulletin in June 2015. Here is a link to comments I received from a BRP Certified Spyder Technician and what he says about belt vibration, belt tension and the revised specs. After you read the post, you might be able to better decide what to do.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1055935

Also here the link to the post with the TST Bulletin

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1050479
    Last edited by spydermanstever; 11-07-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Orright, my Spyder is a 2013 RT Ltd, but for what it's worth, it's never had any 'vibration' at any speed that wasn't obviously due to the dodgy OE Kenda tires & the 'not great' factory wheel alignment. I reduced those vibrations significantly after running about 3000 miles by fitting a Kumho rear tire to replace the very worn out Kenda. Then I got rid of the residual wheel vibration & the ride, road holding, & handling issues when I changed the front tires to Kumho's at about 4000 miles & got a 'proper' wheel alignment!! Belt tension has always been maintained at the (higher) factory spec which I'm led to believe is much the same as the 2014's..... So that certainly suggests that any vibrations on the 2014's will probably be engine/driveline related.

Spydercruiser, admittedly my motor's the V-twin & not the triple, but again for what it's worth, I ran it for about 2000 miles with the cat converter before fitting a 'cat eliminator' & doing some testing. The exhaust noise isn't any 'louder' when measured with the sound level meter at my nearest rego inspection station, but the timbre is certainly 'throatier' And along with marginally better fuel economy, the mid range throttle response & roll-on acceleration is noticeably better!! I'm not sure if the fuel economy improvement wasn't just due to losing the 5kg or so of excess weight in the cat converter or what, but every little bit counts with the V-twin motor!

Might all be different with the triple, but there's some free info to add grist to the mill!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2015 at 10:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Orright, my Spyder is a 2013 RT Ltd, but for what it's worth, it's never had any 'vibration' at any speed that wasn't obviously due to the dodgy OE Kenda tires & the 'not great' factory wheel alignment. I reduced those vibrations significantly after running about 3000 miles by fitting a Kumho rear tire to replace the very worn out Kenda. Then I got rid of the residual wheel vibration & the ride, road holding, & handling issues when I changed the front tires to Kumho's at about 4000 miles & got a 'proper' wheel alignment!! Belt tension has always been maintained at the (higher) factory spec which I'm led to believe is much the same as the 2014's..... So that certainly suggests that any vibrations on the 2014's will probably be engine/driveline related.

Spydercruiser, admittedly my motor's the V-twin & not the triple, but again for what it's worth, I ran it for about 2000 miles with the cat converter before fitting a 'cat eliminator' & doing some testing. The exhaust noise isn't any 'louder' when measured with the sound level meter at my nearest rego inspection station, but the timbre is certainly 'throatier' And along with marginally better fuel economy, the mid range throttle response & roll-on acceleration is noticeably better!! I'm not sure if the fuel economy improvement wasn't just due to losing the 5kg or so of excess weight in the cat converter or what, but every little bit counts with the V-twin motor!

Might all be different with the triple, but there's some free info to add grist to the mill!
    Thanks for all the info. I ordered the pipe, even if it does not stop the vibration I will like not having all that heat next to the drive belt and belt tensioner.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

I have the vibration at 70 mph. I installed the smoothspyder and I can't tell that it made any difference so I just accept the vibration or change my speed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

My 2015 has the vibration between 3500 and 4100. Tried the Smoothspyder with no help.
    Removed the Smoothsypder and drop the the tension to the new spec. still little help if any.
    Seems to me with the new spec. the Smoothsyper would only raise the tension back up.
    Had the front tires rebalanced at a auto dealship, added ride on, helped some.
    But still a sorry problem for a 30k bike. Makes it hard to love it, I'm trying as hard as I can
    to live with this problem. As far as living with the problem, I don't intend to settle for
    riding at a indicated 67 mph or pushing 80 on the super slab. It's just in the sweet spot.
    Last edited by akagone; 11-19-2015 at 04:30 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akagone View Post
    My 2015 has the vibration between 3500 and 4100. Tried the Smoothspyder with no help.
    Removed the Smoothsypder and drop the the tension to the new spec. still little help if any.
    Seems to me with the new spec. the Smoothsyper would only raise the tension back up.
    Had the front tires rebalanced at a auto dealship, added ride on, helped some.
    But still a sorry problem for a 30k bike. Makes it hard to love it, I'm trying as hard as I can
    to live with this problem. As far as living with the problem, I don't intend to settle for
    riding at a indicated 67 mph or pushing 80 on the super slab. It's just in the sweet spot.
    Some vibration is inherent in these machines due to the belt length. You might try getting the laser alignment to eliminate the possibility that it is front end related. Also, you did not state how many miles are on your machine - I found my vibrations lessened as my machine reached over 3000 miles and the belt broke in. As a last alternative, since you have a 2015 that has warranty, is to take it to a good dealer and let them see what they can do to minimize the problem. For me with my 2015 RTL, at 7000 miles, after changing and balancing the rear tire due to the original Kenda tire's premature wear, laser alignment, and re-tensioning the belt to the new spec at a good dealer, there is hardly any vibration now. Good luck to you - hope you can get it resolved/reduced to an acceptable level.
    Last edited by spydermanstever; 11-19-2015 at 06:05 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd be curious to know if every single Spyder RT has belt vibration. . .
    I gave mine a quick run up to an indicated 81 mph yesterday: no vibration whatsoever!
    (My 2010 used to buzz a bit at 75...)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad to know my bike is normal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the same vibration. It isn't that big of a deal to me now that I know what it is.

However, when I replaced the stock shocks to the Fox shocks, and the RJ antisway bar, the vibration GREATLY reduced in range of RPM's. I noticed it on the very first ride. Now I notice it in a much smaller range, and even forget about it sometimes.
    2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I cannot speak for the 1330 but the 998 also has a harmonic vibration with the engine and motor mounts.
    It can be perceived as speed related but in fact it is RPM related.
    Just so happens your at a certain RPM at a certain speed. e.g. your in 5th above 65 thus your at a certain RPM at say 75.

Some confuse this with it being the belt and it is not.

You 1330 folks since you have 6 speed tranny, might try dropping down a gear and see if you still have a vibration at the same speed.

The belt will be 100% speed related. Other vibrations may be RPM related. Try to isolate between the two.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 11-20-2015 at 11:46 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

All 1330's have a 6 speed transmission. The older 998's had the 5 speed.

I do believe this topic has been covered ad nauseum and would seemingly be relegated to the area of "nature of the beast". Belt tension, I'm sure plays a roll, and I'm equally sure there is some harmonics involved as well as fuelling issues all combined together.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Typo's corrected.... thanks for pointing that out

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post

I do believe this topic has been covered ad nauseum and would seemingly be relegated to the area of "nature of the beast". Belt tension, I'm sure plays a roll, and I'm equally sure there is some harmonics involved as well as fuelling issues all combined together.
    There are always new folks joining up (The O.P. is one of them...). For these new members, this is probably all very new information. We need to afford that same courtesy to them; that we got as newbies.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I cannot speak for the 1330 but the 998 also has a harmonic vibration with the engine and motor mounts.
    It can be perceived as speed related but in fact it is RPM related.
    Just so happens your at a certain RPM at a certain speed. e.g. your in 5th above 65 thus your at a certain RPM at say 75.

Some confuse this with it being the belt and it is not.

You 1330 folks since you have 6 speed tranny, might try dropping down a gear and see if you still have a vibration at the same speed.

The belt will be 100% speed related. Other vibrations may be RPM related. Try to isolate between the two.

Bob
    Finless, I recently went to the new lower tension spec. I won't report good or bad yet since I prefer to compare apples to apples and accomplish the comparison two up.

Riding solo, I did notice that the belt did vibrate not only in relation to speed but acceleration. Riding solo, the machine would be smooth at speed. In the known vibration range. However, if I added throttle, you feel the vibration. Once back into a constant setting, or cruise control, the vibration subsided.

No horse in this race, just mentioning what I noticed.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I run mine on the low side

I run the belt tension on the low side (220 lb. on the Krikit II with wheel in the ground) on my 1330 and I have minimum vibration. On some occasions like deceleration going up hill at high speeds after passing, the vibration will rattle your bones, but only for a short time. Same with going down hill but not as severe. Talked to smoothspyder the other day and he may be working on a top of the belt tensioner for RT's that could have promise for more success on solving this issue.

Spyder Garage

Belt vibration occurring from road HARMONICS cannot be stopped or CURED only reduced.
    It's a matter of physics.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    I still have the vibration as well, even with a belt tensioner. How much louder did the exhaust get with the cat off?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black