Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Paying it BACK?!?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'd love my wife to get her own machine..... But at this point I'm happy she at least let me have mine. Anybody have young kids they ride with? Like 16-18?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did it a little different for my wife. She didn't want me on cycles as I was looking for a new one after taking a few years off. I was looking for something fun and she actually suggested a Spyder. That was music to my ears and when I started looking I was originally thinking 2 up. However, I knew she had told me in her past she always wanted to ride so I took a chance. When I settled on the one I wanted(F3-S/Special Series/Triple Black), I decided to order 2 without telling her. She took it like a champ and is super excited. I felt that if I asked her she would immediately prefer the one but I felt that if I took that option off of the table, she would get excited and she sure did. She just needed to know that she could get her license on the Spyder which she can do here locally. Now I catch her on the computer looking at riding gear all of the time....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDeck View Post
    I did it a little different for my wife. She didn't want me on cycles as I was looking for a new one after taking a few years off. I was looking for something fun and she actually suggested a Spyder. That was music to my ears and when I started looking I was originally thinking 2 up. However, I knew she had told me in her past she always wanted to ride so I took a chance. When I settled on the one I wanted(F3-S/Special Series/Triple Black), I decided to order 2 without telling her. She took it like a champ and is super excited. I felt that if I asked her she would immediately prefer the one but I felt that if I took that option off of the table, she would get excited and she sure did. She just needed to know that she could get her license on the Spyder which she can do here locally. Now I catch her on the computer looking at riding gear all of the time....
    Wow!!! You are a brave man!! Hope that works out well for you!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marcojolo View Post
    I'd love my wife to get her own machine..... But at this point I'm happy she at least let me have mine. Anybody have young kids they ride with? Like 16-18?

back in the 2 wheel days all of my kids rode with me and took trips with me from time to time. Some of them liked it and some did not. Only 2 of them have picked it up and then not nearly as much as their Dad.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Riding with spouse

My wife and I have our own bikes , but this summer we had a wonderfull trip with my son and grandaughter down the California coast a trip of 1,265 miles my son has been on two wheels for 20 years but his wife did not want their daughter on one as she does not like the danger. Some how my son talked her into thinking of lettig her ride on the Spyder and she agreed. We had a great week long trip down to SoCal and then they flew home. My grandaughter (11) has a great trip to remember with her dad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Have a little fun if you dare. Switch the speedo from miles to KM prior to boarding. When your going 62 mph the speedo will say 100. If your on those famous 50 mph Kauai roads--should be about 90 KM or so.
    Now that would be fun, right up to the point at which she jabs me in the ribs.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My thought has always been is i don't want the added responsibility. My wife asked to learn to ride my spyder so i could take my Yamaha and we could put our daughter on back of the spyder and go for a family ride. I declined because she has no riding experience and i would be so concerned about her i would probably crash myself. We used to Scuba dive together but it sucked the fun out of it having to set up everything twice, carry everything twice and then spend the entire dive worried about her. plus i would never let a new rider put our daughter on the back. Now if your wife has tons of riding experience then it would be a different story and i would probably do it. But for now we enjoy going 2 up on it. Its the whole reason i bought the spyder, i would have just stuck with my yamaha but she wanted to ride with me and that is not a 2 up bike. i had a cruiser also which was great but figured the spyder so much safer so i sold the cruiser and picked up a used spyder. Hats off to the guy that bought 2 by the way and if he wants to adopt me let me know

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    My thought has always been is i don't want the added responsibility. My wife asked to learn to ride my spyder so i could take my Yamaha and we could put our daughter on back of the spyder and go for a family ride. I declined because she has no riding experience and i would be so concerned about her i would probably crash myself. We used to Scuba dive together but it sucked the fun out of it having to set up everything twice, carry everything twice and then spend the entire dive worried about her. plus i would never let a new rider put our daughter on the back. Now if your wife has tons of riding experience then it would be a different story and i would probably do it. But for now we enjoy going 2 up on it. Its the whole reason i bought the spyder, i would have just stuck with my yamaha but she wanted to ride with me and that is not a 2 up bike. i had a cruiser also which was great but figured the spyder so much safer so i sold the cruiser and picked up a used spyder. Hats off to the guy that bought 2 by the way and if he wants to adopt me let me know
    Good points..... Maybe I should be careful what I wish for.....[emoji15][emoji15]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    So what you're saying, is that including your Wife in activities as an active participant is more trouble, than it's worth?
    That can't possible sit well with her...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

we have done nearly 25,000 miles of two up riding in the last three years. even hit beartooth and chief joseph out in your neck of the woods. the wife doesn't want her own spyder. says she'd just as soon see the scenery and enjoy the ride. I love having her as a passenger and once we get the shock situation figured out on the new f3 we will continue to be happy campers!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So what you're saying, is that including your Wife in activities as an active participant is more trouble, than it's worth?
    That can't possible sit well with her...
    I kinda wondered about that, too. It seems the problem rests with him, not her.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not assigning any blame...

My motto has become:

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

My wife has no interest in driving.

Loves to ride and be tail fluff.

Love to have her along , just can't ride as agressive

If i was to scare her she wouldn't go period.
    I know what some of you may be thinking but i wouldn't do that to anyone let alone my wife

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The only downside to having your spouse ride his/her own machine is your gas mileage gets cut in half. But I'm fine with that!
    That's not the only downside, you also have twice the cost for machine purchase, insurance, maintenance, FARKLES, etc.

If riding her own isn't was she wants to do, then I wouldn't force the issue. I'd just enjoy the time she was willing to ride even if its only on the back every now and then.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have separate bikes. She feels the same way I do about riding on the back. No way. She likes her own control and freedom as do I. Having her on the back isn't nearly as sexy as I thought it would be. It is just hot and annoying. I can't relax because I am focused on her and she can't either because she worries about me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

From a women's point of view I had no idea how much I would enjoy riding my own bike. Have been on back of my husband's HD's for about 15 years. We had talked about it of & on but I needed 3 wheels. He guided me to the Spyders & I bought a 2013 rs used & loved it & a year later test road F3 & had to have it. Love that damn bike! I was out by myself today and road over 175 miles. At this point I do not want to be on the back. Give her time encourage her to ride yours. I will say if I would have road the F3 first I think it would have scared the crap out of me LOL! But riding has pushed me out of my comfort zone! Doing this makes my life so much better! Also encourage her to join GOS on facebook as that is one of the things that made me want to ride my own. Just my thoughts! Enjoy your bike!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amyred3 View Post
    From a women's point of view I had no idea how much I would enjoy riding my own bike. Have been on back of my husband's HD's for about 15 years. We had talked about it of & on but I needed 3 wheels. He guided me to the Spyders & I bought a 2013 rs used & loved it & a year later test road F3 & had to have it. Love that damn bike! I was out by myself today and road over 175 miles. At this point I do not want to be on the back. Give her time encourage her to ride yours. I will say if I would have road the F3 first I think it would have scared the crap out of me LOL! But riding has pushed me out of my comfort zone! Doing this makes my life so much better! Also encourage her to join GOS on facebook as that is one of the things that made me want to ride my own. Just my thoughts! Enjoy your bike!
    Thanks for the input ..... Much appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife picked out my Spyder for me after she had told me that when the Harley was gone there would be no more motorcycles. Although she still has her license, she has no interest in being the driver. Even if it is her own.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife has vertigo. She has never ridden with me in 58 years. She does support my riding. She gave me a Goldwing for Christmas in 2003! Yes she has a sister! Oh how I wish she could see all the thing I see. Even at a very low point, when I totaled my 2008 Wing on a deer in California, she had found 5 replacement Wings before I could fly home. How I love this woman!

Spyder Garage

Default Separate Spyders

So I finally got a spyder. I got the F3 and it was no easy feat talking my wife into letting me get one. She has taken a few short rides with me around town and seems to enjoy it. I would LOVE for her to get her own F3 and her and I do some longer rides......even day rides would be fun. I live out in the middle of nowhere in Montana and there are tons of places to ride out here where there is virtually no traffic. My question is to those of you who ride with your spouses or significant others. Do you ride two up or on separate bikes? What are the pros and cons of both and what do your partners prefer? I would love nothing better than to get my wife a spyder next year and for us to ride to the Glacier national park or the black hills or beartooth pass etc. Thanks for any info or insight you can give me. If I can't get my wife to ride with me I guess I will have to wait until my 10 yr. old boy is old enough to ride......He LOVES riding with me now. Anybody ride with their kids??
    We each have our own RS Spyders!! I enjoy driving my own bike. Before the Spyders we each had scooters!! So we have really trad3d upto better bikes and experiences. We drove from Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada to Johnson Creek Wisc.for the Rendezvous. This was my first long distance trip. I can hardly wait to go on more road trips 👍

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We bought our Spyder RT 4 months ago. Hubby drives and I ride behind him. I have carpal tunnel and driving is a challenge for me to go far even in our truck. We
    have Bluetooth equipment for long rides. It works well. We don't normally use it for around town. I like rides that are around 45 mph. We have one such
    ride from our town over to another one that is about 30 miles away. It goes through farmland, some smaller towns and past some new developments.
    I don't know that I'd like to be a driver (if I had the ability). One reason we have GPS is because I have a knack for getting us lost. I'm happy to be a one Spyder couple.

Spyder Garage

So I finally got a spyder. I got the F3 and it was no easy feat talking my wife into letting me get one. She has taken a few short rides with me around town and seems to enjoy it. I would LOVE for her to get her own F3 and her and I do some longer rides......even day rides would be fun. I live out in the middle of nowhere in Montana and there are tons of places to ride out here where there is virtually no traffic. My question is to those of you who ride with your spouses or significant others. Do you ride two up or on separate bikes? What are the pros and cons of both and what do your partners prefer? I would love nothing better than to get my wife a spyder next year and for us to ride to the Glacier national park or the black hills or beartooth pass etc. Thanks for any info or insight you can give me. If I can't get my wife to ride with me I guess I will have to wait until my 10 yr. old boy is old enough to ride......He LOVES riding with me now. Anybody ride with their kids??

My spouse rode 1,300 miles as a passenger, Middle of September 2013 thru middle of November 2013.
    "Baby" came out of hibernation on March 31 of 2014 and she got her license on May 24, 2014. Through yesterday she has logged 19,000 miles as "Rider in Command".

For 15,000 of those mile I rode my Vstar 950T, but for the last 4,000 I have been on my own 2015 RTS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geosik View Post
    My spouse rode 1,300 miles as a passenger, Middle of September 2013 thru middle of November 2013.
    "Baby" came out of hibernation on March 31 of 2014 and she got her license on May 24, 2014. Through yesterday she has logged 19,000 miles as "Rider in Command".

For 15,000 of those mile I rode my Vstar 950T, but for the last 4,000 I have been on my own 2015 RTS.
    Had your wife ever rode a motorcycle before? I'm hopeful I can get my wife to at least drive a little bit and get a little excited about it....[emoji39]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    My wife has vertigo. She has never ridden with me in 58 years. She does support my riding. She gave me a Goldwing for Christmas in 2003! Yes she has a sister! Oh how I wish she could see all the thing I see. Even at a very low point, when I totaled my 2008 Wing on a deer in California, she had found 5 replacement Wings before I could fly home. How I love this woman!
    You truly are a VERY lucky Guy!!