Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Weight Capacity Question

I saw the 440lbs weight limit for the Spyder. Unfortunately my wife & I would be about 475lbs. Anyone else in this situation & can tell me I'm really risking damage to the Sypder? REALLY wanna buy one but was hoping to be riding as a couple.......not alone

arntufun

You and the Spyder would be fine............... Buy one and get on the thing and ride it like you stole it. The Spyder has plenty of power to handle that, but I would just make sure you adjust the rear shock to 5.

If I listened to every restriction out there, I would never have any fun. FYI........I'm the type of guy that rips my mattress tags off. I'm sort of a real rebel...............
    Last edited by arntufun; 07-05-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

If you do decide to get a Spyder, remember that you will have no room for cargo if you are already pushing the weight limits. I'd suggest a trailer for the cargo.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At our, ummm, largest, the GF and I together in gear on the bike weighed well over 600 lbs (I won't tell you the distribution ).

That said, we never took trips longer than a couple hundred mile day trips, and hoonage had to be kept to an absolute minimum-- I rode like an old woman.* Spyder handled well enough, but the shocks needed to be jacked up, and the rear *will* bottom out over a big-enough pothole so avoid those with the rear tire.

* No offense to old women

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

None taken Dave!
    It almost sounds like a trade up to an RT might want to be put on your Christmas list... (525 pound limit)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Over that limit here and still put cargo on it, never had an issue. I put my front shocks to the highest setting as well, helps with the feeling of it tipping to one side during a turn. Got the elkas now so that is helped even more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    You and the Spyder would be fine............... Buy one and get on the thing and ride it like you stole it. The Spyder has plenty of power to handle that, but I would just make sure you adjust the rear shock to 5.

If I listened to every restriction out there, I would never have any fun. FYI........I'm the type of guy that rips my mattress tags off. I'm sort of a real rebel...............
    It's been awhile since I adjusted the rear shock; but, I thought that one adjusted to 7 and the fronts maxed out at 5.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You should be fine as long as you don't over do it. I would check the break pad wear on a regular basis, just to be on the safe side!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WEIGHT THOUGHTS

IMHO, The listed maximums on all products that require them are a combination of physical testing and LAWYER recommedations for CYA purposes.. i.e. when a 6 ft. step ladder says rated for 250 lbs., they have probably tested it at 400 lbs. but the lawyers recommend 250 lbs. to cover themselves against lawsuits......Is the Spyder dangerous at over 440 lbs. I don't think so....Over 550 lbs. I don't think so .....But do increase your pre-load to 5 all around to assist the driving capabilities and don't try to TURN it as fast as you think it will go.....JMHO....Mike...ride safe....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just a note the BRP people place the weight restrictions, but they also talk about what happens if you go over those limits saying that handling and safety may be reduced but they do not say anything about damage to the Spyder that I have found.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO, The listed maximums on all products that require them are a combination of physical testing and LAWYER recommedations for CYA purposes.. i.e. when a 6 ft. step ladder says rated for 250 lbs., they have probably tested it at 400 lbs. but the lawyers recommend 250 lbs. to cover themselves against lawsuits......Is the Spyder dangerous at over 440 lbs. I don't think so....Over 550 lbs. I don't think so .....But do increase your pre-load to 5 all around to assist the driving capabilities and don't try to TURN it as fast as you think it will go.....JMHO....Mike...ride safe....
    I double checked and the rear can be set to 7; at least that's the way it is on a 2008. Why not take the rear to 7, if you are going to be over max weight?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default my experience---

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I double checked and the rear can be set to 7; at least that's the way it is on a 2008. Why not take the rear to 7, if you are going to be over max weight?
    the wife and i go about 425 and we're set at 5 on the rss.(both front and rear) it has never bottomed out on us. for 600 i'd definitely go to 6 or 7 though.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been meaning to ask this question: is there a difference between towing a trailer and operating the Spyder with weight restriction exceeded? On the RT SE5 we have the Trailer Mode. Is it proper to use this mode when not towing a trailer? Any risk to the bike? Can using the trailer mode with the weight restriction exceeded be a good suggestion, especially on steep runs like we had in Durango?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    the wife and i go about 425 and we're set at 5 on the rss.(both front and rear) it has never bottomed out on us. for 600 i'd definitely go to 6 or 7 though.
    I believe you have Fox shocks on the 2012 RSS, which may account for not bottoming out when set to 5. I don't believe the shocks used on the RS are as good as those on the RSS.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    I've been meaning to ask this question: is there a difference between towing a trailer and operating the Spyder with weight restriction exceeded? On the RT SE5 we have the Trailer Mode. Is it proper to use this mode when not towing a trailer? Any risk to the bike? Can using the trailer mode with the weight restriction exceeded be a good suggestion, especially on steep runs like we had in Durango?
    In my opinion, and mine alone, it sure wouldn't hurt to use trailer mode (or your own good judgement in shift points) when riding heavily loaded. From the posts here recently, far too many SE owners are short shifting and failing to use the rpm band properly or effectively. The Spyder comes alive at 5K, and should be run in the upper half of its rpm range for the most part. JMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    FYI........I'm the type of guy that rips my mattress tags off. I'm sort of a real rebel...............
    What... a... real... rebel!!! I bet you throw plastic bottles in the aluminum recycle bin!

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    It's been awhile since I adjusted the rear shock; but, I thought that one adjusted to 7 and the fronts maxed out at 5.

Opps Ron............. I ment max out the rear. I was thinking of the fronts when I said 5.

Spyder Garage

Default the replies to my stupid question..........

thanx to everyone for the replaies about going overweight. i'm using the 525 limit to "inform the wife" that WE need an RT!! she liked her ride on it......now it's time to find just the right one.......my bet is a white limited.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Way to go!! A built-in reason for an upgrade!
    You know; the RTS and Limited models have an onboard air compressor for adjusting the rear suspension... It doesn't add capacity, but it does allow for some easier tinkering with the settings to find what works best...

Spyder Garage

Default Towing Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    My understanding is that towing mode adjusts the brake balance, not just weight. It seems to me that setting the shocks to a higher level would be better than using the towing mode without a trailer. I would think that using the towing mode without a trailer could make braking a bit strange in a rapid stop.

Spyder Garage

I drive with Trailer mode on quite often. I like the way it changes the down shift rpm's. I have never had a problem.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gene0108 View Post
    I drive with Trailer mode on quite often. I like the way it changes the down shift rpm's. I have never had a problem.
    I started using TM without the trailer while in Durango. I really liked the torque it gave me, especially while going down the steep grades. Look ma, no brakes!

But then my clutch hub broke while going uphill while leaving Durango and I often wondered if it was my fault. But I don't see how. I REALLY like that TM feature though the more I use it. Reminds me of the split shift on the old Reos. Ina way, you can brag how you got 10 forward gears on the Spyder.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default Testing

what the heck is going on here? am I going crazy? are those diving weights on the passenger's belt? is that rear seat scraping on the tire? and are they doing this on purpose? what is the deal
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

^ No idea; probably; yep; not quite; no idea; & no idea!