Spyder Garage

Question Fellow Spyder Riders Help Me With Hip Pain While Riding Our New Spyder

Guys and Gals, we've had our new RT Limited Spyder just over a month now and have 1500 miles on it. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I could really use some help with a problem that has developed when I ride. Ee have a 2015 RT Limited with a stock seat but I've added the Diamond R armrests, Utopia back rest and Lamonster road pegs. I'm a musclular 5'7" and 200 pounds and 64 years old. I am in decent shape as I can work hard everyday doing physical labor and can lift heavy items with little to no problems. I can paddle a Kayak for miles so my problem is just not being in bad physical condition.

When I ride the Spyder I can go about 40 miles when, as best I can describe it, I get hip pain in both hips....sometimes leading to cramps around my hips.

At about 40 miles my hips feel very stiff and when I get off the Spyder I am ready to walk it off for sure. I'm not sure if I may be doing something wrong or perhaps there is something else I might try to help with this problem. My wife riding behind me could ride a hundred miles without problem. The Spyder handles well so I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I sure would like to be able to ride more than 40 miles at a time....

The footboards are slightly angled down in the front.

Any ideas that might help with this problem? Thanks in advance for any and all help....
    Last edited by Synthetic; 09-17-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

I am similar size and weight and have the hip issues you mentioned.

My ride is a 2014 RT-S with the downward pointing floorboards. I found them to be better for me than the flatter floorboards that I had on my 2010 RTS.

The stock (OEM) seat is suspect. I have found them to be to mushy and about every 50 miles I had to stop and get off the seat. I put 14K miles on mine before opting for the BRP Comfort seat.

In conjunction with the OEM seat, I carried an Airhawk pad and a gel seat. One or the other gave me enough stretch to take some of the pain out of my hips. There were days when I had to do both pads to get it right.

Since moving to the BRP Comfort seat, I have not had a need for the Airhawk or the gel/sheepskin seat. I usually get off and stretch near a hundred miles or so.

I also find at the beginning of each season, it takes me a couple weeks to get back the muscles that I have not used riding. This makes for some added hip pain for a couple weeks (about 1500 miles worth).

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've had it happen to me on a few different motorcycles, (different peg heights I assume)not the Spyder though. I usually stand on the pegs once or twice and it goes away. You could try doing some squats before you ride and see if that loosens the hips a bit.

Good luck.

Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

You might also try a "Airhawk R" cushion, you can inflate them to your desired spot, they come with a 30 (or Better) day return policy, i use one all the time and it allows me to move around in the seat into several positions and it also elevates me up slightly to prevent hip fatigue. google "Airhawk R" on the web.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    You might also try a "Airhawk R" cushion, you can inflate them to your desired spot, they come with a 30 (or Better) day return policy, i use one all the time and it allows me to move around in the seat into several positions and it also elevates me up slightly to prevent hip fatigue. google "Airhawk R" on the web.

Cruzr Joe
    I actually was considering buying an Airhawk to try but didn't want to spend the money and then find out it didn't help.....I was not aware of the return policy in case it didn't work for me....thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post
    I've had it happen to me on a few different motorcycles, (different peg heights I assume)not the Spyder though. I usually stand on the pegs once or twice and it goes away. You could try doing some squats before you ride and see if that loosens the hips a bit.

Good luck.

Pat
    Thank you, I will give that a try...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same problem at first then I went with the comfort seat and that helped my hips..After that I ended up with the ultimate seat because I felt like I was on a angle sitting it the seat. Try a seat that sits you back a couple of inches and see what you think..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a different issue, between my spine and shoulder blade, left side only killing me after 30-40 miles, went to a chiropractor and he fixed me. Had no real answer other than new position, muscles bitching. Look at all of the above and maybe a Doc.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with CruzrJoe: the Airhawk R is certainly worth trying.
    Mu guess is that your hip angle, is causing some reduction of circulation in your legs.
    (I had this with the seat on my 2010 RT...)
    I added a sheepskin seat cover, and it gave me JUST enough lift, to unclog the passages...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

In conjunction with the OEM seat, I carried an Airhawk pad and a gel seat. One or the other gave me enough stretch to take some of the pain out of my hips. There were days when I had to do both pads to get it right. Anytime you have a muscle that crosses two joints, you may end up with the OP's problem. What you've suggested is one way to try and help alleviate the problem.

I also find at the beginning of each season, it takes me a couple weeks to get back the muscles that I have not used riding. This makes for some added hip pain for a couple weeks (about 1500 miles worth). This is the best part of your post. If you do some type of exercise on a regular basis, you may not have to go thru that extra pain at the beginning of each riding season. For those that can get on the floor, foam rolling is excellent when done on a regular basis.
    With all that being said, you (the OP) may want to try to find the actual root cause of your problem, by visiting your primary care physician or a physical therapist.

There's one more thing that's real easy, and doesn't cost much, and that is to keep hydrated.

To the OP, I see you work out. The one thing to keep in mind is, are you working both the muscle(s) flexion and extension equally; in particular the hip and knee flexion/extension. A massage therapist one time found I worked my flexors more than my extensors, especially in my upper body, and she was correct.

Since you kayak, I'd say you work your back muscles with the rowing action vs your chest muscles. I'd also say you work your quads as you push down on your legs as you row; so there isn't much hamstring action going on. I base that on the way I row; of course, no ones ever accused me of being a good kayaker.
    Last edited by wyliec; 09-18-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Cruzr Joe
    I have an Airhawk R & it really helps with the stock seat. I don't seem to get the hip stiffness as much since I got it. One of the straps that hold it to the seat tore out, and even though it was out of warranty, they replaced it anyway. I reinforced the stitching on the new one, and have not had that problem.

Here is the link.

http://www.motorcyclecushions.net/c-...-cushions.aspx
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have a bad left hip and after 5 years and 95,000 km, I put my Spyder on sale. It's a 2010 RTS SE5. I have a hip with lot of arthrosis. Same for my knees and shoulders. 3 years ago, I buy the Airhawks R cushion and that cushion help me a lot. But the arthrosis progress again this year and I have pain in my hip as soon I get on the Spyder.

When my Spyder will be sold, I will buy a Mazda MX-5. I will continue to ride with my Spyder friends but in a small car.

I check the H-D new trike, but the comfort is less than the Spyder.

I like very much to ride on my Spyder but I am not able to do more...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

as everyone always says, YOU NEED TO MAKE THE BIKE YOURS, so i did. i was getting the hip pains like charlie horses and i found that adding the hand brake, highway pegs, and comfort seat got rid of them. costs a lot to do, but well worth it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee...
    When I had hip pain; I added Chrome, Lights, and Custom Vinyl Graphics...
    It didn't help with the pain, but I didn't mind!

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post

Good luck.

Pat

I agree. My pain is like someone has taken a brace and bit and is boring a hole into my side hips. (actually a tad lower than where my hips are). Someone earlier also mentioned it feeling like a charlie horse or cramp in the hip area. I find that standing on my floorboards (a bit risky going 70 mph down an interstate) helps. I've also found that the squats help. I usually experience this pain, for lack of a better term, if I'm trying to place my feet on the lower black wing guards as though they are pegs. (I know. You're not supposed to do that, but I have). This has lead me to the conclusion that it is your leg and foot position. I also find that if I take my foot and slide it to the farthest point back on my floorboards that sometimes the cramp will go away.

Hope this helps.

​Chris

Spyder Garage

Post Pain on my right inner thigh

I have pain in my inner thigh on the right. I especially feel it when I am turning right. I too will try the airhawk cushion. I agree that squats do help a little.

Blade

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat may be to wide

What is your inseam ? the RT seat and the GoldWing seats are wide
    if you have shorter legs say 26-27-28 29 you may need to have your
    seat narrowed, not hard to do at any GOOD automotive upholstery shop
    or you can do it. Call me I will tell you how it's done. The Air pad or
    sheep skin most likely will do nothing for your hips but your butt will like it.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if you have access to other Spyder riders, but if you can try a ST model (I have a 2013 STL), try it. It is not as wide in the body so your legs (knees) are a bit closer together. This translates to better comfort in the hips for me and I like it better than the 2012 RTS I had.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

Like some of the earlier posts, I have had similar pain in my right hip or below my right hip. The trigger for me is stopping at a traffic signal, resting my weight on my right leg, moving my right foot to the peg, and then the cramp starts as I depart thru the intersection. I stand on the pegs until the pain ceases. My doctor could not offer any solutions.

For me the good news is that my feet do not leave the pegs at a traffic signal on my Spyder.

Hope you find a solution.
    -Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Default Wallet was my issue.

It used to happen to me a lot. Now that I only ride with Kevlar lined cargo pants, I put my wallet in the cargo pouch. It has really helped. I still get a twinge every once in a while but nowhere near as often or as bad. I like the pants so much I pretty much wear them everyday, even when I take the cage.

(In case anyone is wondering. they are Bilt Iron Workers. You can get them at Cycle Gear.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

I agree. My pain is like someone has taken a brace and bit and is boring a hole into my side hips. (actually a tad lower than where my hips are). Someone earlier also mentioned it feeling like a charlie horse or cramp in the hip area. I find that standing on my floorboards (a bit risky going 70 mph down an interstate) helps. I've also found that the squats help. I usually experience this pain, for lack of a better term, if I'm trying to place my feet on the lower black wing guards as though they are pegs. (I know. You're not supposed to do that, but I have). This has lead me to the conclusion that it is your leg and foot position. I also find that if I take my foot and slide it to the farthest point back on my floorboards that sometimes the cramp will go away.

Hope this helps.

​Chris
    Chris, that sounds just like what I experience...

Spyder Garage

I have been having issues with both knees and hips for about a year now (I'm 68) last month I added highway pegs to my 2013 RT and alternate the use by stretching my leg and that has helped not only with the hip discomfort but also with lower leg circulation.

Spyder Garage

I put Lamonster's road pegs on a couple weeks ago and I really like them but I still get the pain. It does help to reposition my legs and feet but does not cure the problem....

Spyder Garage

Default REMEDY

BUY THE F3-S....
    that'll solve your hip problem....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    BUY THE F3-S....
    that'll solve your hip problem....
    Isn't that just about the most expensive cure possible?