Spyder Garage

Default Communication delimma

Just purchased my first Spyder (2012 RT Limited) and new to this web site. I want to install a communication package for myself and my wife. The bike has the radio and iPod built in and I have a GPS. I know I want a Sena SMH10 headset. I also want to purchase a Can Am Dongle, but everything I have read says that it is designed for models 2013 and later. It appears to come with brackets and connection cables. Will It work with my 2012 model and are there any installation videos available? I suspect this has been covered before on this forum, so I apologize ahead of time....thanks, Ted Fontenot

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BRP BT dongle will work on any RT that has a radio. Same cable for all years.
    The BRP setup is a Sena SM10, a mounting bracket, and a cable. It is over priced in my opinion.

Now, many have had issue with the BRP setup as it mounts in the front trunk and seems to have disconnect and static issues.
    If you buy the BRP cable I recommend you mount it in the rear trunk instead.

An alternative is contact Motorcycle Dave. He sells the Sena SM10 and a cable that mounts the SM10 in your rear trunk. Cost is a lot less.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Motorcycle Dave idea. His dongle is the same as BMG but comes directly from Sena and is cheaper by quite a bit. It also comes with the requisite cable and good instructions on how to install. It also comes with Dave's fast free and friendly advice if needed.If you use his cable it will be powered thru the radio. I have this set up on my 2012 RT Limited though I installed it in the trunk.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze