Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS error = ??overheated ignition?? = ice pack-???BRP recall?

Got my first DESS key error today -26,800 miles on 2014 SRS SM5 - of course was about 80 miles from home on a Sunday cruise, stopped for gas and water break, parked in the sun, temps in middle 80s today, and the DESS Key error message happened, unable to restart the bike. BRP Cust. Asst most helpful "call roadside assistance for a tow". So we (husband) rolled the bike into the shade and since the key felt VERY hot, applied an ice gel pack to the ignition. After about 10 minutes of cooling was able to restart the bike. Happened again a few hours later when I made the mistake of leaving the key in the ignition while stopping to change to a clear helmet visor. So again applied ice pack for 5 minutes and was able to restart.
    Does this mean I need to carry ice gel packs on all longer rides?
    Why is there no recall on this if so many riders are having this problem?

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimertime View Post
    Got my first DESS key error today -26,800 miles on 2014 SRS SM5 - of course was about 80 miles from home on a Sunday cruise, stopped for gas and water break, parked in the sun, temps in middle 80s today, and the DESS Key error message happened, unable to restart the bike. BRP Cust. Asst most helpful "call roadside assistance for a tow". So we (husband) rolled the bike into the shade and since the key felt VERY hot, applied an ice gel pack to the ignition. After about 10 minutes of cooling was able to restart the bike. Happened again a few hours later when I made the mistake of leaving the key in the ignition while stopping to change to a clear helmet visor. So again applied ice pack for 5 minutes and was able to restart.
    Does this mean I need to carry ice gel packs on all longer rides?
    Why is there no recall on this if so many riders are having this problem?
    That's really interesting. How hot was it outside when this happened? I'm curious because I live in Arizona where it's very common to ride in temperatures above 110. Fortunately, I have not had this problem.

I'm going to watch this thread to see what the oracles have to say about it.

Pam

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Possible radiant engine heat?

I have been having some stuff going on with my bike that I feel are ignition related also. Not only may ambient temperature may be involved, but it may also be a heat issue coming up from the engine. I have noticed that if mine sits long enough the problem goes away. It has only occurred with quick restarts (less than 10 minutes) and has not occurred while the bike is running.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS error and overheating

It was in the mid 80s (and sitting in direct sun) when the initial error code occurred, and and low 80s second time. The key came out of the ignition feeling very hot. This is why we tried cooling the ignition area down.
    So I'll make sure the bike is in the shade while I'm at work and when we stop on our rides,and not leave the key in the ignition. No problems starting this morning or for the ride home.
    I've had the bike only 13 mos and 26,800 miles without having issues, other than going thru oil, which has stopped when the clamp to the breather hose to air cleaner was tightened.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default No,no, no...

They need to replace the faulty parts. This temporary repair method may not last and you will get to where your stuck wherever it happens. Why not a recall..?? Don't know what I think is that they don't know which ones are faulty so replace them as they fail..seems they would replace them all and let the manufacturer deal with it...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have rode the bike 3 times for a total of 150 miles. I have made sure that if I shut the bike down I pull the key and wait at least 15 minutes before restarting. So far, no codes have repeated themselves.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the key was that hot; what was the rest of the metal on the bike feeling like?
    Could the DESS module have had a short in the power lead? Would that heat up a key?
    Did the bike crank over normally, when you did manage to start it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HOT ignition

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If the key was that hot; what was the rest of the metal on the bike feeling like?
    Could the DESS module have had a short in the power lead? Would that heat up a key?
    Did the bike crank over normally, when you did manage to start it?
    1) I do plan to call a dealer today to order a new ignition
    2) what is the bypass for the security?

Thinking that it's the key security portion of ignition that is overheating and causing the overload

I think, in part, it's the combo of engine heat venting up in that spot, and for me, it was sitting in the sun at the time. And can't wait 15 minutes to cool down when refuelling.

Concern is when will this happen again (figure it will) and WHY ISNT BRP STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE AND ADDRESSING THIS?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which bike do you have?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool DESS

I have a 2014 ST SM5. Purchased July 2014, and just topped 29,000 miles this morning going to work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For some misguided reason; I was under the incorrect assumption that this was largely affecting only the RTs...
    This might be due to the fact that they had ignition switch issues in 2014...
    Since you're on an ST; I'm not sure just how the airflow underneath the Tupperware escapes...