Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Stolen Spyders ?

This is just a curiosity conversation thing but have many Spyders been stolen ?

Due to their size and width, chipped key, start up procedure (that non owners would not be aware of), auto trans shifting...........I would think that stealing a Spyder may be more difficult than a 2-wheeler.

2 wheeled motorcycles, if they cant just push them off....it has been known that crooks would just pull up to it in a van with a car motor hoist....chain up to it, pick it up, swing it in the van and in less that a few minutes.....gone. Harder to do with a Spyder.

Comments ? Thefts ?

What do you do while on trips at Hotels for Security ?
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never park my bike where I can't see it...
    When stopped for the night; the bars get locked to one side or the other, the keys are removed, and everything is emptied from it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not sure..!!

I have not heard of any but am a relatively new comer. Akspyderman mentioned maybe five ...they are also a hard sell or parted out to easy to watch for. I worry some most likely a joy ryde into a tree if they got that far...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I heard of a couple, one at a motel where they came in with trailer but not sure how they moved it since the Parking Brakes has to be on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i think there was one person last year that had they bike stolen. i think it was in ohio

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=bike+stolen
    Last edited by cuznjohn; 07-31-2015 at 04:54 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I never park my bike where I can't see it...
    What does the Misses think of having the next to the bed.
    Or is the on the bed and the Misses on the floor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    Don't forget the computer, where does the computer sleep???
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    She's actually pretty good with it...
    After 32 years; she appreciate the peace and quiet that it affords her!

Spyder Garage

In the five years that I have been on site, I believe the count is less than five posted.

If you don't have five burley guys with a trailer--it is pretty hard to hot wire and steal a . Yes, the routine about hitting mode first is easily available, but most of these people can't read anyway.

A serious thief, if he wants your , is going to take it though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have stayed at some shady motels in my travels with the Spyder but I never had a problem. I always parked it under a light that I can see from my room. The thing is, If someone really wants to steal it, they will find a way. That is what insurance is for. You can't start it without the key in range and it will take at least 6 men to lift the 800+ pounds to put it on the back of a truck. (most thieves don't run in packs... it's usually one or two). If someone tried to drag it onto a flatbed, that would make so much noise it would attract attention. (thieves don't like attention)

When I got my first Spyder I was worried about theft, It's not like it's a Sportster that you can replace for $9k or a sport bike that is $5-8k.

Over time my biggest concern has been people trying to sit on it when I am not around and even that has not been an issue for me. (although it is for some folks: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...e-this-problem)

Like I said, that is what insurance is for.

CAC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At SpyderF someone tried to steal my towing trailer, the bike was not on it. Apparently the year before someone stole the trailer with the bike on it. IMO if you lock the steering wheel, park in the light, it would be a bigger problem than 99% of the low lifes would mess with. You'd probably just have some damage where they tried.

I'd think that it would boil down to a ordered theft, they had an order for your year's bike. Then they would come prepared, and scoop it up. Why steel a Spyder when lots of cars are easier and easier to get rid of. Without the key no one is jumping on and going for a joy ride. If you always left it in gear, most wouldn't know that you needed to put on the brake. They also wouldn't know where the safety card was and in a hurry and dark wouldn't find the mode switch.

Not something at the top of my worry list.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Police told me once that sport bikes are the ones most often stolen. This was while I was reporting the theft of my 80cc scooter. Huh.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Stolen

To prevent thieves from stealing my spyder I try not to park or stay at dives (shady hotel/motels) and try to keep it insight of my room. I also have a sign that states this bike is protected by Smith & Wesson.

Blade

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Police told me once that sport bikes are the ones most often stolen. This was while I was reporting the theft of my 80cc scooter. Huh.
    ~Sandee~
    A man can pick up and move an 80cc scooter by himself. For most motorcycle thefts, it all about weight and opportunity. Unless you leave the key in it.

The lightest street legal bikes are some dual sports, like the Yamaha XT225 at 238 pounds dry. A Ninja 250 is around 300 pounds or so (if memory serves).

My Sportster is about 600 pounds and my Spyder tips the scales at over 800 pounds. Not much worried about theft as I am about vandalism or idiots trying to sit on them and causing damage. (not such a worry on the Sporty. I can leave that damn near anywhere and people give it a wide birth. It's funny how TV makes people think everyone who rides a Harley is an Outlaw)

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

If I remember correctly, someone from out East was up in Canada when someone stole the truck and trailer with Spyder inside. I think that was 2 or 3 years ago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default They can figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    start up procedure (that non owners would not be aware of)
    Don't be to sure of this. Several years ago we had an IT guy from Ohio helping at my location. He rode a two-wheeler, and while talking about (my then RS) said how he misses being able to ride right now. I tossed him my key, and said I will be right out. When I walked out a minute later I saw him drive off on it, and of course he almost crashed because he did not know there was no hand brake.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    If I remember correctly, someone from out East was up in Canada when someone stole the truck and trailer with Spyder inside. I think that was 2 or 3 years ago.
    I remember the Spyder had the key in it and they stole the trailer with the Spyder in it?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Just like cars the thief's want to strip and sell parts quick. There is no market for used can am parts. If you leave your key in it someone might take it for a joy ride.

Spyder Garage

Default Good Thread!

I never thought much about this before , but it is rather comforting to realize how difficult the Spyder is to steal with the key gone and the handlebars locked.

I was on a trip last month, and slept in a motel for two nights with my Spyder parked outside. I locked the compartments each night, but never thought to lock the handlebars. ( I keep forgetting that you can do that. ) it was a fairly safe location though.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

That was NJEddie and he was attending the Magog Spyder event. The thieves cut the hinges on the trailer door, somehow got the bike out and it was gone. Don't remember the details but remember well chatting with NJEddie about it. This reminds me that I haven't seen him on here in a very long time. Anyone see him at Spyderfest this year?

ken tompkins

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cover tend to discourage people from sitting on the. I used a cable lock thru both front wheels for a long time, then just quit and locked the handlebars. parking in the light whenever possible.
    If you use a able lock on any bike, have a cord that goes to the handlebars, so you do not forget it is on.
    Oldmanzues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Don't forget the computer, where does the computer sleep???
    The computer never sleeps! You don't think Bob got nearly 58K posts all by himself, do you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I remember back in 09 at the Red Carpet Event in Hollywood BRP officials were unlocking handlebars with a master key to move the vehicles out of the way of other owners before going on our run up Angeles Crest Hwy. I can't recall if they started them. I want to think a lonely Spyder may be safer than a cluster of them. It stands out like a naked lady in the parking lot. But you have 200 naked ladies which one do you look at (or not)? I have my guesses who will answer this first.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not meeeee....