Spyder Garage

Default Issue with repair time and getting repairs done.

So I have a 2013 RT-S and the air suspension quit working. I called dealer for schedule of repair to this on Tuesday 6-23-15 and was told that they are running 1 to 3 days out. So we made arrangements for me to have it in there on Thursday 6-25-15. I actually took it and dropped it off on Wednesday 6-24-15 as this was going to work out better for me. I waited patiently for word of problem/repairs. So on Wednesday 7-1-15 I call to check on it and was told that they air pump was bad and parts were ordered and they are waiting on the parts to get there and would have it repaired as soon as the parts arrive. Finally on Tuesday 7-14-15 I get the call that it is ready to be picked up, told him that I would be there after work to pick it up. I had my brother take me after work and picked it up. I watched as they Service Manager had to move 4 other motorcycles to get it out of their storage area (not sure why it was there to begin with). He rode it out to lot, left it running and said there you go. I asked him if I needed to sign any paperwork or anything, he said no, good to go (thought this was strange).

I looked over the exterior of the bike, got on and rode off. Rode about a mile to my father-in-laws house, shut it off and was there for a couple of hours. When I got ready to leave, I got on bike, put the key in, turned it on and waited for the self check to complete. When it went to switch to the safety card screen the display flashed and went back to the display of CAN-AM and kept repeating this. I tried to start it, which it did start. The display was blank, traction control light was on as was the check engine light. I cycled this a few times, then took it for a ride. It would shift from first to second at first and then it would not shift from first gear (was in limp mode), ABS light came on, parking light came on, power steering quit for a little bit (it then started working again),. When I got back to father-in-laws, it wouldn't shift to neutral, parking brake wouldn't set, shut off and alarm going off because brake not set. Had to cycle key several times trying the parking brake before I could get it to work. Parked it in his garage for the night and had to have my son come pick me up to take me home.
    I took off a half day vacation (afternoon) and had my brother take me back to bike, put the key in and everything was working fine. Cycled and still no problems. Took it back to Can am dealer and had them look at it. Told the service manager what had happened, he looked at me like I was stupid until I showed him video I had taken of the display when it was acting up. He then said he had never seen anything like that. They put it in shop and mechanic got it to do it again. He has told me it hasn't quit messing up since it's been there.
    Was told that they have checked all wiring and everything that the shop manual says to check and everything points to the VCM module ($1133.99). The mechanic told me he has emailed one of the engineers with Can am and he was waiting to here back from him before ordering the module.
    So I contact the mechanic on Monday 7-20-15 and he tells me that the engineer agrees with him and that they will order the module first thing Tuesday morning. And it would take about 3 days to get the part. Yesterday I went to check on it and talk to the mechanic and he now tells me the engineer had gotten back with him and now they think it is in the wiring, which was all supposed to have already been checked. But it should be done by next Tuesday 7-28-15. That they have his schedule cleared to work on my bike. I am trying not to blow up about this, but I am pretty sure my bike is only getting worked on as they have time (I didn't buy it there as they were about $5000 higher than I paid for it).
    I had told them that I am going to Sturgis (reservations already made) and have been assured I will still be able to go. They plan is we are leaving on Friday 7-31-15. I told them I don't want to get my bike back on Thursday and not have time to shake it down before leaving on a 1200 mile trip, to which I was told it will be ok.
    I get the feeling I'm being screwed on this, what should I do?
    Thanks, sorry for the long rant.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have another dealer you can go to??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why didn't you go to the dealer you bought it from.? I would think you would trust them more..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Why didn't you go to the dealer you bought it from.? I would think you would trust them more..
    That isn't always the case. There are dealers who low-ball prices but have little, if any, worthwhile after-sale support. Where I bought mine was such a dealer and I'll never go back. I drive over twice as far, now, but to a dealer I can trust.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    That isn't always the case. There are dealers who low-ball prices but have little, if any, worthwhile after-sale support. Where I bought mine was such a dealer and I'll never go back. I drive over twice as far, now, but to a dealer I can trust.
    I guess I am lucky then.. My dealer has the lowest purchase prices in the State and the best service with free loaner use during any service or repair including even when it takes overnight or longer.... and that is even for folks who did not buy from him...

Spyder Garage

I found a great deal in South Dakota, I'm in Indiana. That is why I don't go to the dealer I purchased from.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Do you have another dealer you can go to??
    The next closest dealer to me is 2 hours away. Will probably be where I go next time. The problem now is, they have my bike and have it all apart.

Thanks all for your input.

Spyder Garage

I guess I am lucky then.. My dealer has the lowest purchase prices in the State and the best service with free loaner use during any service or repair including even when it takes overnight or longer.... and that is even for folks who did not buy from him...
    Hi Doc, I am looking for a good dealer...I am in The Villages....who are you using in your area. Thanks, Bill

Spyder Garage

Another dealer nightmare from heck. It sounds to me like a combination of dealer not caring, dealer not one to do technical, mechanical stuff, and giving you crap because you did not buy from them.

Delivering the bike to you in running mode, indicates they probably knew exactly what was going on. They got through the glitches enough to pass it back to you. Also surprised there was no paperwork to sign. A couple red flags that jump out at me for sure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It really sounds like you would be best served by a second opinion.

Fortunately, my dealer is great, and the "Great and powerful Shawn" heads up the Can Am Service dept.

-Fratz

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kleck View Post
    Hi Doc, I am looking for a good dealer...I am in The Villages....who are you using in your area. Thanks, Bill
    I know Doc uses Central Florida Power Sports in Kissimmee, just as I do. One of the best dealers around.

Spyder Garage

Still don't have my bike back yet.
    Checked on it last Friday evening and was told that they have Tuesday cleared on the mechanics schedule to work on my bike (what's wrong with Saturday?). And that the engineer had gotten back with him and they don't think t's the module, but in the wiring (which was already supposed to have been checked). Got word on Tuesday that they now think it's the cluster that is bad. They took one off of a 2012 bike that they have in their showroom and it didn't work. So then they took one off of a 2013 that a customer had brought in and said that it fixed the issue. This is wrong, period to remove parts from someone else's bike. A new cluster was going to be ordered Tuesday7-28-15 and be overnighted and my bike would be done by Wednesday evening.
    So I went after work (about 5:15pm) last night to hopefully get my bike back, and walk into the shop and it is still in pieces. Talked to the mechanic and he told me that the part had not come in yet. That their parts come into a hub in Indy and then they have a guy that delivers the parts to their shops. Which he hasn't made it yet. So, no repairs yet.
    But I was (AGAIN) told that it would be fixed around 11:00 this morning...getting close to that now and no word yet.
    I will post more as this fiasco unfolds.

Spyder Garage

Late June - July is a Terrible time for a problem because they are probably selling and prepping lots of kinds of toys and unfortunately yours is fit in when they can find the time and the parts.
    My first Spyder went in Just before the 4th of July in 2010 and It took 42 Days to get it back even though I checked every couple days? I had just about completed a Lemon Law case when it was finally fixed.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You sure are having a rough time, I hope that they actually get it fixed for you today. I don't think it is uncommon for dealers to take parts off of one bike to see if it works on another. But it may be less common for them to take parts off of a customer's bike.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You sure are having a rough time, I hope that they actually get it fixed for you today. I don't think it is uncommon for dealers to take parts off of one bike to see if it works on another. But it may be less common for them to take parts off of a customer's bike.

Big time red flag for me. Take part of customers bike, and if used, then give them a run around why theirs is not working (needs part, could not get to it, etc.). If the above scenario is true, they should be reported to BRP pronto.

Sounds like a Ponzi scheme going wrong.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Finally got bike back yesterday, left there about 3:00pm. Not much time to shake it down before leaving for Sturgis this morning. Ride safe all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Duece2 View Post
    Finally got bike back yesterday, left there about 3:00pm. Not much time to shake it down before leaving for Sturgis this morning. Ride safe all.
    Glad you got it back. Be safe, but have fun. Remember the pictures we all like to see.