Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Preachy View Post
    2015 RT-S. More than sure; I'm certain!!!! BUT after reading the manual more closely, I see that I misinterpreted how the manual is written. (Also, my girlfriend is positive that the salesman said to bring it in for service after 600 miles). The manual indicates how to actually operate the vehicle for the 1st 600 miles, but that the first service should be performed at 3,000 miles.

Sorry to drag this out as I did. You've all been very helpful! Thanks again.
    We have been running into a lot of dealers that do not know the proper service intervals for the 1330 triple engines. It kind of cuts down on your confidence level for when you have the serviced.

When the Alaska travelers were here last week, the phone app directed them to the "wrong" dealer. They had battery issues with one of the machines. The mechanic came out and started talking about how difficult it was to remove the battery for under the seat--WRONG--the battery on the machine in question is in the frunk. Did not take them long to run, run, run, from that dealer. We got them fixed up with the "right" one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Try a Harley at @ $500.00!

AJ
    Greetings all. First post here by new RT-S owner. Had our toy for about a month now and it's time for the break-in service. I'm told that the service is around $300. After dropping nearly $26K, this seems a bit excessive. There is only one authorized service facility in our area. Does this seem high, or is it normal and should I just suck it up and quit whining?

Thanks in advance!!!

Rick

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

You were told wrong!

Read your Manual

AJ
    Thanks for the welcome, Chup! 2015 RT-S. I was told that the first service should be at 600 miles, which we just passed.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But are you just happy; or are you boasting???
    A little bit of each

Pam

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    and on your new . The is an expensive toy to work on as you are finding out.

A typical oil change/filter/check over service is usually around $300 - $350. Dealer shop time varies, but most of us find it to be about $110 per hour.

The 3000 mile check up is very critical, so I recommend having that done by the dealer.

Upside: You must have the 1330 ACE engine triple model (3000 mile break in service), Your next service is scheduled at 12,300 miles (9,300 miles later). If you do not drive 9,300 or more a season, you should have oil change/filter service done at least once a season.

The 1330's also do NOT need the expensive valve check service that the previous 990's did. $800 additional to whatever you are having done. You should be good to go for about a season.

The new RT's have been pretty much trouble free. I am going on 18K miles in a little over a year. Coming up on oil change #3. Have replaced one rear tire, and dealer had to fix a saddlebag cable. Vrooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I agree. Our 2014 RT-S will be 1 year old on the 18th of July and we have 21,549 trouble free miles!!!! Have replaced the rear tire once and almost ready again. Still on factory front tires. We have had service done according to owners manual, and have had no problems!! LOVE OUR SPYDER!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    A little bit of each

Pam
    Honest... and more than fair!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Going to get mine next week. I negotiated a FREE 3,000 mile service when I bought my Spyder, so my cost is $0

Pam
    Your just too damn smart Pam. Why didn't I think of that. New buyers pay attention!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ROB K View Post
    Rick

Dutchess Rec is only 10 minutes from my house.I payed $340 only because I did not buy from them. If I had they said it would be around $260. Bob always says think about where you service when you buy it could be a big factor. Artic adventures price was about$75 dollars cheaper than Dutchess Rec. but it's your choice. Either way I just wanna ride and the cost is second thought. Life is to short to second guess everything. Enjoy your ride.
    Any dealer tell me that and I'd be dragging that baby to another dealer no matter what it cost. He'd never see a dime of my money.

Spyder Garage

Mine was just about $160 at Klinger's...
    I just paid $185 at Klinger's. $65/hr., a $25 charge for the "BUD'S" hook up. Had 2 updates installed. The guy's were great. My original 3000 mile service was $225 at Rusty Palmer. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But I notice that they've bumped their hourly rate a bit...
    ($65, versus $50 per hour...)
    I'll be sure to bust their chops over it, when mine goes in for some fresh oil and a filter.
    They're a real nice bunch of folks!
    Did you get a chance to talk with Aaron at all?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default yes

Mine was just about $160 at Klinger's...
    I agree with Bob Klingers is the best, Good service and they are fair and know what they are doing. My other dealer where I originally bought my 2011 RT I felt they where a little excessive with the billing. From where I live Walton is about the same distance from Courtland (dealer) But better service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just my .02, when i was looking to buy a one of the dealers i went to was Dutchess Rec, walked in looked around and thought they sell all, service nothing. i'm just saying.
    am
    happy with Arctic Adventure

Spyder Garage

I have a brand new 2014 RT-S and the manual clearly says 3,000 miles. When my dealer gave me the walkthrough they insisted I bring it back after 600 miles for first check up. My paranoia is that if I wait until the 3,000 mile service and something goes wrong I get a finger wag from the dealer. Question: would I be well advised to ALSO do the 600 mile service or is this not necessary?
    Thanks...
    SpyderWalter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

first service is 3000 miles, just like the manual says.
    the dealer is looking for a few extra $$$$$$$$$

you should of course check your oil

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 600 mile/3000 mile first service confuses some dealers, because the 998 bikes still require the first service at the 600 mile mark.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if you think $300 is expensive ... wait until you need a air filter change... its in the $1200.00 range... better bring your check book !!!

osm

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Jeff, the service guy at Dutchess Rec, called me yesterday to apologize for the confusion. He said he was schooled by another owner. They now have it straight and have told the salespeople as well. All is good.

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Jeff, the service guy at Dutchess Rec, called me yesterday to apologize for the confusion. He said he was schooled by another owner. They now have it straight and have told the salespeople as well. All is good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear this!
    Please let us know how good of a job they do; when servicing your Spyder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Will do, Bob. FWIW, they've been servicing my Honda VT-1100 for a number of years now. My only issue is that their prices are a bit high. but they seem to be the only game in town unless I'm willing to travel out of the area. Since service usually requires the vehicle to be dropped off and picked up later or the next day, I usually opt for convenience. Used to go to Rte 22 Cycles in Patterson, but they moved away. New place there, but I don't know anything about them.

Glad to hear this!
    Please let us know how good of a job they do; when servicing your Spyder!

Spyder Garage

But I notice that they've bumped their hourly rate a bit...
    ($65, versus $50 per hour...)
    I'll be sure to bust their chops over it, when mine goes in for some fresh oil and a filter.
    They're a real nice bunch of folks!
    Did you get a chance to talk with Aaron at all?
    Spent some time with with all the guys. Aaron and Brandon got a good laugh when I mentioned the "oil" posts on the forum. Neither one goes anywhere near the forums. Butch was working on a 99 Kaw Voyager. Said he is the only one that works on them. I always wanted one. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

They charge me 365.00 for my 600 service wow been doing my own service seens then.
    richie spyder