Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Radio interference from LED lights

I recently installed extreme lighting 2S LED lights with fans on the back of the lights. The problem I am experiencing now is that when the bike cranked and the headlights turn on I start getting interference (static) when trying to listen to the radio. I think the lights are the problem because the radio works fine when the lights are off. Has anyone experienced similar issues and what did you do it fix the problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that you could add a capacitor across the lights, but I have no idea the size, try Google.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that your lights are causing trouble...
    I don't mean to lecture about this, but it does point to a good reason for buying accessories from known vendors who provide high-quality products...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's more likely the fans than the lights causing interference. Don't know what you bought, but I would look for 12v computer fans designed for low noise.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

LED's are sensitive to the electrical output of automotive electrical systems. They need a capacitor inline to compensate and the result would be a relatively static free audio. Sometimes at idle, the LED's will flicker and as the rpm's increase, the flicker will not be noticed. However, the static will probably increase. Several grounding mechanisms are available to splice into the audio lines, but I think that the LED capacitors would be the way to go.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Default same problem

I have added leds from custom dynamics that light up brighter when I hit my brake pedal. I get radio static when I'm on the brake pedal but it goes away when I release the brake pedal.
    I need to find a way to get rid of that static when I engage the brake pedal. Riding without the brake pedal is not choice of options.
    I'll shop at a few radio stores and see what I can dig up unless someone out there in Spyder land has a fix that works.
    Thanks,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 0992 View Post
    I have added leds from custom dynamics that light up brighter when I hit my brake pedal. I get radio static when I'm on the brake pedal but it goes away when I release the brake pedal.
    I need to find a way to get rid of that static when I engage the brake pedal. Riding without the brake pedal is not choice of options.
    I'll shop at a few radio stores and see what I can dig up unless someone out there in Spyder land has a fix that works.
    Thanks,
    I've got TricLED's 3rd tail light bar and have the exact same issue. I finally took the back fender off this past weekend to troubleshoot a solution. What's happening is the wiring from the light bar is parallel to the antenna cable from where the antenna is attached to the outer body all the way down to where Tric's OEM harness plugs into the right taillight. It's the proximity between the antenna cable and the LED wiring that is the issue.

Ideally, I should have moved the entire Tric cable to the left taillight but since I don't know if there is enough slack to follow a different path to the other side, I just moved the Tric cable as far away from the antenna cable as I could and secured it. I've eliminated about 90% of the static when I'm on the brake.

Is there some shielding material perhaps that could eliminate the remaining 10%?