The other day after I changed out the handlebar for the Tri-Axis one I took a short spin around the neighborhood. I turned a few tight circles in a couple of cul-de-sacs. I started to experience some really jerky steering in slow turns. When I got back home three codes came up, all VSS related. Turning the key off and on cleared the codes. Yesterday I went to a lunch meeting and saw Travis, the local (local = 45 miles!) dealer's Spyder tech. He's been off on paternity leave. We talked about the DPS problem. The most likely problem, other than the DPS actually crapping out, was the torque sensor setting. It turns out the torque sensor can get knocked wacky if the bike wheels are turned while power is disconnected and are in a different orientation when the power is reconnected.

The dealer was only a few blocks away and he said the service manager could do a BUDS check. Joe found the previous codes, and a code that came up when I ran the bike on the lift to check belt tracking after changing the tire. He cleared them, reset the torque sensor, I rode around the parking lot. Still acting up, and no codes. He rode it around and then checked BUDS. No codes again. So he said let's replace the DPS module, which won't happen until later in the week since they have to order the part. He'll get Travis to come in off paternity leave to do the replacement.

It feels like the DPS turns off and on. When I was coming off on a freeway exit the steering was hard for a bit, then released when DPS kicked in, then hard, then easy. The on/off operation sure caused me to repeatedly under steer, then over steer. Not a cool feeling!

Anyone else ever experience this?