Note: This was written in Montana while on a 7000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies; I returned two days ago. I was unable to post it while on the road and will do so now. The contents is relevant even though I am home after a spectacular trip.

This is a story about two Jerry's. Jerry 1 works at the Kalispell, MT dealer. Jerry 2 is the Parts Manager at Addictive Powersports in Great Falls, MT. I came in contact with both Jerry's while trying to get a new rear tire on my 2014 Spyder. But I get ahead of myself.

My dealer warned me about getting a tire replaced. When I left NJ I had about 2500 miles on the original tire and I was undertaking a 6000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies. The tire would be worn down to the bars between 4000 and 5000 miles. Thus, Kalispell seemed a likely place to replace it.

Two days out (at Havre, MT) I called the Kalispell dealer and asked to speak to the Service Manager. I was told he was out but that I could speak to Jerry 1. He was not encouraging. I told him I was on a 6000 mile trip and that the tire was down to the bars. He said that all his mechanics were busy the day I wanted to bring it in. He also wasn't precisely sure he had a tire in stock. I mentioned that, unlike other bikes, I couldn't walk in just anywhere and get a tire installed. I noted that he was the only dealer in Kalispell so I was forced to take it there. He was unmoved though he did say he would check on whether he had a tire in stock and would call me back.

After I hung up I remembered that I had had almost the exact conversation with Jerry1 three years before while on a similar trip. Then I owned a 2008 Spyder GS and I was concerned about its clutch. When I called the dealer in 2012 I was told the Service Manager was not there but that I could speak to Jerry 1. No, he couldn't even look at the bike. No, all of his men were busy. He would call me back; he never did.

I was really stuck. The tire had to be changed. I was going into Canada and was unsure if there were dealers available. I had planned a year for this trip and it appeared that I would have to abandon my plans and head east to find a more helpful dealer.

Enter Jerry 2!

I noted from the Rattigan-Roger app that there was a dealer in Great Falls, MT. If I left the group I was with -- Country Roads Group Riding -- and dashed down to Great Falls, get the tire installed and then re-join the group in Kalispell, things would be fine. So, I called Addictive Powersports and spoke with Jerry 2, the Parts Manager.

Yes, they had a tire and, yes, the could work me in in the next morning promptly at 8:00 AM. They understood I was on the road and Jerry 2 said "they would do everything they could to get me back on the road."

I was there at 8:00, everyone there was genuinely concerned about the bike and the tour. The tire was mounted, put on the bike which was laser aligned and balanced. It took a bit over two hours.

What a difference! Jerry 1 could not have cared less about my problem. Jerry 1 had no other suggestions. Jerry 1 repeated the same script he used on me two years previously.

Jerry 2 cared about me and my Spyder. He understood that someone on the road can have really pressing problems and that they need immediate attention.

Here is the point: the dealer at Kalispell does not seemed concerned or helpful for those of us on the road. Addictive Powersports does and that makes all the difference.

A Note To BRP: If you are going to continue to advertise the Spyder as an "adventure" on the road then you should convince your dealers that it is good business to help us when we are in the adventure you want us to take.