This is not a real exciting topic. But it is something I've been "messing" with the last week or so.
I noticed that I was getting a lot of road noise at freeway speed. Maybe I noticed it because I'm getting older--maybe not. Anyway I looked up on the internet and found that wind noise at 65 MPH could exceed 125 decibels. That is loud...really loud. So I got some ear plugs. Foam ear plugs. It reduced the noise a lot. So I decided that I would get some molded ear plugs that fit just fine.

The last time I was at Las Vegas Bikefest there was a vendor selling custom earplugs for $67. So I called a few audiologists in my area. I live about 80 miles East of Los Angeles. The audiologists charge between $95 and $145. I went over to the local Honda motorsports shop and he had some do-it-yourself kits for $30. I then checked Amazon.com and found a do-it-yourself kit for $19. I bought the $19 version.

It came. I read the instructions two or three times and followed them exactly. As expected the earplugs came out just fine. No problem

So today...me, the earplugs and my RT up on the super slab. 77 MPH. Much quieter. Much nicer. I also noticed a couple of other things that seem to have changed by wearing the earplugs: 1) I no longer have a tendency to shift at too low an RPM. My shifting is naturally well within the power band. This is good. 2) The wind-head-buffeting from trucks and cross winds doesn't bother me as much. I understand #1, but not #2.

Any ideas why #2....why did the wind buffeting seem less?