ATTENTION WASHINGTON STATE SPYDER RYDERS!

Join in the fun of exploring a TRUE Ghost Town in Western Washington. Be a part of the next Spyder Event when we visit the long-abandoned town of Franklin, WA.

WHEN: Saturday, July 9th

MEET AT: CLEMS ENUMCLAW POWERSPORTS
408 Roosevelt Avenue
Enumclaw WA 98022

MEETING TIME: 9:00 AM - 9:30 AM

Complimentary Coffee and Doughnuts provided at Clems. We'll ride as a group to Franklin, where there is a short hike over mild terrain to the once prosperous coal mining town. You'll be able to explore the 1300' sealed mine shaft, old foundations, mining tracks, and graveyard nestled along the forest trails. After a couple of hours exploring, we will gather again and ride as a group back to Wally's Drive-In in Buckley, WA for an excellent made-to-order meal.

I NEED A COUNT OF HOW MANY WILL BE ATTENDING BY NOON PST ON SATURDAY, JUNE 11. PLEASE POST A REPLY, SEND ME A PM, OR SEND ME AN E-MAIL (jomion@gmail.com) TO LET ME KNOW IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING. YOUR SUPPORT WILL ENSURE THAT WE ARE PREPARED AND MAKE THIS AN ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE!

FROM WIKIPEDIA:
"The community was established in the 1880s, with a post office established by 1886. In May 1891, labor recruiters brought African-Americans to Franklin from Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee with offers of good paying jobs and free transportation. The white miners who were on strike took exception to the African-American strikebreakers and tensions grew for a month and a half. In early July, a riot broke out resulting in the deaths of two people and the Governor called out the National Guard to restore order.
In 1885 the Seattle and Walla Walla Railroad was extended from Black Diamond to the town, allowing most of the coal to be shipped to San Francisco. On August 24, 1894, the worst mine disaster in King County history occurred at the Oregon Improvement Company mine in Franklin. A fire caused thirty-seven miners to suffocate in the mine. A jury later found that the fire had been intentionally set, but the person responsible had also perished in the disaster.
By the early Twentieth Century, demand fell and mining became more difficult, causing the mine to shut down. The post office closed in 1916."

SOME PHOTOS: