Threaded View

RT-S PE#0391
    Spyder Garage

Default ESI HMT Brake Light and 'Pulse-On' Effect

I am looking at purchasing the ESI Cycle Products HMT Brake Light for my ’10 Spyder RT-S. What is missing is a way to cause the HMT Brake Light to pulse on ‘X’ number of times then hold, as is the case when installing ESI's Wake-up module. I only wanted the effect on the HMT Brake Light; not the main brake lights on my RT.

However, Evan at ESI tells me that ESI's wake up module is not even designed for use on the RT; only the RS (I asked because the installation instructions on the ESI site are only written for the RS).

Meanwhile, I found a BRAKE LIGHT FLASHER LAMP MODULE from KapscoMoto (as seen by clicking link). The unit is built to handle input/output between 6 and 24 volts. Note the video at the bottom of the web page where it shows the function of the unit installed on a car. Cool aye? This is the effect I wanted for my RT with the HMT unit. I asked ESI (Evan) about this solution and about which color lead running into the HMT Brake Light I should join this unit.

Evan/ESI's response: "We can't comment on this other company's product being compatible with the HMT or the Spyder's Can Bus system. So we do not recommend using it in this untested manner with our HMT product. You may find if you are willing to risk your own time doing the R&D it may work just fine. However, you may also find it will cause problems with the Spyder CAN Bus system and other costly failures."

I internalized that 'grr' frustration one gets when seeking a simple solution just leads to dead ends. As to Evan's statement, all I can say is that the KapscoMoto unit appears completely passive. Reviewers are saying they're using it on scooters, motorcycles and cars. It's tiny, and appears to simply be a passive in-line system that would hook in between the input from the brake pedal/switch, and the HMT brake light. As to potental "problems or other costly failures" involving ththe CAN (Controller Area Network) Bus system, I had to raise an eyebrow insofar as how all the other ESI components (I have the brightsides, mudflap lights and fendertips, all integrated into my turn signals) are perfectly fine with the Spyder's CAN Bus. Then too, ESI markets a wake-up module for the RS that basically does the same thing, and the RS's CAN BUS seems fine with that. Therefore, I am reaching out to LaMonster and other Spyder RT bretheren to see if they've ever ventured into this issue and arrived at a solution.

I am not sour grapes with ESI or Evan, but ... *drat!* The HMT brake light (at $239.00) is a perfect application for the RT and, as many say, should have been designed into the Spyder RT in the first place. However, I've seen the pulse effect applied to top tail and top case lights on other machines and it so enhances the attention-getting factor when applying the brakes.

Experienced thoughts and comments welcome!
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 04-18-2011 at 06:59 AM.