Yesterday, on the way to Bert’s Canyon Cruise, I noticed I had an Oil leak. When I got to Bert’s, I checked out my Spyder. It looked like the Oil leak was coming mainly from my rear Valve cover. While I was there, I purchased a set of valve cover gaskets. I was thinking I would spend today fixing the leak or leaks.

This morning I got up took all the plastics off, then drove up to the local car wash to degrease the bike. There was oil over everything, and I really hate to work on a dirty engine. I degreased the engine and rode my Spyder home. Sure enough, I was able to tell I had an oil leak at the back of the rear valve cover. As I started taking the valve covers off, I was able to determine why I have a leak. The rear “distance Screw” (valve cover screw/bolt) was just slightly tighter than finger tight. The front screw snapped, as soon as I went started removing it. Its obvious the last time I had a 12,000 miles service the tech did not pay attention to the amount of torque he was putting one these.

Now here I am, with a Spyder I can’t put back together because of a busted screw. I’m very aggravated because I have to get a new distance screw. Instead of just buying one, I need to buy 10. Ten is a full set for both the front and rear valve covers. If you have one bad part, you might as well replace all of them. That’s my just incase scenario. Since I am aggravated, I put my tools away, and walked away from the project for today. This will give me time to calm down, and figure out how I will get the busted screw out. With a minimal amount of clearance, this will be a difficult task. It is best not to try when you are aggravated. Especially since it will be 2 – 3 days before I get the replacement screws. I might as well do a 12,000 mile service, since I got the bike all tore apart, and save myself $800.00

If anyone needs to order these, here is the information

Part Number: 420241625
Description: Distance Screw
Quantity: 10

Part Number: 420650345
Description: Valve Cover Gasket
Quantity: 2