Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Need to replace Coolant & Flush on 2009 GS & have some questions?

Hey All

I've been reading through older threads and can't find an answer so I'm posting here.

Couple of Questions.

1. How to flush a radiator? And yes I'm draining via the hose. I have not and will not try to drain by the bolt on radiator.
    It was suggested to use distilled water & run the bike till the fan starts.

A. Will distilled water clean all the hoses and the radiator? or

B. is there a flush cleaner I should use

2. What coolant is suggested for the 2009 GS? Hot weather. I'm in FL

Originally green was added by a dealer. I drained that green today and had XPS orange - BUT this is why I'm here. I did not flush it and realized that green was probably still in the hoses when I poured the new orange in there today. I only started it twice for about 3 mins each time - fan never went on so I'm guessing it really did not get hot enough. Only went to 2 bars, then decided not to drive it when I realized it probably needed to be cleaned out. It hasn't been drained in about 3 yrs - it's my daily ride with low miles.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Edit to add: Can I use Water Wetter in this model?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-11-2024 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    2009 GS SE5: Stage 2 Elka front shocks, BajaRon sway bar, K&N air filter, kuryakyn foot pegs, TricLED rear and front lights.