Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Shock Absorber Technical Questions - is Damping the same as Rebound? & more!

I'm putting together a cheat sheet on suspension adjustments and would like to start a thread to ask questions I can't seem to find easy answers for. I did a forum search for 'damping' and was greeted with nothing, but maybe one thread that was irrelevant to my inquiry.

In comparing front shocks (in this case Elka Stage 2 vs. M2) I find an adjustment at the end of the shock opposite the spring.

Elka calls the screw like adjustment is called "Rebound".

M2 calls the knob like adjustment "Damping".

Both companies also don't explain what the adjustments are for clearly - with verbiage such as "turn left to stiffen" or "Turn Clockwise to Increase". I understand that adjustability is a +/- thing, what is not explained is what do they do in regard to the operating characteristics of the shock AND how they impact the Spyder's feel on the road.

So, are they the same thing? I don't want to assume this just because of where the adjustment is located. Knowing what the adjustment does and how a manufacturer makes that adjustment makes it easier to do 'apples to apples' comparisons.
    Last edited by broderp; 01-11-2024 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue