Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Question 2012 RT - NOCO Genius 2D maintainer - confused, conflicting advice - Help/advice?

BTW - I've tried doing my own due diligence on this re Can Am owner manual; NOCO 2D manual (conflicting advice re set up to poles or to ground); YT videos; and related threads in forums in this community. 2012 RT manual refers to battery poles access under the seat, but I cannot attach the eyelets that come w direct mount Genius2D bc of the known "don't mess w the negative pole under the seat bc of the hidden backing nut" nightmare problem.

I am a rookie to all this for sure. I realize advice from all kinds of sources can vary from truly expert to "just trying to be helpful" opinions from experienced riders sharing what they've done or heard. That seems to be the source of some of the contradictions, I'm guessing.

Not wanting to remove panels to connect directly to the battery...but maybe I have to?? Conflicting advice in answers in this community's forums and on YT videos re attaching directly to both battery poles vs using a ground screw on the frame somewhere. That would let me attach the 2D maintainer to the (+) pole or extender nut maybe (seems hard to get at both) and then finding an acceptable screw to attach to elsewhere. Eyelets/cables seem to allow a bit over 2' gap between connections.

If there were any simple ways I should be doing this that don't require panel removal, I'd prefer to use them - I know it's a "direct mount" model but there's nowhere to put it under the seat it seems. With only having to use it during winter storage months it seems a small hassle to just not use it as a "direct mount" and simply connect and disconnect it for the temporary use during winter storage. Or should I get pigtails and mount them to the battery and somehow pass wires into the back storage compartment to mount the Genius2D there?

Most videos I've seen on YT are of frunk battery attachments (after 2012) and they most often show people attaching directly to both poles, which the Genius says not to do, but the Spyder manual says is ok (for standard charging, while not specifying how that direction changes for the referenced "trickle" charging mentioned on pg 139).

I've spent hours looking for YT videos and reading on this. Plenty of differing answers. Hard to find things on the 2012 specifically. Looking for a bit more wisdom from 2012'ers out there on this before I start a project that becomes a pandora's box, esp if there's some simple answer that I'm missing. Maybe get adapter cables that will take the eyelets on Genius2D Maintainer and change them to alligator clips for easy connecting... but then still the issue of using that under seat (-) terminal or not?

Appreciate some guidance...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-02-2024 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)