Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust Perfection?! another $20 exhaust system. No aftermarket muffler needed

So, if you looked at my last post "WOW!...", you saw my first attempt at an exhaust modification for my 2015 Spyder RS SM5. I removed the stock muffler and installed 2 off-the-shelf exhaust parts. Although the sound is awsome, I was a little worried about some loss of power at more aggressive throttle positions (i.e. WOT) as the opening is only about 1" dia. So, I kept tinkering with it.
    My new mod uses a smaller Walker flange adapter (part number 41724, 2") and an elbow (amazon: Gorniloxam OD 2 inch 90 degree exhaust elbow Pipe - Mandrel Bend Elbow). I removed the graphite exhaust gasket and attached the flange adapter directly to the cat converter flange. I was worried when I received the elbow because it is a casting and may or may not be 304SS as stated in the description. Feels like chrome-plated aluminum-steel alloy. But the 2" OD elbow held up to grinding a chamfer at one end and pounding it into the flange adapter's 2" ID opening. I pounded on it pretty good and it held up. No screws necessary for this connection. Discharge opening is now 1-7/8" ID. Sound is still great. No exhaust popping. This is a winner! Post below if you make the mod yourself. See pix below:
    Attached Images Attached Images