Quote Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
I have been off of the road here for three weeks due to the sprocket failing as it is my only form of transportation due to MS. The dealer went all out to get me one here in Aussie, it was fitted Tuesday 20 Dec 2022, now I am out and about again.

The first Picture is after the sprocket started making noises like it was loose, just before it failed,
The first and last Picture show the spline is totally gone on the outside of the sprocket.
Note the middle picture, it shows what's left of the spline. If you notice the burrs, they were actually holding the shaft on the inside of the sprocket, so with bearing pullers by two (broke one); heat; cursing; and swearing, there was a loud bang, and the sprocket came off.
Another point to note is the piece of metal that was broken off while getting the sprocket off.

So, what was meant to be a one-hour job took four hours in total, just to remove the sprocket and put the new one back on.

Hope this is of interest for you all. My thought now is that if there is a recall, don't ride it, just be patient, and wait 'til they have the part to fix it.

Have a great Christmas
Lattrape
Here's my assessment of the final fix. Look at photo 3. See those little tips of the splines? If the sprocket is turned on the shaft those tips are going to restrict the sprocket from being pulled off, just as Lattrape and others described. The washer on the final fix is to prevent those tips from being formed thus assuring the sprocket can be readily removed if and when the splines wear out on the final fix sprocket. The real final fix, IMO, is a combination of the new prescribed Loctite and an unknown, if any, change in the metallurgy of the sprocket. The washer is added to ensure the sprocket splines are slightly shorter than the shaft splines.