Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL-passenger and rider heated grips not turning off! Any ideas?

Will not automatically turn off when ignition key is turned to OFF. I can also toggle the switches ON when the key is removed from the ignition. Driver and passenger grips will heat up. The passenger switch will light up as well.

I noticed this issue last year when i last used the heated grips and discovered a dead battery after parking the bike in the garage for an afternoon.

Basic Testing Notes:
    1. I removed relay R4 (load shedding) and kept Fuse F5 connected:
    Result: Rider and passenger heated grip switches not active (do not turn on). Fog lamp switch not active (does not turn on). Horn works.
    2. I removed fuse F5 and reinstalled relay R4:
    Result: same as Test 1. except horn also did not work.

I've searched for several days googling as many different ways to phrase it, but nothing comes close. I've looked at the wiring diagram to see if i could stumble my way to any other common connection that these switches share, but lack the electrical expertise. Thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone has an idea.

I may be visiting a qualified technician come Spring.

Edit to add: I think both the Relay and Fuse are good based on my basic tests?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2022 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2018 RTL SE6, pearl white/dark trim