Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Crack in foot rest support on 2015 ST-L - importance of replacing?

On a trip to the Oregon coast a short while ago, stopped in Eugene for gas and rode across a parking lot with a few bumps/dips. Nothing significant. Low speed.

Crack sound was from a crack in an aluminum piece, #375 in the attached schematic from a parts store. Crack is visible as a wavery white line in the other two photos.

I thought I'd bottomed out, but saw no sign of same. Kept riding, noticed the crack that night. Kept riding since it's not the bike's frame, but a mounting piece for footrests which is attached to the frame.

Question: With the crack where it is, how important is it that I replace the aluminum piece? It hasn't moved or wobbled, neither have the foot rests attached to it. It's sort of resting on itself, the rearmost portion against the front-most, on an angle that keeps things in place.

Thoughts, Ladies and Gentlemen?

(Part availability is sketchy. One place which does say it's in stock says $350.00)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2022 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (Front).