I had this come across my Facebook news feed from a local bike repair shop near me. A lot of what this guy had to say hit home with me when thinking back to my own return after a 20 year hiatus that ran from 1980 to 2000 when I bought my first R1200C at age 45. Now that I am transitioning from two wheels to three, (two years with Spyder now) I'm reminded of the changes life throws at us and we do our best to not be a victim of the "I can't" crowd. You know the type; from my personal motto: "he who says I can't, will always be right." Of course bodies get older and weaker so there does come that time when we really can't. The biggest motivating factor for me returning to bikes after such a long time away was the death of a close friend at age 53 with a ruptured aneurysm in his brain. After grieving over that loss for a while, I made up my mind to NOT go through the rest of my life thinking or saying, "I wish I had done . . . . ." I've been out there trying my best to do all of those things that won't land me in jail or cause a great deal of negativity in my life. Just all food for thought.

From a 73 year old KLR rider: (not me)

Lessons learned as I turn age 73, one year after riding 11k, and after not having a moto for many years:
If the destination requires riding on an Interstate, I choose another destination.
Semis passing me at 85mph are no fun.
The KLR has gained weight, especially when loading/unloading from pickup truck bed. Must be that Gen 2 is heavier than my old Gen 1.
1,000 miles were required to get comfortable again, and 9,000 miles were needed until I gained completely my old skill level.
High winds of SW New Mexico require lower front fender and fork brace. Dramatic improvement.
6th gear can be found with 16 tooth front sprocket and 42 rear at speeds to 65 mph. Sweet spot is at 58mph and 3800 rpms.
More scenery appears at 55mph than at 80 mph.
The closer I get to death from old age, the more cautious I become. All the gear, all the time.
No more riding alone off-road with no cell signal.
Riding open-range road (cattle present without fencing), watch the calves as they will run across the road to be with mama cow.
So much excellent instruction on YouTube that wasn't available when I started riding 48 years ago.
An empty parking lot is wonderful for practicing low speed maneuvers. Never tried that before starting over again.
With a 32 inch inseam, a Sargeant lowered seat was the best mod I made.
Wind blew bike over in Colorado. Cost of Dirtracks full engine guard bars justified as had no damage.
Cataract removal on both eyes made a tremendous difference for the better.
150 miles in one day is much more enjoyable than 300 miles.
There is an endless supply of mods and farkles to be had, and what the hell I can't take my money with me when it's time to make the last ride.
Contrary to what Robert Earl Keen sang, the road does not go on forever, so I'll ride like I'm still young and encourage you to do the same.