Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
every 2500 miles, full synthetic and filter. Cheap insurance
I have used the 2,500 mark for oil changes for many years. (Since the early 1970's.) I continue to do so now on all my vehicles (2 Gold Wings, 1 Valkyrie, 1 Spyder RTS, a Ford Explorer, and even my Ford F-450 with a 7.3 Diesel.

I find that spotting the 2500 mark on the odometer is easier than trying to remember which 3000 mark is coming up next. I started that back when 3000 was considered the 'gold standard'.

As @SpyderCruiser pointed out: "...my Grandfather once told me that oil was cheaper then engines, so don't cheap out on the oil changes."

On the Spyder 9300 miles just seems like far to long especially if you are an old dinosaur like myself. I ride quite a bit so I usually end up changing the oil every 2 - 3 months on my bikes which also means I end up checking out the underside fairly often.

Interestingly I also never have to really sweat oil change times on the Can Am if I am on a trip. I figure if the BRP blended oil is good for 9300 miles I can run over the 2500 miles by quite a bit if I am on a trip and it isn't convenient to change oil along the way.

On my bikes I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 20/50 V-Twin. Costs a little bit more than blended oil but so much less than an engine replacement or overhaul. I can honestly say that in close to a million miles on various vehicles I have never had an oil related problem and I ride hard.

Having said that if you choose to use the BRP oil, or an
equivalent/better oil and wish to run it 9,300 miles I don't think you will have any problems. One concern I have with the extended oil change intervals recommended by manufacturers these days is the thought that all they really have to be sure of is the engine staying together for the length of the warranty period. On the other hand I never sell or trade in a vehicle. I accumulate miles and by the time I am finished with a vehicle there ain't a whole lot left to trade in. LOL.

Max