Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up New GROM WirelinQ radio interface product works!

<<Grom Audio is coming out with a smart interface cable that will enable iPod-like control for your Android device. It's available now for pre-order for shipment in the next month or so.
    I ordered the USB-C version for my HTC-10 phone, and I am hopeful that it will work on my RTL.>>

Here's the link: http://gromaudio.com/wirelinq/

Here's the latest:
    I got loud, clear music through my Spyder speakers tonight using the WirelinQ adapter and my HTC 10 Android 7.0 phone!

I started to make a video, but as soon as I hit "record" the sound disappeared. I'll have to borrow another phone.

It turns out that the DashLinQ app launcher needs to be up and running before you turn on the Spyder. This initializes the WWirelinQ and starts the Apple emulation, preventing the Spyder from ever seeing the phone as an Android. The Spyder head unit can't cope with a hot switch from Android to iOS, and if it gets an initial flash as an Android it freaks out when it transmogrifies into an Apple.

If you want you can mute the speakers and use Bluetooth to connect to your headset instead.

There are some quirks that can be annoying. This is also true of the GROM-USB3 adapter that I installed in my Honda Ridgeline.
    • Through DashLinQ you get album cover artwork, handlebar controls (track select (l-r), and volume control).
    • With DashLinQ running in the background, you can stream from other Android apps, like DoggCatcher, but you must not kill the DashLinQ app or the cable stops emulating iOS.
    • Selecting music tracks can be tricky.

One more thing: the phone needs to be accessible, because you have to use the screen to select stuff. The DashLinQ app is designed for driving, with huge buttons to jab at, but you can't avoid using them. Putting the phone in the trunk will work if you want to stream or have set up a playlist and get it going before you hit the road, but you're going to have to stop to change it.
    This why I want to extend the USB port from the trunk to the dash. With the phone mounted on the dash, and running DashLinQ, I can use the WirelinQ for audio, and keep an eye on the traffic with Waze or another nav program.

One question: How can I use my Sena 10-S as a mic for my phone for voice commands?
    Last edited by Stumpy6Guns; 05-24-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: To update OP with news