Threaded View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New Gas Door

Like a few of you that hate to have your passenger get off the bike or take all of your junk off the seat so you can get gas, I decided to put in the gas door. BlueKnight911 has done it and is offering to help people do it at Spyderfest, but I didn't want to wait. I got a 6" Dodge keyed door off ebay and the slant cap that you can stick the nozzle right in. The slant is a piece of crap and didn't fit right. Talked to Mike and he made his work, but I couldn't. I will look for the Perma one, when I go to Spyderfest. They are illegal here for some reason.

I mis measured and I should/could have been a 1/2" closer to the front. Mike says not to use a drill for the bolts to go thru so I used a Dremel tool and then a drill. I have the Ultimate seat and it is well built and has a bunch of foam on the side, so you need 3" bolts to replace what comes with it. Of course 2 of them are M4 and Lowes didn't have any, so I got 6/32"x3 and epoxied them in. The other two are actually screws which I replace with #10 bolts. As you can see by the pixs, I wanted it as neat as I could on the inside too. I found that when I cut the hole (a hole saw worked great) To use the regular cap, I could use it bigger. That part of the deat "frame" is 3/4" thick on one side maybe 1/2" on the other. I uses the Dremel to cut more plastic out tapering it to the inside. Then a sanding drum on a drill to smooth it out. I have big hands and its not a problem to use the regular cap. It would be better if I had it 1/2" closer to the front. You are pretty much at the bottom of the seat at that point.

I then used 3M weather stripping glue to glue the vinyl inside the hole. I'm waiting for that to dry and I have some black vinyl that I will line the inside of the hole to cover where the seat vinyl didn't cover. Feel free to ask questions. I took my time but its not difficult with a minimum of tools.

Attached Images Attached Images