Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Dual lower header completed... Performance UPDATE

Check last post for performance update!

I finally got it on the SM5 Spyder. I still have to make the upper heat shield for a little dress-up on each side. The way I have them mounted the top rear of the tip is exactly 17 inches above the flat surface. I used 2007 GL1800 mufflers and the rectangle shaped tips. I'm going to make a set of cone end tips and see how they look. The lower header is constructed of T-304 Schedule 40 which as we all know is way to thick and heavy. I weighted the factory unit and this one at 9 lbs is double the weight. Since construction of this header I have found a supplier that has T304 stainless mandrel bends in 16 ga stainless. This will make the weight about the same as the factory unit. Also the threaded 18 mm connector for the O2 sensor is a bear to find in stainless unless you have a desire to pay 20 bucks each for them. It seems the auto industry has some control over the suppliers and who can buy them.

Pictures are on this link... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...hp?albumid=561

YouTube URL for sound
    and walk around....

The sound is very good, but I'm half deaf so you would have to hear it for yourself to make a determination on that. Just found out I need to put the sound clip on you tube. I'll get it uploaded there in a bit and put the link on this post.

I am getting ready to order the 16 ga for my second dual for the SE5 my SO rides. I'm looking for a pair of round mufflers with chrome all the way around for this unit. If my remember is working correctly today... I think the GL1500s were round and chrome all the way around.
    //Ken
    Last edited by krb1945; 10-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Yea... got it done, eh? Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    I finally got it on the SM5 Spyder. I still have to make the upper heat shield for a little dress-up on each side. The way I have them mounted the top rear of the tip is exactly 17 inches above the flat surface. I used 2007 GL1800 mufflers and the rectangle shaped tips. I'm going to make a set of cone end tips and see how they look. The lower header is constructed of T-304 Schedule 40 which as we all know is way to thick and heavy. I weighted the factory unit and this one at 9 lbs is double the weight. Since construction of this header I have found a supplier that has T304 stainless mandrel bends in 16 ga stainless. This will make the weight about the same as the factory unit. Also the threaded 18 mm connector for the O2 sensor is a bear to find in stainless unless you have a desire to pay 20 bucks each for them. It seems the auto industry has some control over the suppliers and who can buy them.

Pictures are on this link... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...hp?albumid=561

The sound is very good, but I'm half deaf so you would have to hear it for yourself to make a determination on that. I'm trying to attach a sound clip but it keeps failing. I'll get the clip loaded as soon as I can figure out what is going wrong with the upload.

I am getting ready to order the 16 ga for my second dual for the SE5 my SO rides. I'm looking for a pair of round mufflers with chrome all the way around for this unit. If my remember is working correctly today... I think the GL1500s were round and chrome all the way around.
    //Ken

Spyder Garage

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !! Still like the square ends.
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is very good work!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is nice work! A few questions:

- Do the 2007 GL1800 mufflers have catalytic converters too?
    - Was there any problems after the install, such as engine performance or error codes?
    - Will you go into the business of making these?
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No error codes or other...

problems with this twin arrangement as of this point in time. There are no catalytic converters in these mufflers that I am aware of.

I utilized a cross over pipe with the O2 sensor between the muffler pipes.

I've only ridden it twice since the install and I did not notice any degradation in performance and best of all no error codes. I would suspect these mufflers will breathe much better than stock since they are designed for an 1800 cc engine but keep enough back pressure to prevent any performance degradation.

The only issue with this particular muffler is the fact it is not chrome all the way around. You need to fabricate a polished stainless heat shield to dress up the top and inside.

I am currently using zinc galvanize for appearance until I make the shields.

Just for information the metal for this project was $187. Now as stated sch40 is much to heavy. I though about trying sch10 which I'm think is still too thick. I just found a supplier that has the 16 ga that I believe would be just right.

I can build them but right now for me to do any other than the GL muffler I'd need to get what ever style you wanted. Or I could build them with the muffler end straight back instead of angled as this set is.

I believe the turn off for most people would be the price. This set of headers with time and material cost me $827. For Example the 18 mm stainless O2 sensor fitting is $25. I finally resorted to using a standard 18mm nut which was $12. You can see the fitting in the picture just below the hanger. There must be something special about these 18mm components that makes them expensive for the individual.

I'm getting my parts list together in the next couple of days and I'm going to build one for the SOs SE5 so I can see how it will go with the 16 ga stainless. I'll keep you posted.

Spyder Garage

I believe the turn off for most people would be the price. This set of headers with time and material cost me $827. For Example the 18 mm stainless O2 sensor fitting is $25. I finally resorted to using a standard 18mm nut which was $12. You can see the fitting in the picture just below the hanger. There must be something special about these 18mm components that makes them expensive for the individual.

Ken from Evoluzione offered a dual exhaust (one pipe each side) at one time and the cost and lack of sales is what led him to discontinue offering his dual exhaust setup. A lot of folks loved the looks but hated the price.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Do you know...

what his price was? People just don't realize what a job these manifolds are to build. Me... when I ask myself for a rolls item I don't mind paying a rolls price. But with our human nature... most of us want the rolls but only want to pay a VW price and that is normal. Human nature in many cases is... "everything for me and nothing for you unless you pay dearly!"

Just to build a gigg to build these things would cost me $400 in material and time. You would make absolutely no money until you had built 10 or 12 of them and after that you would probably make about 15 percent and that isn't much of a profit with the cost of things now.

Spyder Garage

what his price was? People just don't realize what a job these manifolds are to build. Me... when I ask myself for a rolls item I don't mind paying a rolls price. But with our human nature... most of us want the rolls but only want to pay a VW price and that is normal. Human nature in many cases is... "everything for me and nothing for you unless you pay dearly!"

Just to build a gigg to build these things would cost me $400 in material and time. You would make absolutely no money until you had built 10 or 12 of them and after that you would probably make about 15 percent and that isn't much of a profit with the cost of things now.

I honestly don't remember his pricing but it was over $1000 (might have been $1500, $2000 or more ) with two exhaust cans. I forget which mufflers he was selling at the time but they were good, name brand motorcycle mufflers, pretty pricey.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I honestly don't remember his pricing but it was over $1000 (might have been $1500, $2000 or more ) with two exhaust cans. I forget which mufflers he was selling at the time but they were good, name brand motorcycle mufflers, pretty pricey.
    I believe Ken's was pushing $2,000. I know I have more than $1,200 in mine and they're not stainless.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default AtaDude didn't you...

have to get two sets of mufflers to get one good pair. Did you trash the two that were defective or are you using them as your template? //Ken

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

have to get two sets of mufflers to get one good pair. Did you trash the two that were defective or are you using them as your template? //Ken
    Naw... I've still got the not-quite-so-good-ones sitting here.

Want them? Your GW headers won't work, though. These require a "straight-in" inlet where yours, I see, have a 20 degree +/- angle as they go toward the mufflers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Awesome looking set up, can't wait to see what you do the SE5. I do have a question, could you use two Hindle's with your head set up. I always said the spyder would look much better with a dual one on each side, as for price you get what you pay for and I do not think your cost is that bad for the work you have done real nice job krb1945.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hindle setup thoughts

The only Hindle's I've seen are for the the right side. I wonder if their logo is removable? If it is removable you could remove the logo on the left one and put it on the out side but I believe it would be in reverse. Or I suppose you could remove the logo from both of them and have no logo at all. Now I wish I still had my Hindle for experimenting. You would also need to remove that large diameter female connection.

I'm going to get a set of the GSxR1000 mufflers for the straight in pipe connection. I don't recall hearing a GSxR muffler but I imagine they sound real nice.

As to building lower manifolds I'll build them but... always a but, since I do not have jigs for different muffler applications. I would build them for the 1800 mufflers or with a straight in male tube. A straight tube should work with many muffler arrangements if the length of the tube is long enough. If it is too long then it could be shortened to length. Also as to price I'll build them with sch10 T316L stainless as of this time. I'm about to test the stainless 16 ga T304L to see how it looks and feels when mount. But if I used this for others I would use the T316L because of the better quality and finish. In any case the price would be less than a $1000 plus the shipping for the lower manifold header.

We'll see... and I'll keep you posted.

I think part of the reason I'm a little hesitant to invest too heavily is just like the below picture. You can expend countless hours and money trying to get a new start up going and get virtually nowhere quickly. I started the below venture with OEM spec and better components. As a matter of fact I provide in my kit the only motorcycle main oil filter that has all the certifications TUV, QS9000 and ISO. The copper gaskets and "O" ring gaskets are made to spec by OEM manufacturers. There is considerable capital investiment getting a manufacturer to make dies to punch copper gaskets. It seems no other machine uses these particular copper gaskets in the U.S.A. I offer a top quality kit at low prices. I can do this because I operate in a rural area and my costs to operate are very low and markup is minimal. It all takes time and since we are nearing the end of the riding season nothing may happen until next year. As of this date 50 percent of my orders have been to Australia. With my banner add appearing on the SpyderLovers site now I'm hoping orders will increase.
    Last edited by krb1945; 10-23-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added grade of stainless to be used

Spyder Garage

love the sound
    great feed back with pictures

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default UDATE on performance

I just took the SM for a performance spin to test the new manifold and twin exhaust. I wish one of you lived close enough to test it. Over the stock exhaust this dual system makes it take off like a rocket. From a 10 mph roll on it is like a rocket and it does report with the duals. I turned it up to 8 in second 9 in third and had to let off because of the road I was on. But know this... it turned up in a couple of blinks of the eye. Considerably more power than with the stock system. If there is a member close enough in my area or you are traveling through pm me and take it for a spin. Just need an unbiased opinion so I'll know it isn't my imagination./Ken