Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder shifting improvement & P.S.repair

Just released 12/04/2008 shift improvrment bulletin. # 2009-1.
    This bulletin deals with the difficult shifting of SE5s and E or incorrect number in gear indicator, also intermitent power steering operation has been addressed.

This bulletin will have the dealer replace the Gear Angle Position Sensor,and a Oil pressure regulator spring. There is also an software update for the on board computer as well.

Now Can-am has stepped up to resolve the shift problem!
    PLEASE NOTE: Your spyder has to exhibit these problems this IS NOT an automatic blanket repair!!!!!
    Last edited by speedster200; 12-04-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: more info

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Interesting thanks for this info. I'm heading to my dealer after work today to pick up my spyder from having highway pegs installed i'll have to mention this to them to see when they will be able to take care of this issue for me.

Spyder Garage

It's great to have a dealer to help keep us up-to-date.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just got back from my dealer and the code for mine 2008-5 the 2009-1 is for the 09 model SE's. They are going to order the parts for mine now :-)

Thanks for the heads up!

lyndell bouldin

Default tug in steering

i have felt a slight stiffening in the steering when turning left or right. Is this the "intermitent power steering operation " issue? i was going to take it to the dealer for inspection and but now i will reference your notice

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyndell bouldin View Post
    i have felt a slight stiffening in the steering when turning left or right. Is this the "intermitent power steering operation " issue? i was going to take it to the dealer for inspection and but now i will reference your notice
    May not be if it is consistent, and even both ways, without jerking. The Spyder has variable assist, that changes the amount of input depending on vehicle speed and the amount the bars are turned.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My parts are on order for this fix....Hope it cures my downshifting to first gear problem.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sure is nice to have people notify you about these things.

lyndell bouldin

Default dps

i spoke to my local can am dealer, and he stated that the dps sensor has been replaced on several s. thanks for the info. different subject, can the top end be increased, 110-120 is cool, but 150-160 would be better

Spyder Garage

i do not think the tires are speed rated for those speeds. I believe the tires are H rated which would not be safe for speeds over 115-120 mph

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 09 se5 and it is in the crate, I talked to my sales rep at honda house in st. cloud mn and he has no idea what I talking about with the shifting problems with the se5. He said he would talk to the shop about what I said but I don't think they are going to do much unless I know exactly what to tell them to replace, I know the first post said you spyder had to show signs to replace parts but being in a wheelchair I rather not have to push this thing off the road and call to dealer to "tell" them nicely that this needs to be fixed.

There is still a over a foot of snow so I can take care of this now and I am about 3 hours from the dealership I bought it from.

What should I do?

Spyder Garage

You can always ask, given your special situation, they may go ahead and do what "might" be needed. But they have to package the service request with Can-Am just right. This will be a good chance for you to observe how good your dealer is.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just had the service bulliten done on mine even though i only had a shifting issue once. And I must say the auto downshift is much smoother now but haven't noticed much difference on the manual shifting up or down.

The power stering fix seems to make the stearing a bit more responsive but it seems like its a lot harder to turn bars at low speeds than it was prior to having it done.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    I just bought a 09 se5 and it is in the crate, I talked to my sales rep at honda house in st. cloud mn and he has no idea what I talking about with the shifting problems with the se5. He said he would talk to the shop about what I said but I don't think they are going to do much unless I know exactly what to tell them to replace, I know the first post said you spyder had to show signs to replace parts but being in a wheelchair I rather not have to push this thing off the road and call to dealer to "tell" them nicely that this needs to be fixed.

There is still a over a foot of snow so I can take care of this now and I am about 3 hours from the dealership I bought it from.

What should I do?
    SethO I am in a chair too and facing the same dilemma. Not that easy to just walk and wait and the dinner for them to come get you. I am thinking of going with a manual and putting a pingle electric shifter on it. Seems most of the problems lay in the tranny and this would give you auto shifting that is reliable. As for all the other weird things going on I am trying to find out if it is just the auto or all are having problems.

Thing that really gets me is the company seems to be ignoring and stalling on the problems. Just get them out there and then we'll deal with it. This many units going bad from a company that builds everything from the Sypder to Lear Jets KNOWS what's going on.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palehorsevt View Post
    ... This many units going bad from a company that builds everything from the Sypder to Lear Jets KNOWS what's going on.
    Not quite correct. Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) is the maker of Can-Am, Sea-Doos, Ski-Doos and all things consumer oriented.

Bombardier is the company that makes the planes, etc. BRP was spun off and became a separate company several (maybe 5?) years ago. No longer a connection.

And, I believe the actual transmission is the same on both SE and SM. It's the bolt-on, auto clutch/shifter that is different. If I'm wrong, I'm absolutely positive someone will correct me here.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    You can take that to the bank!

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    You can take that to the bank!
    Trouble maker!

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    You, too!

Spyder Garage

Default Still having problems

Does anyone know of anything else that can be replaced. I'm still having problems with my SE5. It will not shift out of first gear. It doesn't do it all the time and I've already had the software update the sensor and the spring replaced. the good news is the dealer called me today and they are still working on it.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bnlrobinson View Post
    Does anyone know of anything else that can be replaced. I'm still having problems with my SE5. It will not shift out of first gear. It doesn't do it all the time and I've already had the software update the sensor and the spring replaced. the good news is the dealer called me today and they are still working on it.
    I'm not a Spyder mechanic, but if I were, I would be considering the Transmission Control Module (TCM), or even the wiring harness. A faulty RPM signal could also be the culprit, or noise on the CanBus system.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    You, too!

Spyder Garage

well crap, got to get se5, the other one I was hoping I could swap out is sold, I could have it setup and run the **** out of it down at the dealers and see if it does anything like this and go from there. I also need an aftermarket pipe, it can be pink with someone elses name on it, as long as I get a little more out of it and its cheap(er) I'll take it.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'm not a Spyder mechanic, but if I were, I would be considering the Transmission Control Module (TCM), or even the wiring harness. A faulty RPM signal could also be the culprit, or noise on the CanBus system.
    -Scotty
    Thanks Scotty I'll give the dealer a call. They are trying. They tell me that mine is the only one that they have sold that is having problems.
    Ryan

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bnlrobinson View Post
    Thanks Scotty I'll give the dealer a call. They are trying. They tell me that mine is the only one that they have sold that is having problems.
    Ryan
    They do have a means of contacting BRP for technical support. I think it might be warranted in this case. I belive them when they say this is an isolated incident. They have done the normal stuff. Now it gets tougher, often guess and replace until things work.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Updates

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdylr View Post
    Just released 12/04/2008 shift improvrment bulletin. # 2009-1.
    This bulletin deals with the difficult shifting of SE5s and E or incorrect number in gear indicator, also intermitent power steering operation has been addressed.

This bulletin will have the dealer replace the Gear Angle Position Sensor,and a Oil pressure regulator spring. There is also an software update for the on board computer as well.

Now Can-am has stepped up to resolve the shift problem!
    PLEASE NOTE: Your spyder has to exhibit these problems this IS NOT an automatic blanket repair!!!!!
    Thanks, I will pick -up my new SE5 Red Spyder today, First I will Have a chat with the Shop owner about this 2009-1 bullitin.