Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Rear Tire replacement

Group

I am getting ready to change out my rear tire on my RT. I have watched Finless Bob's video many of times and I am now comparing parts. He talks about a swing arm sensor and to remove the sensor before removing the bolt for the rear shock. After crawling up under the bike I do not see a swing arm sensor. I see where the bolt would go into it, however there is no sensor. Is there one on the 2014 Spyder RT?

Also, how high do I need to jack up the bike to remove the bolt for the shock? Is the tire suppose to stay on the ground while I release the pressure on the shock to remove the bolt.

Thanks

Tony

Spyder Garage

The BASE RT does not have the air pump and position sensor.
    If you do not have that, ignore it.
    Although I thought all RT's above 2014 had it. But I am probably wrong.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT rear Tire Replacement

Mr. Finless

I have a Base RT so that may be the case.

Do you lift the tire off the ground to release the tension on the shock?

Thanks

Tony

Spyder Garage

Default Base RT does not have the air pump or position sensor

My 15 base RT is like that, so I don't have that step. I have changed the last couple of rear tires without removing the shock bolt, and been able to roll the belt off to the side of the rear sprocket without releasing the adjuster tension. The belt still has a little tension that would have been released if I had removed the lower shock bolt; your call. Either way, it is a little bit of a balancing act to get the bike jacked to JUST where the tension is off the bolt (or the rear axle shaft if you didn't remove the bolt), where the bolt or shaft can slide out. Tension should be off, when the rear tire is just about to clear the ground...
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 12-30-2016 at 12:07 AM. Reason: sp
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If, and only if you have it: it would look like this:

ACS Strut.jpg
    If you don't see it: don't worry about it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 10 View Post
    Mr. Finless

I have a Base RT so that may be the case.

Do you lift the tire off the ground to release the tension on the shock?

Thanks

Tony
    Yes I did lift it to get the weight off the shock bolt. But, as others said, you can do it without removing the shock bolt.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

I had No problem on the GS model BUT on the RT it really helps if you have someone to hold the wheel as you lower the bike down because I had to keep lowering it and then adjusting and raising. It was a pain in the Arm! Some one holding the wheel while you slowly lower the jack to the position of sliding the axle back through. "Nothing is Easy on a Spyder?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Removal of rear tire and laser alignment

Finless, if I use your approach of removing the rear tire. Would this mean that it would not mess up the laser alignment? I need to get a new tire before our ryding season starts. I am looking at the General tire and of course my dealer will not mount that tire. So I will have to take off the tire and find a shop to do it.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHOCK BOLT

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Finless, if I use your approach of removing the rear tire. Would this mean that it would not mess up the laser alignment? I need to get a new tire before our ryding season starts. I am looking at the General tire and of course my dealer will not mount that tire. So I will have to take off the tire and find a shop to do it.
    The reason most people remove the shock bolt is because this gives extra slack for the drive belt ..... this allows you to not have to touch the ADJUSTERS ..... so when you re-assemble it should be EXACTLY where it was BEFORE you started ............... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    That is correct as Blueknight said doing it this way ensures the adjusters do not change thus not effecting alignment.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike and Bob

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod