Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC ON SALE

People here have asked to be told when WALMART has the " 4 T - stroke " in six-pack on Sale. Well it is ON-LINE in 20w50 @ $42 = $ 7.00 per Qt....... I add one Qt. to each oil change to increase the viscosity ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the heads up and letting everyone know when and where the deals are... it is a great deal for an excellent oil....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,

Re: I add one Qt. to each oil change to increase the viscosity

Could you explain this further?

Do you add one quart to the other oil you put in, i.e., 3 1/4 qts of regular oil ( or whatever is req'd minus one qt ) + one qt of this?

Do you add one quart in addition to the other oil you put in?

??????????????????

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Why do you want to increase viscosity? Does it help bike run cooler in hot weather?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default VISCOSITY

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Mike,

Re: I add one Qt. to each oil change to increase the viscosity

Could you explain this further?

Do you add one quart to the other oil you put in, i.e., 3 1/4 qts of regular oil ( or whatever is req'd minus one qt ) + one qt of this?

Do you add one quart in addition to the other oil you put in?

??????????????????

Jerry Baumchen
    ....I have the 1330 so it's 4- Valvoline 4T- stroke full syn 10w40 + 1- 20w50 ......5 Total ..... From reading ALL the LAB tests others have done .... it appears the oils start to lose viscosity at about 3,000 mi., I change at 5,000 so I add the 20w50 as an insurance measure ...... It's full syn , so it's not really much thicker than 10w40........( I think ) ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default viscosity

Quote Originally Posted by vinsanity666 View Post
    Why do you want to increase viscosity? Does it help bike run cooler in hot weather?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I answered this in my post #4 above ....., I'm not sure about the " cooler " thing tho........ Mike

Spyder Garage

I also have the 1330 engine ( 2014RTS-SE6)and I also use the Valvoline 4T Stroke Full Synthetic sae 10W-40 in my spyder. I changed to the above last year.

This oil is for" Superior Wet Clutch Protection".
    Synthetic formula maximizes power and acceleration,
    outstanding wet clutch protection for maximum power transfer & smooth shifting,
    Added protection against harmful deposits that can decrease engine performance,
    Excellent wear & corrosion protective to help keep the engine performing its bests.

Exceeds API Services SJ/ SG/SF, JASO MA2.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I always like to add a quart of peanut oil and a pint of kerosene just because I know those so called engineers and chemical engineers are really stupid and, like cooking, oil science is really just a matter of taste.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For the last few seasons I've been running 20/50 completely in my 990. It's the same rotax Aprilia uses and they spec 20/50 in a much more demanding platform. I sometimes drop to a 50/50 mix of 20/50 and 10/40 to run over the winter. BRP is notorious for spec'ing all their machines for use on shared seasonal oils. Makes it easier for dealers to stock oil and idiot proof for consumers doing their own maintenance. While it may work, it also may not be the most ideal. It is easy though, and no issues with however one chooses.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Mike, the Rotella T6 has superior resistance to shear viscosity breakdown vs the Valvoline. Its also MA-2 rated for your wet clutch. Since you have a 1330, you would be dollars and oil quality ahead to use Rotella T6 vs the Valvoline motorcycle oil. We do use the Valvoline in the V-twins to meet the BRP spec for those.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default ROTELLA VS VALVOLINE FULL SYN

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Mike, the Rotella T6 has superior resistance to shear viscosity breakdown vs the Valvoline. Its also MA-2 rated for your wet clutch. Since you have a 1330, you would be dollars and oil quality ahead to use Rotella T6 vs the Valvoline motorcycle oil. We do use the Valvoline in the V-twins to meet the BRP spec for those.
    ................JC, I switched from the T-6 to the Valvoline because the "V" contains the second lowest amount of " Moly " ( Amsol is lowest ).....I can adjust for " shear ", I can't do anything about Moly ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default INFORMATIONAL POSTING

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    I always like to add a quart of peanut oil and a pint of kerosene just because I know those so called engineers and chemical engineers are really stupid and, like cooking, oil science is really just a matter of taste.
    Actually what's really STUPID is your POST..... it's OFF topic because it's not meant to be HELPFUL or INFORMATIONAL ...... It's sole purpose is/was to be MEAN /NASTY to ME..... Since there are no smiley or laughing emoji's it wasn't meant to be funny or a joke. Why you PERSIST in this behavior is beyond my comprehension. If you don't like MY posts ....STOP READING THEM .....they have nothing to do with YOU ........... best regards ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default THE " moly " THING

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If molybdenum disulfide is not sufficient, wear will occurr more rapidly. As I understand it, zinc is the preferred wear additive when moly is not utilized or moly is reduced.

I have no idea what are good values regarding minimum zinc levels.

Moly is an incredibly good additive in many applications. Moly will however be drawn to hotter items such as clutch plates. In extreme cases, this may cause clutch slipping.

Zinc works well to combat shock loads and wear of metal to metal parts. It does not interact via heat or with the friction of the clutch.
    I have NEVER read anything that said " MOLY " is good for WET clutches ...... but I have read where it's BAD ..... Someone above THINKS - PEANUT OIL & KEROSINE is great ............. I don't know about the " ZINC " thing so I didn't comment ....... thanks for that info ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

When I was a lad back in the mid last century I read that in the high Arctic & low Antarctic, drivers of large machinery would use kerosene as their lubricating oil because the then available oils would turn to grease at the low temps.

They also lit fires under the oil pans.

Maybe they used peanut oil as well but more likely they drank that.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

My company used to do a lot of work in a refinery. While doing some modifications in their blend house, their engineer told me "one thing you never want to do is mix viscosities because you never know what you will end up with." After reading here how some people add a heavier oil to increase viscosity, I contacted Valvoline asking about the different specs for their oil. This was their reply:

Though we do have products that cover the JASO MA, unfortunately we do not produce any in the 5w-40 viscosity. Since this is not produced and we do not recommend mixing the viscosities, we will have direct you to motorcycle shop or dealership for the appropriate fluid.
    Last edited by 5Wheels; 12-03-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5Wheels View Post
    My company used to do a lot of work in a refinery. While doing some modifications in their blend house, their engineer told me "one thing you never want to do is mix viscosities because you never know what you will end up with." After reading here how some people add a heavier oil to increase viscosity, I contacted Valvoline asking about the different specs for their oil. This was their reply:

Though we do have products that cover the JASO MA, unfortunately we do not produce any in the 5w-40 viscosity. Since this is not produced and we do not recommend mixing the viscosities, we will have direct you to motorcycle shop or dealership for the appropriate fluid.
    While true as to their 5w-40 oils the oils under discussion here are 4T 20W 50 and 4T 10W 40, both of which as per Valvoline's own labels do meet JASO MA 2

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default MIXING VISCOSITIES

Quote Originally Posted by 5Wheels View Post

#1, I posted what I do and didn't remotely suggest anyone do the same .......... #2., What you were told was a CYA statement from their Legal department just in case you did it and sued them for some bizarre reason. #3., a ladder with a warning sticker " 300 lb overload " has probably been tested at 600 lbs. and not failed. BUT their lawyers want the warning at 300 lbs ....again CYA ........ jmho ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Besides this is not an oil thread,this is just one member letting the rest ofus know where an oil we like is on sale and a reason why he buys it. Buy it or not your money your choice

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Has anyone sent in a sample of the "Valvoline Full Synthetic motorcycle oil 4T stroke SAE 10W-40?

If so what were the test results?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Actually what's really STUPID is your POST..... it's OFF topic because it's not meant to be HELPFUL or INFORMATIONAL ...... It's sole purpose is/was to be MEAN /NASTY to ME..... Since there are no smiley or laughing emoji's it wasn't meant to be funny or a joke. Why you PERSIST in this behavior is beyond my comprehension. If you don't like MY posts ....STOP READING THEM .....they have nothing to do with YOU ........... best regards ..... Mike
    Well Mike since my post failed to meet your standards try this one instead.
    Repeatedly you claim more knowledge than the people who make the oil, the engine and the vehicle.
    Maybe you do.
    But when I find you posting items that are in direct contradiction to the terms and conditions of a possible warranty claim I think you should be called on it.
    I actually don't trust that you know more than the people who made the the vehicle.
    Tell me, are you willing to make good on a declined warranty claim for anyone that follows your advice?
    Last edited by spyderCodes; 12-04-2016 at 04:16 PM.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default HUH

Well Mike since my post failed to meet your standards try this one instead.
    Repeatedly you claim more knowledge than the people who make the oil, the engine and the vehicle.
    Maybe you do.
    But when I find you posting items that are in direct contradiction to the terms and conditions of a possible warranty claim I think you should be called on it.
    I actually don't trust that you know more than the people who made the the vehicle.
    Tell me, are you willing to make good on a declined warranty claim for anyone that follows your advice?
    ................I posted about an OIL SALE ..... I think you are losing it mentally ..... I didn't make ANY claims ....... WALMART did ............ KEROSENE ....PEANUT OIL ........I sure hope you do use them .....best regards ......... M
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-04-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Oh Mike you are simply adorable.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Oh Mike you are simply adorable.
    How you can take facts and twist them.
    You could, if you were younger, get a job at one of the cable news networks that are so adept at changing facts.

Thanks so much for the belly laughs, kindly IM me with the proper emoticons to use so my post will be up to your standards,
    Thanks again.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.