Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT or F3 for a new, senior, petite, female rider?

CROSS-POSTED IN THE F3 FORUM.

I ride a motorcycle and have never ridden a Spyder.

I would like my wife to ride with me, but she won't ride on a motorcycle as a rider or passenger. She has made comments that she might ride a Spyder. I suspect most would be as a passenger, but some could be as the "driver".

I have narrowed down my search to a 2014 or later RT-S or RT-limited, or a 2015 or later F3-S, F3-T, or F3 Limited. i want the 1330 Rotak engine.

Being a "senior", comfort is an issue. So, I am leaning toward the RT, especially for 2-up riding. However, as my wife is short (5' 2") and has short legs, I worry about the fit for her with the RT. I assume that a Triaxis handlebar would take care of any reach problem, but I am concerned that the reach of her leg to the brake pedal might be a problem.

The advantage of the F3 is the UFit system, which should allow us to dial in the fit, but I am wondering if the sporty nature of this model might make it much less comfortable to ride than the RT, especially 2-up.

Also, does one of these take more effort to steer than the other?

I realize that a test ride is the best way to deal with these issues, but I would like to first get some feedback from Spyder riders so that I would be better prepared when we go shopping.

Thanks for your help,
    Wayne
    Last edited by wvedec; 12-02-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has your Wife tried the bikes out yet?
    That will ultimately be, what answers your question.

My Missus is 5' 1", and feels pretty comfortable in the front chair of our RT...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My wife is 4' 11" and can reach the brake fine. I do agree that the adjustable handlebar would be a good idea.
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

As you say the test ryde will clear things up as to the fit and comfort but you need to consider the type of ryding you will be doing. Each model has that built in the RT full touring and comfort for long trips with storage etc and the F3 is the cruiser sportier but they added the tour package so you can do a bit more. Seating would be the biggest difference all the rest can be adjusted....happy hunting and welcome to the spyder world....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default petite female rider

My wife (5') had never ridden a bike except behind me back in the 70's she bought her first RTs as a retirement gift for herself as she had learned to ride my RT encase I got hurt or sick when we were traveling. Her first year she put over 25K on her bike and last year bought a 2015 RTS limited and had the Tri-Axis handle bars installed . In 3 years she has over 50K of riding in 10 states. She has tried the F3s but likes her RT much better.
    Red Rock 060.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT VS. F-3

Some things to consider ..... Yes the F-3 has the " U " fit - however it isn't easily changed to fit you if you wanted to drive it ( Also not cheap to do ) ....... The F-3 is claimed to be a TWO-UP machine but most will tell you it ISN'T ...... ESPECIALLY the passengers ....... Also BRP - has had to build a PATCH to support the FRAME that is cracking in half ( really ) ..... Until they re-design and build a SAFE frame I'd stay away from it .........Mike

Spyder Garage

You have pretty much answered your own questions.

I recommend test drives--with the Missus on board. If she don't like it, she wont ride.

If your looking comfort for both driver and passenger, RT is probably your best bet. Seating for passengers is quite second class, more so on the F3, and a little better on the RT.

I own both a 2014 (1330) and a 2011 (990). Go for the 1330 for sure.

Let us know what you decide. Thanks for giving us a chance to give some input.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would also recommend the RT. The U-Fit system for the F3 is great but once you get it adjusted for you, it may not be comfortable for your wife and vice versa. It's not something you can do along side the road or in a parking lot when you switch riders.

H2O

Spyder Garage

My wife is five feet tall and reaches all controls fine on her 2012 RT. She never rode motorcycles but rode on back of mine occasionally. Eventually, she wanted to do her own riding. I would say half the time, I ride the RT with her on back anyway! The RT though is very comfortable for us on weekend trips - where she would never ride on back of my motorcycle. Otherwise she follows me on the motorcycle for jaunts on weekends and enjoys it.
    2012 RT-SE5

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Our daughter...

..is a grand mother -- rides her RT-Limited just fine. Newer (2014 up) would give the latest/greatest engine/transmission combo.

Happy shopping.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Also BRP - has had to build a PATCH to support the FRAME that is cracking in half ( really ) ..... Until they re-design and build a SAFE frame I'd stay away from it .........Mike

This is the first I've heard of this. (Considering an F3) Do you have a link or reference for this so I can read up on it?
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default 4 foot 9 1/2 inches with a RT Limited

I am a very petite female senior - 4 foot 9 1/2 inches tall and 104 pounds.

I have had my Spyder for almost 3 months . . . the most fun you can have and still have your clothes on!!

Only issue I had with my new Spyder was not being able to reach the handlebars comfortably. I did not want to spend the money for the handlebar extension, so I bought a stock backrest and then had a custom "booster" backrest added to the stock backrest (buckled to the frame of the backrest). It pushed me forward about 5 inches which allowed me to reach the handlebars, drink in drink holder and use all the other functions on the dash and handlebars with ease. The cost for the upholstered "booster" backrest was $250.00; it fits my back perfectly and gives me hours and hours of pure comfort and support for my back which allows me to ride for 10 to 12 hours without fatigue (stopping of course for meals and bathroom breaks (it's like sitting on my couch).

2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a petite female, 5'2", and I love my 2015 RT-S. Before seeing a Spyder in person, going by BRP's website, I thought I wanted the F3T, but my local dealer only had one Spyder in stock, and it was an RT. It seemed huge compared to my regular motorcycle, BUT everything was within perfect range, from the foot boards to the brake pedal to the handlebars. Granted, my hindquarters don't come near the cantle of my seat, but that's a zero issue for me.

This fall, I got to sit on several F3s for the first time. I HATED THEM!! The foot pegs were way out in front of me, and the body (gas tank, I assume) was so expansive and convex that I felt as folded up as a bobby pin when holding the grips. I came away THRILLED that I'd made the right decision last winter when I bought the RT without having had any other Spyders to compare it to.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    This is the first I've heard of this. (Considering an F3) Do you have a link or reference for this so I can read up on it?
    This was a repair done to the 2015 bikes only. The frame was reinforced the next year, and all has been hunky-dory since!
    I don't remember if it was a recall, or just a TSB. If you do a thorough search in the F-3 Section: this was thoroughly discussed in there.

EDIT: I found you a good source of information:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=f-3+recall
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-11-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Ruralgirl!!

Thanks Ruralgirl, this EXACTLY the kind of information that I was seeking. It is incredible helpful. I have decided to go with an RT. My wife may not even ride, but it sounds like it would be better for me as well. If needed, we can get a triaxis handlebar to aid with the reach.

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    I'm a petite female, 5'2", and I love my 2015 RT-S. Before seeing a Spyder in person, going by BRP's website, I thought I wanted the F3T, but my local dealer only had one Spyder in stock, and it was an RT. It seemed huge compared to my regular motorcycle, BUT everything was within perfect range, from the foot boards to the brake pedal to the handlebars. Granted, my hindquarters don't come near the cantle of my seat, but that's a zero issue for me.

This fall, I got to sit on several F3s for the first time. I HATED THEM!! The foot pegs were way out in front of me, and the body (gas tank, I assume) was so expansive and convex that I felt as folded up as a bobby pin when holding the grips. I came away THRILLED that I'd made the right decision last winter when I bought the RT without having had any other Spyders to compare it to.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Some things to consider ..... Yes the F-3 has the " U " fit - however it isn't easily changed to fit you if you wanted to drive it ( Also not cheap to do ) ....... The F-3 is claimed to be a TWO-UP machine but most will tell you it ISN'T ...... ESPECIALLY the passengers ....... Also BRP - has had to build a PATCH to support the FRAME that is cracking in half ( really ) ..... Until they re-design and build a SAFE frame I'd stay away from it .........Mike
    LOL, there was 1 frame that cracked. Lets not embellish. BRP for once stepped up to the plate quickly and ordered all F3 to have a support bracket installed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wvedec View Post
    Thanks Ruralgirl, this EXACTLY the kind of information that I was seeking. It is incredible helpful. I have decided to go with an RT. My wife may not even ride, but it sounds like it would be better for me as well. If needed, we can get a triaxis handlebar to aid with the reach.

I'm sooooo glad I could help, Wayne! I don't think you'll regret for a minute choosing the RT. I don't even think the handlebars will be a problem. Thanks for making my day.

Wendy

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

A booster backrest cushion to move a short person forward in the seat is the cheapest route & works great to turn handlebars & reach all controls. I RIDE my Spyder with a young woman that handles her Spyder comfortably putting on all kinds of smiles!!!

Spyder Garage

@ruralgirl, resurrecting an old thread. Where did you get your custom backrest made? We are looking for a similar solution for a petite rider.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would always choose an RT over an F3. Also,I would not buy a RTL. too many gadgets I don't need or can later add-on as after market products. I particularly would not pay the $1,000. BRP charges for those small Floorboards. Even as a shorter man, I want to be able to stretch my legs out at times. I have a 2014 RT and have added Trix Handel bars and my Seal Floorboards. Moving my hips nd feet around is very important to me. I want to....
    Ride in comfort,
    John