Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

As a veteran motorcycle rider, you sometimes have to UN-Learn some things. This is usually only a problem in the first month of riding. I got scared on my first ride home too. Had to do with approaching an Ess turn a bit too fast. When I grabbed the bar for the brake, I just lost 25 feet of slowing and was in a deeper predicament.

Obviously I survived the error, but it did take another 200 miles to regain confidence and overcoming remorse..

Spyder Garage

Like Jon said --- Use a light grip & Push the grips instead of pulling. You will learn to love it
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McNally View Post
    Did that solve your problem?
    I had to go out of town for a few days, but I plan to take her out Sunday. I'll report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember, on a two wheeler, the bike is self centering. On a three wheeler (reverse trike) there are two wheels on the steering end, like a car; so minute active corrections are needed - as each tire travels its own path and hits different irregularities on the pavement. Kind of like the bike on LA's rain grooved highways - there is a bit of wandering to be expected.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by airtire View Post
    Just picked up my Black Beauty today from Bert's in Los Angeles. I test rode the Spyder a few weeks back on main streets (no freeway), getting up to 60 and everything felt great.

Going home today on the freeway the Spyder feels very sensitive over 60 and every lane change felt like it was grabbing and I get a scary type of sway when I am going fast.

We do have grooves in the pavement here, so I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Also, high speed sweeper on ramps, heading in to it about 70 and then hitting the ramp it feels pretty unstable.

Perhaps tire pressure or what do you folks think? If it is a "rookie mistake" let me know. I have been riding conventional motorcycles for 35 years.

Thanks!

Hang in there "rookie". You are now, where we all (or many of us) have been. The spyder is a beautiful, yet complex machine. In order to really enjoy it, you have to learn it's "ways". Once you learn the spyder, and it learns you, the fun will begin. On my ride home from the dealer, the "Big Dawg" and I were at odds. Add to that a light rain ☔️ during the last 15 miles and I thought I had made a big mistake. Thankfully I read the forum and joined a local Spyder Rider chapter. My rides are now fun, not challenging. I now have about 10k miles on the "Dawg" and I look forward to a lot more. Hang in there. You'll be happy you did.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dlby View Post
    You dont need all the crap everyone will tell you to run out real fast & get-- learn to drive it first then decide. It is a great stock machine. Well engineered.
    Can be improved later if u want

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!
    I agree ... learn to drive it first and then decide what needs tweaked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Adjusting to a Spyder

I have been riding since the 60's. I have a Kawasaki 1600 Nomad and bought a 2009 SE5. The 90 mile ride home was fun, but interesting. I had to do a short stretch of interstate to get to the road home. The steering is very responsive, and it did not take too long to get used to it. It was 45 degrees, windy with occasional light rain for the ride home. I rode the Spyder quite a bit, as I put the Nomad away for the winter. I got used to the handlling rather steadily as I rode more. The Spyder is a different animal than a 2 wheeler, but as I have gotten used to it, and really enjoy riding it. I am looking forward to more time on the Spyder when winter is done.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

While tire pressure, laser alignment and other "fixes" may help, many of you seem to have forgotten how vastly different a Spyder is from a two wheel bike. The OP experienced the same as I did, and is similarly experienced. I have updated suspension and perfect tire pressure, and still feel it, though I have learned to adjust. Long years of miles on the two wheel bike will make anyone feel the Spyder is a scary bike to ride initially. My wife, with zero two wheel experience felt absolutely none of the issues I felt.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Learning the Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    While tire pressure, laser alignment and other "fixes" may help, many of you seem to have forgotten how vastly different a Spyder is from a two wheel bike. The OP experienced the same as I did, and is similarly experienced. I have updated suspension and perfect tire pressure, and still feel it, though I have learned to adjust. Long years of miles on the two wheel bike will make anyone feel the Spyder is a scary bike to ride initially. My wife, with zero two wheel experience felt absolutely none of the issues I felt.
    I agree with Jim, riding a Spyder always puts me in mind of driving an old MG or Triumph sports car. They were a lot of fun after you found out the front end was going to stay attached to the rest of the car. The shaking and rain groove traking was part of the experience.

Now with the Spyders the twitching is ok, the relaxed riding style I have adopoted is working great. I hear other people complain that the Spyder does not lean, BFD, neither does your car. The Spyder demands time to be understood if you are coming from two wheels, if not it is the greatest ride in the world, no real worries of braking, shifting and balance.

The Spyder has opened up many doors to people who,due to phyiscal problems could never experience the thrill of open air riding.

My 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

Lots of good comments - "light hand" is critical - but I suspect that 25 PSI in the front tires was adding some "bounce" to his front end that would really make for a squirrely ride.

Probably a combination of all of the above.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Two word answer....

Laser alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Newby too

I picked up my 2016 RT Limited on Sept. 9; did not ride it until a week. Right from day one I was experiencing something that no one thought to tell me about my new Spyder.

I was riding with friend who had purchased a used 2014; he moved his Spyder around like a little toy. I could not get mine to respond in the same manner and I thought I would never get it to "behave" and that I had to be doing something wrong.

The first issue was shifting it into reverse. It would take me many repeated tries for it to engage. The next issue was that the handlebars felt "stiff". Just moving it around was very taxing to me.

I now have over 4000 miles on the odometer and here is what I experienced. After about 2000 miles everything started to feel "looser"; the reverse suddenly began engaging on the first try. The handlebars moved very easily. All of the swaying suddenly was not there (which I attributed to relaxing my grip on the grips). I firmly believe that a new Spyder is "tighter" than a used one (makes sense to me).

I have been on motorcycles since I was a little girl with the last 20 years on the back of a goldwing, so I was used to the lean. I was warned there would be no lean with a Spyder so I was prepared for that and had no problem with just sitting there and riding. Around 2000 miles I took a long trip through a very scenic and twisty mountain range (over 50 miles of curves and at least a dozen switch backs). By the end of the day I had mastered taking the sharp curves with ease. Practice by riding certainly cured my fear of the curves and the sway. Using a push pull technique made turning easier for me after the handlebars "loosened up" I rode today and felt my first "float" while going around a curve coming down a mountain, which kind of surprised me but a second later it dawned on me what I was experiencing . . exciting to say the least. Riding my Spyder is my therapy and I can't get enough of it. It's so relaxing to me to just sit there and let the machine take me where she wants me to go. I love my Spyder.

Hang in there and just go ride for the enjoyment of it. Every time I get on mine now it feels like I am in control and it is all so easy. Every time I ride it, I love it more and more.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue