Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default First Ride Home on 2016 RT Special Scared the Scrap out of me - Handling Help

Just picked up my Black Beauty today from Bert's in Los Angeles. I test rode the Spyder a few weeks back on main streets (no freeway), getting up to 60 and everything felt great.

Going home today on the freeway the Spyder feels very sensitive over 60 and every lane change felt like it was grabbing and I get a scary type of sway when I am going fast.

We do have grooves in the pavement here, so I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Also, high speed sweeper on ramps, heading in to it about 70 and then hitting the ramp it feels pretty unstable.

Perhaps tire pressure or what do you folks think? If it is a "rookie mistake" let me know. I have been riding conventional motorcycles for 35 years.

Thanks!

IMG_9983.jpg

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on that good looking ride. I just got my 'Special' a month or so ago and yes coming off a traditional two wheeler is STRANGE!

First thing everyone here will tell you is relax and loosen your grip! I rode Goldwings forever and was used to the lean and manual force at low speeds... that's all gone here. Put a few more miles on and relax. Get used to the bike not leaning like a two wheeler. I just passed 1600 miles on mine and now beginning to feel 'normal' in a higher speed curve.

I'm too new to really know... but I do know... don't give in too early. You will love the ride. And is u have a co-rider... they will love the sure footedness of the spyder. Enjoy that new toy and put some miles on it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

This is a normal response, especially if you are a two wheel rider.

I picked up my wife's ST-S and rode home 190 miles. It was a bit frightening at first. I have almost 500K miles on two wheels, but the advice here helped a lot.

Light hands on the grips. Let the bike move under you. Lean harder than you think you need to. Push the grips instead of pulling. Look here for full details: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

I have about 500 miles on it now, and it is great. My wife never had an issue, but never rode two wheels either.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Check your tire pressure

Check your tire pressure, mine were 9 and 10 lbs low when I picked up my RT. It handled much better after I corrected the pressure.

Spyder Garage

definite learning curve here. Your RT has fairly well "boosted" power steering, which is said to be "speed sensistive". but
    ain't so much. Any kind of energy or input from too tight a grip, gets amplified out at the front wheels.
    I lived and rode 2 wheelers in So Cal for 20 years, and I know about rain grooves. Almost like a two wheeler, you have
    to let it seek a little.

going into corners, or ramps, you need to weight the outside foot, and do a little weight transfer move to the inside of the turn,
    Lots of folks, everyone? do this to counteract the centrifugal force that wants to throw your body wide. For me, just a "head and shoulders" kind of deal works just fine.

practice somewhere besides the freeway. It is a target rich environment, and you should be pretty comfortable before doing battle out there. Your 2 wheel safety instincts will help.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Assuming tire pressures and alignment are within spec, then it's a learning process. I came off two wheelers and the first highway rides felt really foreign and yes, unstable.

It may take you a couple of hundred miles to where you feel comfortable. I still ride both kinds and after a week on the bikes the Spyder takes a few miles to feel familiar again.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Assuming tire pressures and alignment are within spec, then it's a learning process. I came off two wheelers and the first highway rides felt really foreign and yes, unstable.

It may take you a couple of hundred miles to where you feel comfortable. I still ride both kinds and after a week on the bikes the Spyder takes a few miles to feel familiar again.
    Exactly. I switch back and forth day to day. Once you get the feel, it is not hard to swap around, but more importantly, you learn the feel for the Spyder dynamics pretty fast if you follow the few simple techniques.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

and on your new

The solutions are pretty much addressed above.

If not done already, read the Do's and Don'ts thread. It will cover many of the topics in detail. What you describe sounds a bit like over control and the possibility that the tire pressures are off. I would recommend checking them first. 18-20 in the fronts and 28 in the rear is a good place to start.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Check list

There is definitely a learning curve but check everything you can. My air pressures were off and lugnuts were not loose but they were not torqued properly. It won't be long before your knuckles go from white back to their natural color.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and don't worry: you'll get the hang of it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Easy solution...
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oops - hit "Return" too soon.

Easy solution - dedicate a Saturday to a long extended ryde. Twisties, 4 lane highways, interstates, more twisties. You'll question your sanity the first 150 miles, be getting the hang of it for a bit, at 300 miles you'll decide you'll never go back.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I experienced the same scenario on my 150 mile ride home. The most important thing I learned was that the bike has power steering. When you try to control it like a bike, it feels very jittery. I've now nearly 8K miles since March.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I had the same experience with speeds over 60 mph. Laser alignment made both of our RTs rock solid. No more panic mode when passing semi trucks!
    2014 RT Limited, Cognac (Wife's) Hand Brake, Heated Comfort Seat, iPhone Cable in Glove Box, Baja Ron Swaybar, Spyder Pop's BumpSkid.
    2014 RT-S, Cognac (Mine) Tri Axis Bars, Comfort Seat, BRP Backrest, iPhone Cable in Glove Box, Baja Ron Swaybar, Spyder Pop's BumpSkid, Spyder2go Drink Holder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and on your spyder. As stated in previous posts, coming from 2 wheels to a spyder, takes a little time. It took me about 350-400 miles. Enjoy and Dale

Spyder Garage

Welcome new rider,
    Tire pressure can make all the deference in the world! more than I ever thought possible and it dosnt take much to make a change. another thing I would do is add the Baja Ron swaybar, I waited about 40,000 miles before I had it installed and it made a huge difference in cornering.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure

Checked the front tires and found they had 25 PSI in them. I lowered them to 20 and will see how that changes things. Thanks for all the help!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Welcome new rider,
    Tire pressure can make all the deference in the world! more than I ever thought possible and it dosnt take much to make a change. another thing I would do is add the Baja Ron swaybar, I waited about 40,000 miles before I had it installed and it made a huge difference in cornering.
    Congratulations in getting your Can Am Spyder. I also got mine December 1, 2016. I have a 2016 F3-S Triple Black. I got a so so deal, but I realize I am very happy that I bought it though I should of got it in November. I was really nervous at first, and my I live in the Central Valley in California. I know the of feeling driving in the Orange County area.

I have read the Spyder Forums. I am plan to get the Baja Ron Swaybar, Laser alignment, Windshield, and the BRP idler kit. These are good recommendations from the people who ride the Spyder. Currently, I read the Do's and Don'ts and I am currently reading manual. This is my first motorcycle, and I am plan to get a motorcycle license so I can reduce my insurance.

All, I know is play with it, practice on it, and just have fun with it.

Spyder Garage

Default Keep on ryding!!

I got our Spyder in August of this year. I had been riding a VTX 1800 2 up and alone. I admit my first test ride was a VERY different feel. We bought the Spyder and rode a couple of times 50-60 miles and pulled our camper. When asked by friends, I describe the ride like a snowmobile or a ski-doo.... very flat compared to my VTX. My dealer had told me to relax my grip and push rather than pull.... and we rode about 2000 miles to Arkansas and back the last part of October. We were on interstates, 2 up, pulling a Bunkhouse and while it feels different than my VTX, I felt comfortable and confident on our Spyder. Check everything as suggested and then relax and ryde!
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

2000 miles for me
    I thought wat the crap have i done.
    Then one day (it happened)
    No more weaving, get a dring, change tunes, set cruise, all without thinking.
    Natural doesn't come easy but when it comes you wi love it

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Get a drink (of water that is) not a dring. Duh

Spyder Garage

You dont need all the crap everyone will tell you to run out real fast & get-- learn to drive it first then decide. It is a great stock machine. Well engineered.
    Can be improved later if u want

Spyder Garage

Congrats! Good looking machine. I have a RTS, purchased June 2016. Had balance issues with my victory Vegas 8 ball, I love the power of my Vic. But I have to admit the Spyder is my love to ride machine. July Aug Sept Oct it was too hot for me to ride in az, but now you can't keep me off of it. Scheduled for my first oil change Dec 13th. Relax don't grip the wheel or ride the brake. I have 3000 mi and ordered my second and third accessory. First was hwywy pegs. Today I got a skid pad my bottom is scratched up and an Akar...exhaust for a rumble. I love playing in traffic in the carpool lane. Relax loosen your grip and enjoy!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the challenges of riding a Spyder! I, too, thought I'd made a mistake, but I kept at it. It took me about 1500 miles until I felt really comfortable. (FWIW, I had been riding BMWs for over 30 years.)

I'll echo two things already mentioned above: a light touch is essential, and tire pressure is very critical (the front tires have to be within a half a pound PSI of each other). I'll add a third one: the stock tires suck. I mean REALLY suck. I replaced the rear at 6500 miles with a General Altimax (no surprise; the rear tires are notoriously short-lived), but didn't really feel a change in handling (but I was grateful for better longevity). At around 12,000 miles I finally put some Kumho's on the front. Holy cow, what a difference!!!!! I had presumed that Spyders were naturally twitchy and nervous, with a lot of feedback from the road, due to its short wheelbase and somewhat sporty suspension. Nope, it was the crappy tires. My Spyder is now butter-smooth on the road, and handling is MUCH more precise.

If you've got the money, get a BajaRon sway bar, and swap out the tires ASAP, regardless of remaining tread life. You'll be much happier for it.

Updated: For an example of how much difference a new set of tires can make, see this thread.
    Last edited by Fat Baxter; 12-02-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by airtire View Post
    Checked the front tires and found they had 25 PSI in them. I lowered them to 20 and will see how that changes things. Thanks for all the help!
    Did that solve your problem?

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)