Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder in the snow

Does anyone know if there are any snow tires or chains for the Spyder. I have a 2013 se5 limited
    Thanks

Leo

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry: They're not designed for this application.
    You've got two non-driving front wheels , trying to be pushed by a single driving wheel out back. This is a recipe for trouble!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There was a recent thread (which I cannot find at the moment) discussing pros and cons of 's in the snow.

You might want to consider that the front tires are going to be like snow plows and the back tire will most likely break traction and spin out.

You can get most tires studded--but I don't think you will find either studded or winter rated snow tires specifically for the . I would not use chains. A chain coming off on the back tire could wreck a lot of stuff.

There have been a couple brave ones that I know of. Seth up in Bemidji MN. tried it back in 2008 or so. I do not know if he is a current rider in the snow.

My dealer also tried it when they first came out. He studded the tires. He gave it one 25 mile test on the highway and that was enough. My feeling, is that I do not want to play dodgeball with the big trucks and SUV's that permeate our main highway.

Mine got stuck in the driveway trying to back up a slight incline. Enough for me to park it.

There are a few who would like to try, so be sure to post what you find about winter tires.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-29-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP has always had other machines available, that are MUCH better in the snow...

2016 Ski Doo.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default GOODYEAR

GOODYEAR but BAD IDEA.....
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....161129203353:s

SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I found that there really wasn't a heap of room between the tire & the swing arms, stone guards etc under there for chains on my 2013 RT Ltd SE5, but then I am running a slightly larger than stock 225/65R15 tire, so that may've been the final straw in the chain fitting stakes.... Besides, our usual snow depth on the roads here tends to be measured in inches, not feet; & most places below about 2500 feet altitude rarely get snow that actually stays on the ground or roads - so even if they get a full & 'deep' covering overnight (it's all relative, remember!), by about 10 am the next morning that's all just a wet memory!!

But taking a run in our 'Snowy Mountains' during the tail end of winter was great!! Even without chains (or studs) but wearing All-Weather tires with a M&S rating all around, the Spyder proved to be a whole lotta fun on a (very) early morning run in what little snow we do occasionally get in this country!! We beat the snow clearing teams out, altho there was still probably only 6" of snow at its deepest, mostly it would've averaged saaay 2" deep; but still, there was a full cover over some 30 or so miles of our Snowy Mountains Hwy & it hadn't yet had a chance to melt & then re-freeze, so it was pretty good going in/on a largely pristine snow cover. (I did take a detour onto a private airstrip too, which was even mor fun!! ) Reducing our speed, gentle control inputs, & leaving ourselves plenty of room for corrective &/or evasive actions from the set to proved to be a smart move, if not essential once the tourists in their cages hit the roads; the cages seemed to spend way more time 'out of control' than we did - but then they really don't ever get that much practice Snow driving in Aus, while those of us who've lived & worked above the snow line for a few years tend to find time to fit in some practice daily whenever there's snow & take every opportunity to go out & experiment!! And the Spyder proved it was a blast!!

Ice on the road tho, that's a whole 'nuther matter!! If it's snow that's had a chance to melt any and then re-freeze, so it's gonna be covering an ice slick; or it's on a road where there's lots of spots where black ice can develop, I'm just not playing!! Snow can be fun, riding on Ice covered roads without chains or studs is just painful!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-29-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd imagine it would be frustrating to ride in circles all day, not going anywhere.

When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

There are always people quick to dismiss an idea. Until someone tries studded tires, no one really know's if it is possible.

As for the front tires pushing snow, you mean like a car?

So many naysayers who would never even consider trying it.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Before the issue gets pushed a bit to far, here is a direct paste from the owners/operators manual.

"Road Conditions and
    Hazards
    Ice, Snow and Slush
    Do not ride on ice, snow or slush. Even
    with VSS, there will not be enough
    traction to maintain control on these
    slippery surfaces. The Spyder roadster
    is more likely than a car to spin out
    of control in slippery surfaces."

It is still an individuals choice but you have BRP's "official" opinion on the subject.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-30-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It's a choice...

I'm sure you could do it and fine what you need to do it. your choice but I, for one, would not do it....well maybe if I were rich, stupid and young...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Before the issue gets pushed a bit to far, here is a direct paste from the owners/operators manual.

"Road Conditions and
    Hazards
    Ice, Snow and Slush
    Do not ride on ice, snow or slush. Even
    with VSS, there will not be enough
    traction to maintain control on these
    slippery surfaces. The Spyder roadster
    is more likely than a car to spin out
    of control in slippery surfaces."

It is still an individuals choice but you have BRP's "official" opinion on the subject.

They assume stock tires. A good set of spikes could make all the difference. Besides, the manual is half warnings based on lawyer input!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    You got to love the Aussies. Not afraid to try nearly anything.

By the way, I have ridden my two wheeler in worse than that!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

I like to ryde standing on my head with a 45 apc in each hand, just shootin away.

Then I flip over,facing backwards & give er all she's got in 3rd gear---then hit the brakes for a reverse bat turn.

Thats just getting out of the driveway---in the snow---with the correct tyres.

Sorry,Margaritas do this to me

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The video from Australia seems to be a pretty good reason to NOT try it...
    After all: they turned around...

The fact is; you can even hook a thoroughbred race horse up to a plow, and he might even pull it...
    But there's a BIG difference between doing something, and digging it!
    That snow was not even all that deep; around here, nobody would slow down in conditions like that.
    Those folks were all trudging along in first gear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The video from Australia seems to be a pretty good reason to NOT try it...
    After all: they turned around...

The fact is; you can even hook a thoroughbred race horse up to a plow, and he might even pull it...
    But there's a BIG difference between doing something, and digging it!
    That snow was not even all that deep; around here, nobody would slow down in conditions like that.
    Those folks were all trudging along in first gear.
    We get it Bob, you wont ride in the snow (or cold, or rain). Those guys were doing fine, even without studded tires.

If perfect safety and comfort are your goal, stay in your easy chair with your laptop. Some of us like to push the envelope a little and actually experience life, rather than just reading about it.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

As Minnesotan with 50 years riding experience, including motorcycling to college all winter, and riding across frozen lakes....I have nothing left to prove to myself so, yep...for me, the Spyder is in the garage until spring.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    We get it Bob, you wont ride in the snow (or cold, or rain). Those guys were doing fine, even without studded tires.

If perfect safety and comfort are your goal, stay in your easy chair with your laptop. Some of us like to push the envelope a little and actually experience life, rather than just reading about it.
    Who the Hell are you: assuming that I don't ride in the cold or rain?
    You keep pushing for studded tires; even though they're not legal in a lot of places...
    While I DO have an easy chair (Best used for napping...); I don't own a laptop!
    There is no such thing as "Perfect safety"...
    Keep pushing the envelope: I look forward to hearing about it!

Spyder Garage

Default Snow riding

Soft snow not too deep may be okay but with frozen ruts I would be concerned with the lack of clearance.

Spyder Garage

Question snow??

Snow is for SKIING ( well snow mobiling also). The mountain roads just above me are treacherous when snow covered. Usually snow falls afe measured in feet not inches. Could your imagine the "tail of the Dragon" with 6" of snow--- on a ????? Not me. I'll stick with AWD and snow tires to take me to the ski resort.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Who the Hell are you: assuming that I don't ride in the cold or rain?
    You keep pushing for studded tires; even though they're not legal in a lot of places...
    While I DO have an easy chair (Best used for napping...); I don't own a laptop!
    There is no such thing as "Perfect safety"...
    Keep pushing the envelope: I look forward to hearing about it!
    I assumed because you are so quick to dismiss anything that doesn't fit your definition of right. If snow is out of the question, I figured that your level of comfort is relegated to the easy chair. You keep defending the idea that snow riding is not safe or smart, but have never tried it, and are unwilling to allow that others might want to are anything but fools. Studded tires ARE legal in lots of places, so what is your point?

It isn't about "proving" anything to anyone but yourself, or myself. If the concept of snow riding offends your sensibilities, try something that appears to not be possible for you, ignore the subject. Others might have an interest in it.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Snow is for SKIING ( well snow mobiling also). The mountain roads just above me are treacherous when snow covered. Usually snow falls afe measured in feet not inches. Could your imagine the "tail of the Dragon" with 6" of snow--- on a ????? Not me. I'll stick with AWD and snow tires to take me to the ski resort.

Kaos
    There is a level at which I would not even drive a car, but obviously I am not talking about 6" of snow, the bike would shovel until it got stuck, just like a car.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    I assumed because you are so quick to dismiss anything that doesn't fit your definition of right. If snow is out of the question, I figured that your level of comfort is relegated to the easy chair. You keep defending the idea that snow riding is not safe or smart, but have never tried it, and are unwilling to allow that others might want to are anything but fools. Studded tires ARE legal in lots of places, so what is your point?

It isn't about "proving" anything to anyone but yourself, or myself. If the concept of snow riding offends your sensibilities, try something that appears to not be possible for you, ignore the subject. Others might have an interest in it.
    Once again: how do you know that I haven't tried it?
    What makes you think that I'm not speaking from personal experience?
    Have you tried it yet?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-30-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

I live in upstate SC. I got my 2014 RTL on Christmas eve 2014. Those first few weeks I was so anxious to ride it up in the mountains...and did...in the snow (OEM tires). Cars had worn the usual double tracks through the snow...you know where you have two tracks with little to no snow and you keep your tires in those two "ruts" !?!
    Well that works ok for Spyder front tires (sorta kinda)...but the rear tire spins out in the middle where the snow and ice is still there. I got back from that ride ok but during that ride, several times took a deep breath and said a prayer. I would never reccomend to a Spyder rider to risk that. It's just not worth the risk.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Sorry, could't figure how to get the pic right side up :-) But then again, maybe that's a warning for how you end up driving in the snow Lol!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1610cfacb60a704f25ec4b1b38b00f4f.jpg

I'll bet that you feel better; without all of that blood rushing into your head.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-30-2016 at 11:28 AM.