Spyder Garage

Default Glo-Rider wheel lights

Has anyone had problems with battery leakage leading to a fried circuit board in there Glo-Rider wheel lights ??
    I got them last year, i hardly ride at night when i do i have to put new battery's in because the ones in put in a month before and used for about 1 hour are dead. i went to remove the circuit boards for the winter and found the coating peeled because the Duracell battery leaked, i put new battery in and up in smoke went the board. Glo-Rider want 39 dollars to replace
    2013 sts , Pure Magnesium

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have had sort of the same issues...I seldom keep the battery storied inside. No leakage but the batteries don't last..

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I have the same leaking issues. I took the batteries out and just keep the Glo Rider in place to fill the hole in the wheel hub.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've always liked his lights...

04-15-2013 006.jpg

...But they do chew up batteries...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We actually had one of the internal screws come loose and fry the circuit boards. They do eat batteries to the point that they only lasted about two weeks. They are really cool looking but just a pain to maintain! Would love a product that had better battery life!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He has been working on a system that doesn't use batteries...
    If he can just get an internal generator down to the right size... Fingers Crossed.gif

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oh Yea

Now that would be cool!
    IMG_0595.jpg
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I have the same leaking issues. I took the batteries out and just keep the Glo Rider in place to fill the hole in the wheel hub.

Me too.

Spyder Garage

This was the worst expensive investment! It do look Kool when it did work but batteries don't last at all even when "off"... Don't waste your $.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you plan to buy them and also plan to have your Spyder laser aligned get the alignment done first. We have to uninstall the Glo Riders and it takes a long time and will cost you extra. Most of the ones we have removed for alignment were not working for whatever reason and we were asked to not reinstall many of them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I had the originals and then replaced them with the remote control set. Even the lithium batteries don't last long. I was at an event in WV and went to replace the batteries. Seems that the 'O' ring didn't do it's job sealing out moisture. Both circuit boards were corroded. I didn't bother to put in new batteries.

I did sponsor them when they tried to crowd fund the ones that use the internal generator. That failed to get enough funds.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I did sponsor them when they tried to crowd fund the ones that use the internal generator. That failed to get enough funds.
    That's too bad... I hope that this project works it's way back onto the front burner, and becomes a reality.

Spyder Garage

Default Glo Ryder is ON all the time

Typically the battery on ours last about a month. I tried finding the internal generator ones, but Glo Ryder said that they didn't get enough crowd funding, so they scrapped it. (I have a personal problem with the public paying for their R&D or retooling. This is part of being in business.). They obviously have the technology to make it work, they just don't want to financially risk putting a new product out. Sure glad Apple doesn't have this philosophy. Anyway, I called GR and they said that the Glo Ryders are ON all the time (eating batteries) so they can sense signals from the remote. Which makes sense. They were nice about it. But how hard would it be to put a manual Power Off switch to save a ton of battery expense?

On a more positive note, the new ones have screw on caps, so it makes getting to the batteries to replace them, much faster. To replace batteries, I schedule about 20-30 minutes for each wheel now. I HATE THOSE LITTLE SCREWS!

Bottom line: I like the effect, but it is not substantial enough to justify the high cost of buying them. I may not purchase new ones when these die.

SUGGESTIONS: Either increase the lighting effect, lower the price, make it cheaper on batteries (or go internal generators), give previous owners a HUGE discount, or all of the above.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

I don't know the size of Glow Rider, but I doubt they have the resources that Apple has. Small businesses use a variety of ways to fund development. Crowd funding is no different than a stock offering in many ways. It allows a small company to develop something that large companies have little interest in, but lots of small companies are aiming to help a pretty small population of buyers. This is where crowd funding comes in handy.

As for the issues, I know little about that since I don't have a remote for my Glow Riders, I can't even try them.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    (I have a personal problem with the public paying for their R&D or retooling. This is part of being in business.).

On a more positive note, the new ones have screw on caps, so it makes getting to the batteries to replace them, much faster. To replace batteries, I schedule about 20-30 minutes for each wheel now. I HATE THOSE LITTLE SCREWS!

Bottom line: I like the effect, but it is not substantial enough to justify the high cost of buying them. I may not purchase new ones when these die.

SUGGESTIONS: Either increase the lighting effect, lower the price, make it cheaper on batteries (or go internal generators), give previous owners a HUGE discount, or all of the above.
    As far as your first comment about the public paying, I use to feel the same way. But, then I went in on one from an offering from Indiegogo, and I decided raising money like that wasn't bad. This is what I am talking about:

https://www.indiegogo.com/#/picks_for_you

As for the GR lights, I purchased mine sort of early on, and found it eating too many batteries, and like someone else, I pulled the batteries and left the casing. So, that was $200 wasted, and I will never buy them again, whether they have an internal generator or not, unless they offer a big discount to previous buyers like you said, which won't happen.

Spyder Garage

We have the same issues with them. I agree with the waste of money and the upkeep in replacing batteries all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!