Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Noob overthinking it' I'm sure

Well one bike sold now on to the next!

have always liked the spyders, and with my "fake knee" and impending knee replacement, replacement coming up I'm thinking maybe more than "liking a spider" is in the mix..
    Have poked around a bit here and have this to ask.

New or used? 30years on 2 wheels = 0 on three what if it ends up not being my thing and have trouble adapting to 3. I've yet to find that keeper bike usually 2-3 yrs max on a bike as they always seem to be missing something. Getting out of a used bike is not always easy and net a financial beating. And spyders draw a certain market of buyer.
    Im intrigued by the F3T option as what I've read the 1330 motor is a plus, but not something I should consider a deal breaker.
    Wants:
    tunes
    storage for some weekend trips
    stability for the bum knee (weight of 2 wheeler is concern especially with no reverse)
    wind protection for road trips
    reliability (I'm a do my own stuff within reason wrencher)

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Lot's of options for sure. Some tire kicking is recommended to see what you like or don't. I will stick my neck out and say if you like bikes, you are also going to like 's. I never met a bike I did not like. I did like some better than others though.

Been riding motorcycles since 1965 and since 2008. At first for the fun factor, now because I cannot do two wheels any more.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default reply

[QUOTE=27tjnj;1204152]Well one bike sold now on to the next!

have always liked the spyders, and with my "fake knee" and impending knee replacement, replacement coming up I'm thinking maybe more than "liking a spider" is in the mix..

New or used? 30years on 2 wheels = 0 on three what if it ends up not being my thing and have trouble adapting to 3. I've yet to find that keeper bike usually 2-3 yrs max on a bike as they always seem to be missing something. Getting out of a used bike is not always easy and net a financial beating. And spyders draw a certain market of buyer.
    Im intrigued by the F3T option as what I've read the 1330 motor is a plus, but not something I should consider a deal breaker.
    Wants:

tunes F3T does not come standard with a radio and speakers, it is an option.
    storage for some weekend trips Has enough storage for a weekend trip if you don't have a lot of bulky stuff
    stability for the bum knee (weight of 2 wheeler is concern especially with no reverse) You won't find anything more stable than the Spyder.
    wind protection for road trips With a after market Windshield and proper clothes you are good to go
    reliability (I'm a do my own stuff within reason wrencher) I have over 80,000 miles on my spyders and never stranded on the road.

Enjoy life, Ride

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Re

Go test drive and if there is not a smile on your face when you come back, keep lookin.
    we love the F3L and will keep it as long as I can. Pure fun

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 27tjnj View Post

Wants:
    tunes
    stability for the bum knee (weight of 2 wheeler is concern especially with no reverse)

Thanks
    A Spyder can address all the above concerns, but like anything, you get what you pay for, so you need to determine your budget up front. You also need to determine how much of your riding will be solo.

Yes, you probably will have trouble adapting at first as it is a completely different experience from two wheels.....nearly all of us found that. After 500 hundred miles or so it all just seems to gel though. I have busted knees from basketball, and moving to three wheels is the best move I ever made. I am really enjoying riding again.

There are so many Spyder options that your best bet is to get down to your dealer and find the model that is the most pleasing to the eye, as well as to your bum and knee, and work out your budget. Then come back here and ask every question you can think of......you can be pretty sure it will have been asked before . The forum members here are a very helpful lot.

My basic thoughts on the models are - (and there will be many others that differ, but it should all help you make an initial call)

The 1330 is a great touring engine, but has only been around for a few years....that's where the first price consideration kicks in. (That's not to say that there is anything wrong with the 990 engine.....it's just a higher revver)

The RT is generally accepted as a better 2 up touring option due to its many touring features.

The F3 can nearly match it, but only from 2016 on with the Limited models. (e.g. The 2016 Limited includes hard bags, while the 2017 F3 limited includes bags and a trunk). The RT is more your Goldwing, while the F3 Limited is more your Roadglide (feet forward) and the F3 more your Road King. (Not great analogies, but you get my drift). The F3 has the plus of serious adjustability for leg and arm length, but there are riders up to 6'9" riding RTs.

So, get down to your nearest dealer (Hope you don't live in Hawaii.....although there is at least ONE owner there! )......Good luck
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Wants:
    tunes

Thanks
    I tried the Spyder route a few years back and sold it after 6 months. Now back on a Spyder. I had both knees replaced and true probably could have continued on 2 wheels but chose not too. Got rid of my Goldwing and bought a 08 GS with low mileage on it. I had kept a small Suzuki M50 and fooled around and dropped it in the shop. Physically I could have picked it up, but my mind wouldn't let me. So I sold it. Now only have the Spyder and my wife has one too. The more I ride it the better I like it. I do not regret going to 3 wheels and with all the fun I had on 2 wheels now to create the memories and fun on 3 wheels. Really do love riding the Spyder. My cousin has a F3S and it is really set up nice. Maybe in a few years I will own a F3, but until plenty of smiles on my GS Spyder.
    David

Spyder Garage

I had the same decision in mid summer. I had about 40 years on 2 wheels, multiple years of football injuries, looking at both knees being re done this year ( if our wonderful Health care allows it- that's a whole other issue) and wasn't sure I was feeling as comfy on 2 wheels as I thought I should be. So, after reading up for a few months I took the plunge without ever sitting on the F 3T or even riding it. I certainly don't regret it, just went for about 150 miles this morning. The storage is great for 2-4 days of traveling light. The ride is great, the acceleration is more than I need at my age, the handling is precise and reminds me of a go cart. The styling and design are amazing, couldn't be happier. I got a great deal on the 2016 F3T and received a great deal on my trade.

Take the plunge, if you don't like it after a few months you can sell it, life is to short, just do it.

Spyder Garage

Wants:
    tunes

Thanks
    I thought video would be good for you. I really like this video, and it may help you on your decision.

Spyder Garage

Been on 2 wheels for 46 years.
    Switching to Spyder has proven to be awesome.
    But--- 1st 1500 miles I was wondering if I would ever be %100 relaxed & at home on it.
    Then one sweet day it kicked in!
    Never going back.
    Get the 1300 engine.
    RT is my deal.
    But I would try some of the new stuff if I could.
    But-- rt se6 is a VERY NICE machine

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Dlby has some very smart words for you. If you've been on two wheels for a long time you will have to get accustomed to the different way you have to ride a Spyder. It is not hard, just different and it takes some mileage to get used to it. Test ride as much as you can, relax and enjoy the fun. Good luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I used to ride a suzuki Boulevard, but after a trip to sturgis from RI, I was so packed on the bike that it was hazardous to my health. Decided if I was going to enjoy my adventures more, needed something safer. Bought a Spyder. The Spyder took a little getting used to. 2 days after I bought it I went to NC from RI. I soon learned the feel of steering, push don't pull. I have a bad back, but it never bothers me riding this great bike. It's safe, twice I would have bought the farm (so to speak) but that bike truely stopped on a dime. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gsebring View Post
    Go test drive and if there is not a smile on your face when you come back, keep lookin.
    we love the F3L and will keep it as long as I can. Pure fun
    Not necessarily true. After my first test ride on a 2014 RT Limited, I didn't think it would work. I have ridden 2-wheelers since 1957, but mobility problems from MS was making that unworkable. I didn't want to stop riding so I decided to get the RT anyway, figuring I would get used to it. After a couple of weeks, I thought I had made a terrible (and expensive) mistake. It felt very squirrely and unstable. But I kept riding. After 500 miles or so, I realized that I was the problem - not the RT. I was over-reacting to the different feel which caused me to over-control. The Spyder wasn't squirrely, I was. When I relaxed and let the Spyder do what a Spyder does, things settled down rapidly. It took my neurology a little longer to adapt that it does for some people, but once it did, magic happened. I love riding the Spyder - and my wife loves it too. I've had a BMW LT and a BMW K-1600 GTL and she says our RT is more comfortable for her than either of those. I'm very happy with the RT. The additional storage space was very nice on our 800 mile round-trip to Spyderfest a couple of years ago.

So the first test ride can be misleading. If you love it - Great! If you don't - realize that it doesn't mean you can't love it in the future.

Spyder Garage

I agree 100% with the Professor. I read everything I could find, most of it said it will take 500 to 1000 miles to feel comy on the 3 wheel machine. There is no way a dealer will allow that kind of test ride. I felt in my heart that a 5 mile test ride would just be a waist of time so I just took the plunge and purchased it. I now have about 1600 miles, certainly feeling very comfy on it now. Good luck

Spyder Garage

Yep, as others have said, a CanAm Spyder is what you want. I would also add this... Given your short list of what you are looking for in a new bike, give the RT a look, as well as the F3. Not trying to steer you in one direction or another - just saying check them BOTH out with a test ride, if you can.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Same here

After 35 years I was forced to get off two wheels. Missed it desperately so after bout a year I tried a Spyder. A 2011 RSS, first 800 miles I thought I had wasted my money. After 13000 miles on the RSS and now 4000 on a F3S I wish I had switched sooner :-). As others have said by what you're looking for, sounds like either the RT or F3T would be for you. Both great bikes just totally different riding positions. Have fun in your search.

Spyder Garage

One thing I really liked on the F3T was the ability to adjust the handle bars and foot pegs with the 5 different positions. My knees are so bad I have lost a fair amount of flexion and the #5 position is perfect for me.

Spyder Garage

Default Give it time

Many options mentioned here for sure . I decided to go the least money route with a 2008 GS ( that had 4000 Kms on it ) and as a couple Ryders said I initially figured I may have made a $12,000 mistake , especially coming home in heavy traffic in Toronto. It took a few Rydes and some open roads to realize it is not the exact same feel as a 2 wheel bike BUT can be just as much fun with a lot more peace of mind because of the safety and comfort factor. For now the GS does what I need and i don't owe money on it ( bonus) Likely in 2 years I will trade for whatever 3 cylinder Spyder I like after many test Rydes . Find a model with a riding position that suits you and get a few hours in a few different times and most on here would agree you will be hooked