Spyder Garage

Cool The Outer Banks and Beyond

This past Saturday, a group of us from church gathered after a Men's Breakfast, and met up with a bunch of other guys for a ride to the Outer Banks and beyond. We had 10 motorcycles in all, with mine being the only Spyder. The rest were Harley's, except for one little 250cc rice rocket. This was my first "group ride", and I was surprised at the positive interest in the Spyder. The Harley guys were very welcoming, and curious about the tech specs of the Spyder. The weather was fantastic...mid 70's, sunny skies, and very little traffic. We rode to and along the Outer Banks (North Carolina), and down to Manteo for lunch. We then rode on twisty, turning country roads through some beautiful rural areas, and eventually back to Elizabeth City, our starting point. The ride was a bit over 200 miles, and my Spyder was awesome throughout the entire trip. I used 5.2 gallons of gas, which means I got 40 miles per gallon. I was amazed at the mileage, and re-did the math several times to be sure I was right. LOL I'm looking forward to many more such rides, either with a group or by myself. North Carolina is chock full of beautiful spots, and the Spyder is a fantastic way to experience them!

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Hear.....

Sounds like a very nice day ryde. You should snap a picture now and again to help intice others over to that area for rydes... group ryde are fun if they don't get to large and yours was a good size...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That sounds great. We also did a ride down to the NC coast this past saturday. One of the guys actually wanted to ride to the Outer Banks, but it was a little too far from where we are located (The Raleigh area). So we decided to take 421 down to Carolina Beach. There were 5 of us (1- 2014 RT, 2- M109's, 1- 2015 RSS, and my 2012 RSS. Total milage for us was 275 miles. I got only 32 mpg and the other RSS got 33 mpg. I don't think that was too bad considering we were hot dogging it along the way. My 2014 RT also gets anywhere from 38-42 mpg. Maybe we can meet up and get some miles in together sometimes.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting about the ride. Those of us who are parked for a while need all the help we can get.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That has to be one child trip!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Will Take Pics Next Time

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Sounds like a very nice day ryde. You should snap a picture now and again to help intice others over to that area for rydes... group ryde are fun if they don't get to large and yours was a good size...
    You're absolutely right...we should have taken pics. My cell phone camera is "iffy" at best, but someone in our group must have had a better camera. I'll be sure to get someone to take pics next time.

Spyder Garage

Default Blue Ridge Parkway Next Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That sounds great. We also did a ride down to the NC coast this past saturday. One of the guys actually wanted to ride to the Outer Banks, but it was a little too far from where we are located (The Raleigh area). So we decided to take 421 down to Carolina Beach. There were 5 of us (1- 2014 RT, 2- M109's, 1- 2015 RSS, and my 2012 RSS. Total milage for us was 275 miles. I got only 32 mpg and the other RSS got 33 mpg. I don't think that was too bad considering we were hot dogging it along the way. My 2014 RT also gets anywhere from 38-42 mpg. Maybe we can meet up and get some miles in together sometimes.
    That sounds like an awesome ride, too! I'm thinking about riding to Cherokee next summer, and then back up the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've driven it in a car, but not on a Spyder, and it would be one of those "forever" memories.
    My Spyder had just come out of the shop...all tuned up, fresh oil and filters, new belt, etc., which may be why my mileage was so good. I never expected anything above 29-30 mpg!

Once the springtime gets here, we can see about a North Carolina "Rally" or something. Maybe we can pull in Spyders from all over the state! It would be a blast to do a group ride with other Spyders!

Spyder Garage

Default Nope, No Kids on This Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    That has to be one child trip!
    Not even one child...LOL Most of us guys are in our 60's, except the guy riding the little 250cc rice rocket. He was in his 30's. We were a grey brigade for sure.

Spyder Garage

Default Correction

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    Not even one child...LOL Most of us guys are in our 60's, except the guy riding the little 250cc rice rocket. He was in his 30's. We were a grey brigade for sure.
    My post should have Said, One COLD trip. Darn that auto spell correction.

I spent a lot of time on Ocracoke and know what the cold wind is like out there.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    That sounds like an awesome ride, too! I'm thinking about riding to Cherokee next summer, and then back up the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've driven it in a car, but not on a Spyder, and it would be one of those "forever" memories.
    My Spyder had just come out of the shop...all tuned up, fresh oil and filters, new belt, etc., which may be why my mileage was so good. I never expected anything above 29-30 mpg!

Once the springtime gets here, we can see about a North Carolina "Rally" or something. Maybe we can pull in Spyders from all over the state! It would be a blast to do a group ride with other Spyders!
    We have a group here that does a mountain trip every summer, and at least one in the fall. I will be sure to post it here so that may be you can join us.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great run. i have 8 years until i retire to n.c.