Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Front shocks ... worth it?

As some of you know, I installed the Baja Ron swaybar on my 2014 a while back, and to me the improvements were marginal. Perhaps I wasn't observant enough of the "before" to appreciate the "after".

I've noticed that many of you are replacing your front shocks, and others are inserting spacers in the springs to stiffen them up. so:
    • Is this more of the swaybar effect? Flatter cornering?
    • Elka makes shocks that range from $500 to $1700. Where is the price/performance breakpoint?
    • Are Elkas better than the competitors?
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had Elkas on my 2010 RT, and they are a GREAT shock!
    But my 2014 didn't need nearly as much improvement, so I just added Ron's pre-load adjusters.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Little by little....

Unless one is loaded many of these changes can get costly....seats....shocks etc. I added the BajaRon swaybar and found it to be very effective. This may be because of the way I ryde. I then added the relocators for the shocks (RS 2012) and they were equally effective. I finally added the Fox podium shocks (only cause a good deal came my way) and found them to be marginal. Most of these changes are only if you feel you need them and not so much to see if they make a difference. Many only get the swaybar and are happy....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have yet to replace a shock on any . So far my mileage record is 36,500 on the 2010 RTS.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Shocks not the problem

The shocks are not the problem the springs are. I,m a big guy 290lbs. I add ed Ron's sway bar and shock adjusters and it made a big difference. Before buying new shocks put on the adjusters and try it. If you don't like them resell them here somebody will buy them. I think the shock adjusters made the biggest difference. Why is it all the other spyders have adjustable shocks except the rt. The only thing I have left to do to my front is a laser alignment and better front tires. I had also tried a set of Doc's Nuts they worked OK but are not as adjustable as Ron's but are cheaper.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new bikes have front suspensions that don't like ride-height adjustments. It can lead to unwanted alignment changes!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I had Elkas on my 2010 RT, and they are a GREAT shock!
    But my 2014 didn't need nearly as much improvement, so I just added Ron's pre-load adjusters.
    Me too on my 2015 and they worked great.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

So, if I put the shock adjusters on, does that mean I have to get it laser aligned again ?
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHOCKS / SPRINGS VS SWAY BAR

The sway bar does something different than the shock/spring thing. As someone said if your are at or near the Max weight for the Spyder the stock Springs are not up to the job. The OEM shocks are probably OK..... A firmer Spring is the best option.... If you get something that compresses the OEM spring or eliminates one or more coils, it will feel stiffer ( and harsher ) and you will also LOSE Spring travel...... and this is what soaks up the bumps .... That's why on a Harley Hard Tail they added springs to the SEAT ( like on a bicycle )........M
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-17-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    As some of you know, I installed the Baja Ron swaybar on my 2014 a while back, and to me the improvements were marginal. Perhaps I wasn't observant enough of the "before" to appreciate the "after".

I've noticed that many of you are replacing your front shocks, and others are inserting spacers in the springs to stiffen them up. so:
    • Elka makes shocks that range from $500 to $1700. Where is the price/performance breakpoint?
    Says you are located in the United States, so stop by my house tomorrow and you can take her up in the twisties with my "Works performance shocks" $850 approx and realize their is no effort on your part for navigating the terrain.

My 2010 Rts
    has the stock sway bar. Before the shock up grade I was worm out on a canyon cruise, and just chocked it up to having a touring bike vs a GS/RS. After the shock up grade I could not only keep up with them I was not fatigued at all. Even experienced a better ride after I had the bike aligned by Squaredaway

Some people have mentioned weight, also tire pressure is relevant as well . my front is set between 15-16 ½ as well

my weight is approx 225lbs

So your last question is are Elkas better than the competitors?, and my response is , they are an improvement but not better than what I put on.

The reasons are my WPS (works performance shocks) are made the same way BRPS are,except mine have a separate oil tube(what ever it's called), )that is major important)( experts will tell you here) second they are in the same position as the stock shocks where as the Elkas are set upside down. Why does this matter, cuz road dirt gets on the shaft. Most people don't have the shields installed where mine don't need them.

Also Also the Elkas raise your bike up where the headlights will be out of adjustment and cars will flash you all the time My WPS don't change your bikes height from stock.

Spyder Garage

I didn't realize that WORKS made shocks for the Spyder. Good to know. Are they ATV shocks?
    I've used their shocks on previous bikes and liked them.
    Last edited by HayRog; 11-18-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I didn't realize that WORKS made shocks for the Spyder. Good to know. Are they ATV shocks?
    They were designed specific for the RT, took a tour of the factory in Chatsworth CA. Met the engineers who designed the shocks. Normally takes approx 2-3 weeks to make. They have to have all the various components in stock. Told them I was going to Spyderfest in 2011, and they put together a pair for me in 2 days.

Also found out they designed and made shocks for the Disneyland monorail, space shuttle and something else I forgot the name of. So they know their shocks.

These 2 threads convinced me http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...cks-on-Order-!

and this one with pictureshttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...cks-Installed!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post

I replaced my stock shocks on my 2015 RT limited after about 2500 miles. Bought the Fox shocks from BRP's website. After a few weeks I replaced the antisway bar. They both had a big effect on the over all handling, but I felt the biggest improvement with the stiffer shocks and better rebound.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Unless things have changed, they don't produce shocks for the newer models. I called them before ordering my Elka's and asked about it. They told me they have no plans to produce anything for the newer model Spyders at this time because of low sales volume. They will continue to support the older models only.

For me, I bought a Baja Ron bar for my 2014 RT and thought the improvement was marginal at best and most likely a waste of money. (I can't say the same for the older Spyders for which the bar made a huge difference.) However, the Elka upgrade was huge. It's not all about spring rates. It's about dampening and rebound rates as well. Springs play a role, but only part of it. The internal valving is vastly different and improved in the Elka design.

I called PitBull and asked their technical opinions about the differences between the Elka and the Fox, which are currently the only two options. I was told hands down the Elka was better and well worth the money. Upon their recommendation and my research I ordered the Elka's and haven't regretted it.

Honestly, if you're a straight line highway type, the factory stuff is good enough. However, when the road gets twisty, that's when you'll notice the difference.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    So, if I put the shock adjusters on, does that mean I have to get it laser aligned again ?
    It actually depends on how much you "twist things up"...
    I only added 1/4" to my ride height, and it made so little difference, that it wouldn't have been worth it to re-align the front end.
    (I wanted just a little bit of height in order to compensate for the Bumpshid...)