Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New helmets and comm units

It's prolly time for new helmets this spring. We currently have Nolan N43 Trilogy and wired J & M headsets. The Nolans are really comfortable and fit really well. The wired headsets work okay but are kinda a PIA especially when two up because my wife is unable to plug in due to the location of the receptacle. So may be getting Bluetooth comm units, still unsure about the leaning curve.
    Anyway I'm considering three helmets:
    1 - Nolan N44 with their N-Com. We like the fit of our current Nolans and could prolly transfer the wired headsets if we decided to go that way.
    2 - Schuberth M1 with their SRC comm units. These are a new model and would need to try them on for fit. They come with speakers and mics preinstalled but I don't believe there is a wired headset option on these.
    3 - Shoei J Cruise with either Sena or Cardo comm units. I'm not sure how I'd deal with the wired headsets. Also these helmets have the old style D-ring straps. I do have some experience with A Sena 10C that I started using this spring.
    After all that, I guess my question is: Does anyone have experience with the N-Comm or the SRC units and what are pros and cons of them?
    Thanks in advance for you input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SENA

SENA makes very nice units that fit
    your helmets and all others.
    give me a call 209-887-3283
    Ride safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by pwilbarger View Post
    It's prolly time for new helmets this spring. We currently have Nolan N43 Trilogy and wired J & M headsets. The Nolans are really comfortable and fit really well. The wired headsets work okay but are kinda a PIA especially when two up because my wife is unable to plug in due to the location of the receptacle. So may be getting Bluetooth comm units, still unsure about the leaning curve.
    1 - Nolan N44 with their N-Com. We like the fit of our current Nolans and could prolly transfer the wired headsets if we decided to go that way.
    2 - Schuberth M1 with their SRC comm units. These are a new model and would need to try them on for fit. They come with speakers and mics preinstalled but I don't believe there is a wired headset option on these.
    3 - Shoei J Cruise with either Sena or Cardo comm units. I'm not sure how I'd deal with the wired headsets. Also these helmets have the old style D-ring straps. I do have some experience with A Sena 10C that I started using this spring.
    After all that, I guess my question is: Does anyone have experience with the N-Comm or the SRC units and what are pros and cons of them?

Spyder Garage

Default Schuberth and Shoei

I have the Schuberth M1 with the SRC in XXL. I believe it is intermediate oval (web bike world has the shape). It fits me about the same as the XXL Shoei J Cruise.These 2 are the only helmets I will wear for comfort and features.

The SRC is very good for me. I don't use all the features, but the volume up and down and the power buttons are easily accessed with gloves but quite discreet. Not having a boom is a bonus in my opinion, and the microphone works well on phone calls. Unfortunately, I have not used it bluetoothed to a passenger, so I can't comment on that. I have my iPhone bluetoothed to my Garmin and my Garmin to my SRC and all works fine(after a few failed setup attempts).

Do make sure you try an M1 on for a while, though. It has a bit of a ridge above the eye port that can dig into (not badly) your forehead. Apparently it's an issue mostly with the 2XL using an XL helmet with thinner padding. The XL doesn't have the same problem. I actually shaved a bit out of the 2XL internal shell at the forehead at it is great now. The M1 has the quick release ratchet (I bought it from Revzilla)

I also used a J-Cruise with Sena SMH10 bluetoothed to my passenger, and it worked well.

Apologies for the waffle, but I kept thinking of extra items....hopes this helps a little.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I would stick with Nolan. IMHO they make the best helmets for the money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teacherbob View Post
    I'm leaning that way. N-Com has fm radio while SRC does not. Plus more options for comm systems. I'm going to investigate more at the IMS in Cleveland in January. Tnx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Call

Call Motorcycle Dave. The Sena units are outstanding and he has the best Price!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Had a Nolan once. Never again. They do not stand behind behind their warranty. It's worthless. JMHO Wife and I bought new helmets this spring. Ours were 5 year old Shoie Neotec's. Stopped at the dealer and fell in love with a Kabuto modular. Wife went for an HJC RPHA MAX modular. We love them. Our SENA units switched over. Lots of helmets to pick from. My advice, try them on. Or find a dealer that will not charge a restocking fee. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Agree with your take on Nolan helmets. I have six assorted and use the SENA SMH 10 with them. The SENA unit will NOT attach to my Nolan N44. The lip on the Nolan is to wide. If you are going to use 44's then the N-com unit is probably a consideration. I tried the wired version and did not like it. The wireless unit was a bit high priced for me at the time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default re-

Check out BILT helmet

Spyder Garage

We have (the boss and I ) both have the Nolan N44 with the removable faceshield and the N5 comm system.

First the helmet - We love them, the fit of this helmet was what sold us. I was trying on XXL in other helmets, and the XL is perfect for me in the Nolan. We wanted modular, but chose these because of the fit. I am glad we did. I like on hot days being able to take the shield and face guard off, and running with the visor. When it started getting cool, went back to the shield and faceguard, put in the anti fog thing, and it works perfect. I can lower my windshield on the RT just a little and get air in the top of the helmet that I actually can feel. It doesn't have the d-rings, it has the clip style strap, but we bought lidlox with the metal tbar to lock them with. The helmet is made for their comm system, so it fits perfectly into the helmet. I mean perfect, you can not feel its in there. The unit on the outside is clipped in not stuck on, and is very low profile, you hardly notice it.

N-COMM system - Like I said it fits perfectly in the Nolan helmet. Very clear people don't even know I'm running 60 MPH talking to them, the intercom works well, and they even have an app you can download that has different screens. It has saved contacts for 1 touch dialing, and also a keypad that mimics the one on the helmet. The only issue I have had with it, is the Bluetooth audio player. It skips. My phone connects and streams Bluetooth to many different units. Truck, boat, car, headset, speakers, etc, but it doesn't work well on this unit.

Overall I am very pleased with both. If you don't care about streaming music to you helmet then everything is an A++, if you have to have that option, then I may look at another unit.

As always, just my opinion......
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    We have (the boss and I ) both have the Nolan N44 with the removable faceshield and the N5 comm system.

First the helmet - We love them, the fit of this helmet was what sold us. I was trying on XXL in other helmets, and the XL is perfect for me in the Nolan. We wanted modular, but chose these because of the fit. I am glad we did. I like on hot days being able to take the shield and face guard off, and running with the visor. When it started getting cool, went back to the shield and faceguard, put in the anti fog thing, and it works perfect. I can lower my windshield on the RT just a little and get air in the top of the helmet that I actually can feel. It doesn't have the d-rings, it has the clip style strap, but we bought lidlox with the metal tbar to lock them with. The helmet is made for their comm system, so it fits perfectly into the helmet. I mean perfect, you can not feel its in there. The unit on the outside is clipped in not stuck on, and is very low profile, you hardly notice it.

N-COMM system - Like I said it fits perfectly in the Nolan helmet. Very clear people don't even know I'm running 60 MPH talking to them, the intercom works well, and they even have an app you can download that has different screens. It has saved contacts for 1 touch dialing, and also a keypad that mimics the one on the helmet. The only issue I have had with it, is the Bluetooth audio player. It skips. My phone connects and streams Bluetooth to many different units. Truck, boat, car, headset, speakers, etc, but it doesn't work well on this unit.

Overall I am very pleased with both. If you don't care about streaming music to you helmet then everything is an A++, if you have to have that option, then I may look at another unit.

As always, just my opinion......
    90% of the time I do stream music from my iPhone or iPod. And at times listen to NASCAR via the Sirrius/XM app on my phone.

SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have and android, and mine at least does not do this well, I can't find anything online to fix it.
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've used Nolan helmets and the N-Com system for years. I love the fit of their helmets and the convenience and clarity of the BT capabilities, inc. phone, FM, helmet to helmet, GPS.
    I had an N90, currently N43 Trilogy and recently bought an N91, modular. Their quality is super at a very good price point. And, BTW, I've had a couple of warranty related issues. All were handled promptly and fairly by their offices in Aurora, IL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

I recently bought the Nolan N-44 and the B5 comm system which matches it.

Awesome - totally impressed. You can have Btooth on playing tunes, stop for a bite to eat, it will go into sleep mode because you are not moving. When you pick it back up,you can hear the welcome greeting before you can possibly put it on.
    Also the sound is great, it is the only system I have ever seen where the volume is too loud turned all the way up, even on my F3S which has a cat bypass on it. You can also,adjust the equalizer system from a Nolan app on line (haven't gotten that far yet). Phone calls are a breeze. Bluetooth connects the first time every time to my phone before I can minimize the app.
    It is more than I hoped it would be. The BEST I have ever owned.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Agree with your take on Nolan helmets. I have six assorted and use the SENA SMH 10 with them. The SENA unit will NOT attach to my Nolan N44. The lip on the Nolan is to wide. If you are going to use 44's then the N-com unit is probably a consideration. I tried the wired version and did not like it. The wireless unit was a bit high priced for me at the time.

You our can find the N44 online for around $250. My local Spyder dealer has a price tag of $406 on the same helmet.

I believe I got mine from Revzilla but have seen them on Amazon as well.

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

I bought this comm cord for my passenger because of the pia connection you mentioned. This adds some length and also has a handy volume control and PTT button if you have a cb. works great!

comm cord.jpg
    2015 SE6 SS

Elka Stage 2 front and rear shocks
    Lamonster Web Pegs
    General Altimax RT43 Rear Tire
    Lamonster LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Baker Wings
    Bajarons Sway Bar & Links
    Custom Dynamics Fender, Bright Sides and HMT Brake Lt
    Zumo 590
    CB
    Spyder Mudflap
    Lamonster drink holder
    Foam Grips
    Billet Axle Covers
    Stebel Air Horn
    SpyderPops Bumpskid
    SpyderPops belt guard
    SpyderPops Kotte Grills
    TriCLED LED Driving lights
    Magic Mirrors

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a comm system so the Frau and I can converse while riding 2 up.
    I've been eyeballing the U Clear system. Does anyone have a set? How do they perform?
    Are there better options?
    Researching...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the J Cruise with a sena 10U. It's integrated right into the helmet. You remove the liner and it's almost as if it was built right in. No wires. The helmet is VERY comfortable as well.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...9UMxoCK1Dw_wcB
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Well ,my experience with Nolan was less than satisfactory. The drop-down sun visor mechanism on my N43 failed in the 2nd year, and later the forehead padding dropped out of the liner and wouldn't remain in place. It's a $400 helmet! I expected better quality so I replaced it with a Scorpion helmet and attached a Sena 20s. All good so far.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by teacherbob View Post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jake6470 View Post
    Well ,my experience with Nolan was less than satisfactory. The drop-down sun visor mechanism on my N43 failed in the 2nd year, and later the forehead padding dropped out of the liner and wouldn't remain in place. It's a $400 helmet! I expected better quality so I replaced it with a Scorpion helmet and attached a Sena 20s. All good so far.
    Jake
    We've had N43 Trilogy helmets for 5 or 6 years without any problems. The fit and finish is great. It's just time to replace them. Helmets don't last forever.

SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default heads and helmets

I've had a lot of helmets, very few heads are the same shape and size. What feels great on me may be a terrible fit on someone else. The best way is to try them on and if your lucky to find one that feels good maybe you will be very lucky and it will feel good after a few hundred miles. I've had expensive ones and cheaper ones, money is not really the issue, comfort rules. I have ended up with HJC helmets for the past 8 years due to the fit for my head and comfort for the long haul. They work for me, when I buy a helmet this is the helmet I go to. And the best part is they are a very moderately priced helmet. Of course HJC may not be for everyone but they work well for me. Nothing worse than being 1000 miles from home and having a headache from an ill fitting or uncomfortable helmet. Oh, by the way, don't get sucked in to buying a helmet because it has really cool graphics. Been there and done that. I'll ware a polka dotted one as long as it is comfortable.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I've had a lot of helmets, very few heads are the same shape and size. What feels great on me may be a terrible fit on someone else. The best way is to try them on and if your lucky to find one that feels good maybe you will be very lucky and it will feel good after a few hundred miles. I've had expensive ones and cheaper ones, money is not really the issue, comfort rules. I have ended up with HJC helmets for the past 8 years due to the fit for my head and comfort for the long haul. They work for me, when I buy a helmet this is the helmet I go to. And the best part is they are a very moderately priced helmet. Of course HJC may not be for everyone but they work well for me. Nothing worse than being 1000 miles from home and having a headache from an ill fitting or uncomfortable helmet. Oh, by the way, don't get sucked in to buying a helmet because it has really cool graphics. Been there and done that. I'll ware a polka dotted one as long as it is comfortable.
    Agree. I have a HJC IS33 that I like but it fits really tight in my cheek area. I thought it would break in and loosen up but never has. I even bought thinner cheek pads to no avail. I can only wear it about two hours before I get a headache. I have a Sena 10C attached to it and use it only for short day trips.

SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Question Shoei Helmet & Sena Bluetooth

Folks -- I have a new Shoei Modular Helmet --- and a Sena SMH-10 bluetooth ... Friend is installing the bluetooth system onto the Helmet -- Any advice for how to do the microphone with the modular? Greatly appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Add Schuberth C3 Pro with the SRC collar to your search list. We are thrilled with ours. Been wearing Schuberths for years. AND they are quiet!

Enjoy shopping!
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I have a Zox full face helmet with a drop down sun visor, I have the SM10 ( dual Stream Bluetooth stereo transmitter with power cord) and waiting to come in mail is the Sena 10S com. unit. I ordered them from Motorcycle Dave.

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD