Spyder Garage

Default Vibration causes?

Hi,

I have two types of vibration on my wife's 2013 ST-S SE5.

The first is when cold and I start to move slowly, it rattles and rumbles something awful. Wait 30 seconds and it doesn't do it. I suspect it is just the motor is cold blooded. I need to make sure to warm it up more. Is there a recommended time?

The second is at about 5300 RPM and in 5th gear. It is a rumble in the floor boards, but not in the handle bars. Fairly minor and not consistent. I suspect it is the belt vibrating.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    Hi,

The first is when cold and I start to move slowly, it rattles and rumbles something awful. Wait 30 seconds and it doesn't do it. I suspect it is just the motor is cold blooded. I need to make sure to warm it up more. Is there a recommended time?

The second is at about 5300 RPM and in 5th gear. It is a rumble in the floor boards, but not in the handle bars. Fairly minor and not consistent. I suspect it is the belt vibrating.

Are you standing any where near Her when this occurs !!!!.... ........ funny ....M

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    Hi,

Mine does the same and it's been discussed here before. The general consensus was that it's normal for the ST and 998.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Chatter

I have that "clutch chudder" too and that's on an STS SM5, Here's the TSB addressing the issue. Sorry for the fuzzy pic...

clutch_chatter.jpg
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Jim, Have you checked your oil level? The engine could vibrate until the oil is circulating upon start up. Remember it is a dry sump engine. The only time I notice vibration from the belt is above 95 mph. I haven't noticed the vibration at startup, but I am not usually on the Spyder when I start it. I start it, and then put my gear on and then get on board.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    Jim, Have you checked your oil level? The engine could vibrate until the oil is circulating upon start up. Remember it is a dry sump engine. The only time I notice vibration from the belt is above 95 mph. I haven't noticed the vibration at startup, but I am not usually on the Spyder when I start it. I start it, and then put my gear on and then get on board.
    I have, and if anything it is overfull.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration causes

Jim, like you I'm a new ST owner, but let me pass this onto you.

I noticed the vibration at around the same RPM level, I checked the spocket alignments and belt tracking everything was first cabin, the next stop was to check the belt tension, Bingo, belt tension was set to the low side. Using the "Kriket" belt tension device from one of the belt suppliers. The tension was set to 205 lbs, vibration greatly reduced. Just my findings your may be different.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aracknoid View Post
    Jim, like you I'm a new ST owner, but let me pass this onto you.

I noticed the vibration at around the same RPM level, I checked the spocket alignments and belt tracking everything was first cabin, the next stop was to check the belt tension, Bingo, belt tension was set to the low side. Using the "Kriket" belt tension device from one of the belt suppliers. The tension was set to 205 lbs, vibration greatly reduced. Just my findings your may be different.

Good Luck
    Great info. I guess I will order me a tension tool.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)