Spyder Garage

Default Private sale - test ride?

When selling your Spyder to a private individual, what's the protocol for letting them do a test ride? Yes or no?
    Thanks.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://youtu.be/SWC6PWSJ50s

This probably happens less often than your worst fears might allow you to think...

But it sure is a possibility!
    You've GOT to read your situation.
    Perhaps taking the prospective buyer for a ride, might suffice.
    Or letting them play within a confined area in a VERY large and empty parking lot.
    Gauge their knowledge of the bike, and them take the time to make sure that they know how all of the controls operate...
    Take NOTHING for granted!

And good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Typically I do not like anyone riding my bike. But if I have something for sale, I work it so that I can hold the funds while they go on a test ride. At the least, I will hold their keys while they test ride, and let them know if it is damaged, they have bought it.
    I just sold my M109 2 weeks ago and tried to get the guy to ride it, and he would not. I knew I was selling him a great bike, but I wanted him to experience it for himself. After the title and money changed hands, he took it for a ride down to where I was paying to have a new front tire put on for him. When we got there he was so excited about how well the bike handled.
    The next day I purchased my 2012 RSS. I gave the guy a certified check to hold while I took the spyder for a test ride (the check was made out to me). After the test ride, I followed him to the bank, I signed the check and we finished the purchase.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

+1 On reading the situation. However, if you do decide to let someone ride it, I would verify that he/she has a motorcycle endorsement/license...and insurance ! CYA if you know what I mean !
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

All good advice above. When I have sold a motorcycle I have in the past taken the prospective buyer for a ride on it.

I can see where one might allow another rider to test the if keys, a deposit, etc. are being held by the seller. I would make sure that the person riding solo is somewhat familiar with riding a spyder. Prior two wheel experience is up to discussion. When first came out, a news reporter crashed the test version they were riding due to inexperience.

And then...one has to be wary of scammers. A very common situation these days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have given them a 1 or 2 hour money back no questions asked as long as undamaged guarantee.sometimes they are ok with that some times not. I have also taken a deposit. I always look at their drivers license for an M/C endorsement.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't buy a motorcycle or car without test driving it. Read the person, make sure they have a MC license and make sure you have ample insurance.
    I'll pretty much let anyone qualified take my Spyder for a spin.
    That being said, I decided to trade my 2012 RT in rather than selling it outright due to I didn't want to deal with any BS after the sale should they have something go wrong.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default When they show up......

Copy their drivers lic number or better yet take a picture of it
    and get the keys to their car, truck or bike or whatever they are in
    or on when they get to you .....
    You should be OK with that.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    When selling your Spyder to a private individual, what's the protocol for letting them do a test ride? Yes or no?
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Hi David,

Re: Private sale - test ride?

I was looking for a Spyder, found one for sale in southern California ( I live in Oregon ), contacted the owner via phone & email.

I then was in the area & went over to look at it. We discussed it ( I had a M/C endorsement and M/C experience ), he said, 'Hop on the back,' and off we went. After a few miles, we switched places and I rode it back to his place.

I bought the Spyder; and am glad that I did.

Worked for me; IMO no two sales are exactly the same.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I have bought and sold dozens of bikes, I have owned 44. I would never buy a bike I couldn't test ride first. Not once has anyone asked for the money up front, and only twice to see/hold my license for the test ride. I have asked to hold the DL twice on slightly iffy guys, and turned down a test ride three times on obvious tire kickers. Maybe I have been lucky and have a trustworthy face?
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Re Sale

NO - NO _ and NO.. Only exception, is if you have the mone, in hand - to hold. NO exceptions

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    NO - NO _ and NO.. Only exception, is if you have the mone, in hand - to hold. NO exceptions
    Absolutely NOT- Follow me thru the twisties for a hour or hop on the back for a short ride BUT No Ride By yourself till he title is signed over and Your $$$ is in My bank in cash- No Checks. Deal done at BANK!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default not worried

Hold keys to there vehicle, take pic of drivers license ....make sure MC endorsement. Ive got insurance, they crash they pay deductible.

Spyder Garage

Yall are WAY more trustworthy than me.
    put the money on the table and then you can take it for a ride.
    Sorry,no test pilots.
    2015 F3S
    2022 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2022 Kawaski KLX300

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i would want to hold the money before they drive away

Spyder Garage

Default Cash in hand

Had a Ninja up for sale. Young people drove 3 hours to my place. they wanted to test drive it. I needed money in my hands. The young lady was buying it but she brought two young men with her. One of the young men took the bike on a test ride. Well he was gone a little to long and I turned to the young lady and said, he has laid it down somewhere. Sure enough he brought it back with the entire left side damaged and he was hurting. His first words to her were..you now have a Ninja. Always before a test ride..money in hand .
    2016 F3T SE Pearl White
    Purple powder coated wheels
    Performance sway bar
    LED headlights and fog lights
    Short Reach handlebars
    2010 RT A/C SE traded in

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ElgynSpyder View Post
    Had a Ninja up for sale. Young people drove 3 hours to my place. they wanted to test drive it. I needed money in my hands. The young lady was buying it but she brought two young men with her. One of the young men took the bike on a test ride. Well he was gone a little to long and I turned to the young lady and said, he has laid it down somewhere. Sure enough he brought it back with the entire left side damaged and he was hurting. His first words to her were..you now have a Ninja. Always before a test ride..money in hand .
    Looks like you dodged a bullet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The one time I let someone take the bike I was selling for a test ride on his own was when I was moving to NYC from Austin, TX & needed to get rid of it quickly. Still, I had him put CASH in my hand, kept his bike and the key, had him show me proof of his insurance. He came back an hour later -he did ask me about that beforehand - and said "keep the cash, I'll pick it up tomorrow". So, I washed it that afternoon, put it in the shed, said goodbye, & early next morning singed over the title & POOF! Gone. Still, I think that I was lucky to have dealt with an honest person on a handshake that in those days actually meant something.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic