Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change, how often? thank you

14225420_10208406908025231_7185244505366151889_n.jpg
    good morning everybody, i bought 3 month ago a spyder rs se5. i just ad a problem with transmission. trying to change speed and could not go after the 3rd. i took it to the dealer and he told me that he was low in oil. he fix and everything is perfect now. he told me that i need to change oil every 3000 miles, does this sound normal? i m a beginner in can am
    also last thing, i understand now that i need to put regular break fluid oil (under the seat), but i did not know about the oil for the motor that i need to ad it regularly to.
    thank you for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CarrilloJean; 11-14-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default sound when back up (squeezing sound)

14225420_10208406908025231_7185244505366151889_n.jpgHi i also have only in the morning when i back up my spyder a squeezing sound. anyone have any ideas of what can i do to fix it.
    thank you so much
    Last edited by CarrilloJean; 11-14-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CarrilloJean View Post
    14225420_10208406908025231_7185244505366151889_n.jpg
    good morning everybody, i bought 3 month ago a spyder rs se5. i just ad a problem with transmission. trying to change speed and could not go after the 3rd. i took it to the dealer and he told me that he was low in oil. he fix and everything is perfect now. he told me that i need to change oil every 3000 miles, does this sound normal? i m a beginner in can am
    also last thing, i understand now that i need to put regular break fluid oil (under the seat), but i did not know about the oil for the motor that i need to ad it regularly to.
    thank you for any help
    Year and model would help in order to help you more accurately!
    But I would say this! Here you might find different opinions as to when is the best time to change the oil, but if you have an owners manual, check it out! There you will find the advise of those who engineer your bike! Hope this helps! IMHO, CHANGING OIL TOO OFTEN NEVER HURTS YOUR BIKE, IT WOULD ONLY HURT YOUR POCKET

Spyder Garage

14225420_10208406908025231_7185244505366151889_n.jpgHi i also have only in the morning when i back up my spyder a squeezing sound. anyone have any ideas of what can i do to fix it.
    thank you so much
    IMHO, THAT IS NORMAL WITH THE SPYDERS! At leas the ones I have owned! Some more than others! Relax and enjoy your ride! By the way! That's a nice looking bike!

Spyder Garage

Default How often....

I like to change oil every 3000 to 4000 miles. You do have to check about every 500 and add oil cause these engines use oil and shifting is one of the signs that you are low..especially the semi automatics. As for the squealing, probably the brakes and if you clean the brake dust with simple green or brake cleaner it will be better for a while but again may have to be done again depending on how you ryde.
    Welcome to the spyder world I have an RS and will till one of us cashes in....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The brake fluid is DOT 4. That is not the same as you use in a car you can buy it at an auto parts store.

You can downliad the owners manual at www.can-am.brp.com

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

your dealer was correct, change the oil every 3,000 miles on a RS, you have the 990 series engine, best to use the BRP brand oil to help it run smoother.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    your dealer was correct, change the oil every 3,000 miles on a RS, you have the 990 series engine, best to use the BRP brand oil to help it run smoother.

Cruzr joe
    Didnt the interval change to 4300 with the longer filter?

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Hi Carrillo Jean welcome to the forum. Your owners manual will tell you that the oil change interval on your
    spyder is every 3000 mi as the dealer said. BRP sent out a change which moved the oil change to every 4600 mi. You should check your oil every 300mi according to the manual. I check mine once a week but I ride alot. If you don't have a manual you can get one here http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/?redire...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Click on the button that says "owners" and it will take you to the manuals.

As to the noise you are hearing when you back up that is normal. Yes it is horrible noise but it is normal,just things being asked to move opposite way they are accustomed. Happy Riding

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your owners manual will tell you when to change oil. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just bought a 2012 rt limited with semi automatic. When shifting into reverse and first gear, there is a loud clunk which may or may not be normal. I've noticed it downshifts rather aggressively. Is all this normal? Bought the bike in Texas and brought it to California. The Texas title does not list the engine number on it and California DMV requires them to visualize both the engine number and vehicle I.d. Number. Needless to say, the engine number is under those panels but you must remove three panels, and even then you need a flashlight and a mirror to see it. I was instead given appointment at chp four months away and I assume they will obtain the engine number and add it ti new title. Anyone else with DMV issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Can't help with DMV issues but your initial clunk is normal. I have found that letting it warm up for a few minutes seems to lessen the clunk.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The above posters have you covered on oil change intervals and the clunking noise.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The brake fluid is DOT 4. That is not the same as you use in a car you can buy it at an auto parts store.

Its
    exactly the same fluid we use in cars and trucks here. Has been the spec for all GM and Fords for many years. Not familiar with the import stuff, don't work on them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

4600 on my 998 with long trans filter.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its
    exactly the same fluid we use in cars and trucks here. Has been the spec for all GM and Fords for many years. Not familiar with the import stuff, don't work on them.
    Jim, I have never had any luck finding DOT 4 in gas stations only DOT 3. I guess I should have said it isn't the most common fluid.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

thank you for any help
    As several have already mentioned the original service intervals for an oil and filter change were 3100 miles (5000km) but in 2012 Can-am changed over to different oil filters and the service intervals were increased to 4600 miles (7500km). Personally I still change my oil and filters at 3100 miles as the oils already dark by then. As you have an SE there are two oil filters to change (the SM model just has one), so if you're doing this yourself make sure you order the right kit.

If you want to download a copy of the revised service information I've made it available on Microsoft OneDrive:
    https://1drv.ms/b/s!Am_pH3i-LyXigYpQ8RN_8e6QAFigLw

The engine in the RS uses a bit oil so you do need to top it up regularly particularly when they are low mileage. Unusually this improves as you clock up miles.

Like Cruzr Joe I use the BRP branded oil, however if you have a look through this forum you'll see several brands of oil that other people use and are happy with. The one thing to make sure is if you use a different make is that it's an oil intended for motorcycles not cars. Spyders, like most motorbikes, have a wet clutch. This means the clutch is in oil. Cars are dry clutch (no oil). Car oils has additives in it which damage clutches and stops them working.

As Spyder Ann mentioned it's just normal DOT 4 brake fluid, and by the sound of it your already aware it needs to be checked regularly - If you start getting a brake warning it's normally a brake fluid level issue but you'll find it will only need a tiny amount.

And I'm afraid as Chupaca and Lou49 mentioned the it's the brakes that make that horrible noise when you back the Spyder up - all the pre-2013's do that (not sure about the later models). Just think of it as a siren to warn pedestrians that you're reversing:-)

Quote Originally Posted by lou49 View Post
    Year and model would help in order to help you more accurately!
    Model was mentioned but they included some photos and I can spot a pre-2013 RS at a 1000 yards:-)

Spyder Garage

Jim, I have never had any luck finding DOT 4 in gas stations only DOT 3. I guess I should have said it isn't the most common fluid.
    Guess
    since DOT 4 is all I have purchased in years, I just never paid attention to its availability or lack thereof. WalMart always has it (Prestone) but for the shop I order in Castrol by the case. Better fluid at a better price that way. Also DOT4 can be used in any vehicle labeled for DOT3 as well. Just stay away from silicone based DOT5. Its pretty rare in the US but its to be avoided.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I like to change oil every 3000 to 4000 miles. You do have to check about every 500 and add oil cause these engines use oil and shifting is one of the signs that you are low..especially the semi automatics. As for the squealing, probably the brakes and if you clean the brake dust with simple green or brake cleaner it will be better for a while but again may have to be done again depending on how you ryde.
    Welcome to the spyder world I have an RS and will till one of us cashes in....
    This is good to know, as I have a 2014 RT, and have never had to add oil, so this will be new to me. Should any motorcycle oil work if BRP oil is not available? What weight is preferred?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Having a 2014 RT you will not have the oil usage that the earlier ones have. The 1330 triple does not use oil iu t is only the 998 V-twins. The squealing brakes however are pretty much the same ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Having a 2014 RT you will not have the oil usage that the earlier ones have. The 1330 triple does not use oil iu t is only the 998 V-twins. The squealing brakes however are pretty much the same ...
    Well, now that I have both, I just need to remember to check the oil more often on the RS. I mainly check the oil on the RT just before a long trip. I see I need to check the RS more often.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The OP lives in California.
    As I recall; the new parts weren't approved by California... Those bikes never had the conversion parts available.
    (I think!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The OP lives in California.
    As I recall; the new parts weren't approved by California... Those bikes never had the conversion parts available.
    (I think!)
    All
    998 SEs were converted to the longer trans filter. The short filter is no longer available. Even K&N has discontinued it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seem to recall that California was having some problem with the update...
    Or is my memory getting worse, than even I have feared?
    Do you remember the story?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've noticed that too. Thanks for confirming my transmission isn't about to drop....this is my first spyder and I'm loving it so far. Only downside is the closest dealer is 80 miles away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk