Thread: can am cb radio

Spyder Garage

Default can am cb radio

What kind of luck is every one having with the can am cb radio . Any good or bad ?

Spyder Garage

Default Can Am CB & radio

Have a 2014 RTS with BRP CB installed. Have not had any bad experiences. Travel considerable amount of time with Goldwing friends and use it all the time.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default CB radio

I have a factory can am CB on my 2015 RTS S and had some issues at first. I added extra foil tape for better ground plane and also upgraded the antenna to a J&M antenna tuned for the Spyder.
    Last edited by ceyer69; 11-12-2016 at 07:36 AM.
    2015 SE6 SS

Elka Stage 2 front and rear shocks
    Lamonster Web Pegs
    General Altimax RT43 Rear Tire
    Lamonster LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Baker Wings
    Bajarons Sway Bar & Links
    Custom Dynamics Fender, Bright Sides and HMT Brake Lt
    Zumo 590
    CB
    Spyder Mudflap
    Lamonster drink holder
    Foam Grips
    Billet Axle Covers
    Stebel Air Horn
    SpyderPops Bumpskid
    SpyderPops belt guard
    SpyderPops Kotte Grills
    TriCLED LED Driving lights
    Magic Mirrors

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Don't waste your money on the cb/comm system. I have had nothing but problems with the cb and comm system .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    What kind of luck is every one having with the can am cb radio . Any good or bad ?
    ​Adequate. Barely.

Spyder Garage

Mine doesn't work. It transmits fine but when the engine is on, I get static when receiving. However, its receives great when the engine is not running. So it's more like a $1,000 intercom system.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 11-11-2016 at 05:53 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    Mine works good, particularly w/ the Firestik NGP antenna. Search for my post about it. I can't find or do links with Tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default can am cb

I thank you all for the replies .

Spyder Garage

Mine works well...but I am having trouble with the Tennessee accent option!
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ceyer69 View Post
    I have a factory can am CB on my 2025 RTS S and had some issues at first. I added extra foil tape for better ground plane and also upgraded the antenna to a J&M antenna tuned for the Spyder.
    a 2025 R-T-S please put photo`s of it here !

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ceyer69 View Post
    I have a factory can am CB on my 2025 RTS S and had some issues at first. I added extra foil tape for better ground plane and also upgraded the antenna to a J&M antenna tuned for the Spyder.
    How much do you think the foil tape helped? The reason I ask is because I tried it and it did nothing to improve the SWR. In researching CB issues I came to the determination that aluminum does not work very well for a ground plane. Steel works the best. When I was battling with the CB high SWR I pulled a 3 ft square steel top table next to the Spyder and connected the antenna ground to it. SWR dropped dramatically!

Because the Spyder has so little steel to create a decent ground plane the Firestik No Ground Plane antenna is about the best option there is. The challenge is to accommodate the 17 ft coax cable and keep it away from the steel frame. Having the coax close to steel hampers the antenna's effectiveness.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Took out 27mgh CB, replaced with a UHF CB mounted in top box, a lot better than 27mghs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrr View Post
    Took out 27mgh CB, replaced with a UHF CB mounted in top box, a lot better than 27mghs.
    Flyr, Did you use the BRP CB antenna base & access the provided PTT button, or did you go with alternatives for either/both?!?

For the 'non-Aussie readers', regular road users & off roaders here in Aus pretty much exclusively run UHF CB for local, vehicle to vehicle, & tour/convoy comms, benefiting from the clarity & security features they can provide plus there's a fairly extensive repeater network available too, so we can fairly reliably get good short/mid range AND reasonably good long range comms via the UHF CB in a very usable manner. We've pretty much dropped 27mHz CB as next to useless here because just about everywhere it is prone to massive & continual interference from hundreds of extremely high powered units gabbing almost continuously around the clock courtesy of the fishing fleets of our Northern Neighbours that congregate in the seas just over our Northern horizons - if it's not the LoS & ground plane signal booming in then the skip propagation means that most of mainland Aust is almost always blanketed by their high volume chatter!!

Sooo, if anyone has come up with a way of usefully integrating UHF CB into the BRP CB platform (have you Flyr?) I'd be extremely interested in hearing/seeing what it took & how you managed it?!? Anyone??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default CB Mod's

It may have been more of the better antenna from J&M than the foil tape. I did it all together at once. I like the idea of the firestick NGP antenna. How did you mount it and where did you put all the coax?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    How much do you think the foil tape helped? The reason I ask is because I tried it and it did nothing to improve the SWR. In researching CB issues I came to the determination that aluminum does not work very well for a ground plane. Steel works the best. When I was battling with the CB high SWR I pulled a 3 ft square steel top table next to the Spyder and connected the antenna ground to it. SWR dropped dramatically!

Because the Spyder has so little steel to create a decent ground plane the Firestik No Ground Plane antenna is about the best option there is. The challenge is to accommodate the 17 ft coax cable and keep it away from the steel frame. Having the coax close to steel hampers the antenna's effectiveness.
    2015 SE6 SS

Elka Stage 2 front and rear shocks
    Lamonster Web Pegs
    General Altimax RT43 Rear Tire
    Lamonster LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Baker Wings
    Bajarons Sway Bar & Links
    Custom Dynamics Fender, Bright Sides and HMT Brake Lt
    Zumo 590
    CB
    Spyder Mudflap
    Lamonster drink holder