Spyder Garage

Default Looking real hard at a Spyder F3-T

Well yesterday marked the 1 week anniversary of the demise of my 2013 HD Ultra Limited. I was with some friends returning from a restaurant when Jane Doe the deer decided to cross my path. Unfortunately for Jane she did not live to tell the tale. I walked (limped) away with a messed up knee and some bruises. While out on sick leave from the knee I have been pondering a Spyder as a replacement for my Harley. I have priced, shopped, and test rode (against the doctors orders) the F3-T. I will have to say that I was impressed enough to find my way here to this forum. I'm 53 years old and live on a 1/4 mile long dirt road. I cannot count the close calls I have had almost dumping the Harley. If the dealer holds his mouth right we may be able to do business. I thought at first that the SM-6 was the way to go but being as the clutch is so stiff I am opting for the SE-6. Of course all my riding friends say I should get another Harley, but the price in comparison with the stability of 3 wheels and the sleek styling has nearly got me hooked. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER SWITCH

Hi friend & ... been there done that ( Gold Wing tho ) your at lot younger than me so the F-3 may work with your *ss better than mine .... At least for long hauls .... But My RT has taken me 750 in a day with no sweat. I also started with a manual setup on my first ( of 3 ) spyders but my last 2 have been Semi-auto's....... and I'd never go back...... BRP has nailed it with this tranny .... I even scored a 1st place Drag trophy with my 2011 RSS - semi-auto..... You've come to the right place for knowledge - I highly advise looking over the " Do's & Dont's " sticky .... Spyders are MTC's in name only.... drive it like a Car .... good luck, and don't be shy about asking questions ....... Mike

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will go with what Mike said, except for the part on the tranny. I have the manual 6 speed and love it.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I recently moved from a Victory Vision to an F3-T due to basketball knees. I have not regretted it for a minute, and the Vision was one heck of a tourer.

Not having to worry too much about whether there is a water/oil puddle or gravel around that next corner makes for one great ride. Not worrying about whether you knees will hold two wheels up af the petrol station/cafe after 2 hours riding, makes for one relaxing ride. Grinning from ear to ear as you punt it through a corner makes for one exhilarating ride......can you tell I love it? 😆. I have the SE tranny and also love that.

As Mike says, make sure you ask questions about anything you don't like. It is highly likely that they have been voiced previously and can be easily solved, due to the sheer numbers of two wheel riders moving to Spyders and asking the same questions.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I went from a Fatboy to a Spyder. You won't regret the decision. I sometimes miss my Harley, but after riding cross country on the Spyder and meeting other Spyder owners, I haven't looked back.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a new F3T last week, getting up there in age and my wife wanted a little softer ride from our 07' Big Dog Mastiff, love the Dog but I think its going to be kenneled a lot more now, I really like the sitting position on the F3, not to mention all the other goodies
    Glad to be a part of this site, I already ordered the Led head lights and fog lights from the advise given here

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

went from a 2008 Road King Classic to my 2012 Spyder RT-S. i'll never go back to 2 wheels again. having Arthur in my hips makes it difficult to get my feet down at stops. no worries about this with the Spyder. comfort is light years ahead of Harley. no heat thru the seat either. better forward lighting, linked brakes. loads of storage. after near falling over a couple times last year at stop signs, the wife said she would not get on the Harley again. the Spyder is a whole different ball game. buy it, you'll not regret it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the demise of your Ultra Limited...
    But , and Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3 View Post
    I just purchased a new F3T last week, getting up there in age and my wife wanted a little softer ride from our 07' Big Dog Mastiff, love the Dog but I think its going to be kenneled a lot more now, I really like the sitting position on the F3, not to mention all the other goodies
    Glad to be a part of this site, I already ordered the Led head lights and fog lights from the advise given here
    &
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
    Well yesterday marked the 1 week anniversary of the demise of my 2013 HD Ultra Limited. I was with some friends returning from a restaurant when Jane Doe the deer decided to cross my path. Unfortunately for Jane she did not live to tell the tale. I walked (limped) away with a messed up knee and some bruises. While out on sick leave from the knee I have been pondering a Spyder as a replacement for my Harley. I have priced, shopped, and test rode (against the doctors orders) the F3-T. I will have to say that I was impressed enough to find my way here to this forum. I'm 53 years old and live on a 1/4 mile long dirt road. I cannot count the close calls I have had almost dumping the Harley. If the dealer holds his mouth right we may be able to do business. I thought at first that the SM-6 was the way to go but being as the clutch is so stiff I am opting for the SE-6. Of course all my riding friends say I should get another Harley, but the price in comparison with the stability of 3 wheels and the sleek styling has nearly got me hooked. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    You certainly came to the right place for info. I love my F3T SE6. Get a red one; they're the fastest!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Looking Real Hard

If by chance you may be interested in a 2012 RTS SE5 I am thinking about selling mine. If not, best of luck with your search for the F3

Spyder Garage

You won't regret the move at all, seeing how the HD is gone already.
    We made the move a year ago - FJR1300 to RT-L SE6 and have never regretted it.
    Although I do miss 2 wheels from time to time, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I know of a beautiful white 2015 RT-L SE6 for sale right now -- all tricked out already. Looks like you'll be good to go though.
    Hope that dealer holds his mouth right
    Last edited by HayRog; 11-07-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

I second everything else has told you about the Spyder. I two made the move from 2 wheels to 3 wheels after my knees and hip starting giving me trouble. The bike before the Spyder was a Triumph Rocket, which I still miss, but life goes on. I'm on my second Spyder, my first was a 2012RTS and then move up to the 2015 RTS. Plenty of storage and a pretty comfortable ride. Easily a 400 mile plus a day bike. The most miles in a day has been 650 miles, but my butt was hurting. Have test rode the F3 and its one awesome bike. Wished now I waited some for the F3-T to come out. You will love the F3-T. Good Luck

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Happy to know that you came out on the better end of your encounter! Myself, I had ridden mostly H/Ds since the '80s, everything from a Deuce to an Ultra. Enjoyed my experience, BUT... I went back to for a high scool reunion and went for a ride with an old friend who had ridden H/Ds for a looooong time. He had recently purchased a H/D trike and his wife said that they had never had so much fun! The trike was so much more stable and they enjoyed the touring experience a whole lot more than on 2 wheels. That is what got me to looking around.

You can try a H/D trike, if that is what makes you happy, but power steering, semi-auto transmission, and the increased stability of the REVERSE trike is really something to consider. Now, I had bad luck with a 2013 RT that had a heat issue reputation, and a 2014 RT that overheated nearly every time I took her out. But I REALLY enjoyed the Spyder ride. When BRP came out with the F3, I decided that 3rd time is the charm or three strikes you are out (not to mention the fact that my wife was getting very reluctant to send BRP more $$$) and traded fro the F3! I LOVE IT and have had very good luck with the performance and reliability - a 2015 F3S. I really do not think you would regret owning a Spyder! Best o' luck on your decision!

Spyder Garage

Presuming it was a 2015 F3 - SM6 you were looking at? Reason I say is, it's my understand the clutch lever issue is fixed on the 16's and there is a kit to fix it on the 15's. Makes it like the RT SM6, which I have and love. Maybe you could talk the dealer into throwing it in !
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Now that being said, if you get the Spyder, I would be 90% sure that you will enjoy it, if you give it a fair shot. It Rydes differently, steers differently, handles differently, etc. there is a learning period, get through that and u will b pleased.

Just one added note. Do not be surprised if you lose some HD friends after your conversion, it happens! Ryde on!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post

Now that being said, if you get the Spyder, I would be 90% sure that you will enjoy it, if you give it a fair shot. It Rydes differently, steers differently, handles differently, etc. there is a learning period, get through that and u will b pleased.

Just one added note. Do not be surprised if you lose some HD friends after your conversion, it happens! Ryde on!

Joe
    Gee Joe.......if acpd loses "friends" because he has moved to a trike, you really couldn't say they were friends in the first place ..... no loss
    Last edited by Peteoz; 11-08-2016 at 02:42 AM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

to the party. Sorry to hear about the demise of the HD. Glad you got through that one okay.

Let us know what you end up with. Sounds like you are making a good choice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Harley + accident = Spyder for me. I love he Spyder but miss the bike in the twisties.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    Harley + accident = Spyder for me. I love he Spyder but miss the bike in the twisties.

We miss the Harleys in the twisties too. We have to wait for them at the next stop.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have the F3 T SE6, went to this from the M109 R Limited. Very happy, my knees are wrecked and this is a perfect option.