Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3S Backup Light conversion

Several weeks ago I latched onto a Gearbrake module and two Red cob led light panels
    and mounted them vertically against the saddle bags. The vertical mounts
    tend to stand out more from the normal tail lights, so I hooked the module into one of the
    brake/running taillights and the cobs into the module. Bright is not the word for them.
    You slow down and they blink and go solid when you touch the brake. Turn off when you
    speed up or let off the brake. I have been looking at converting the backup light to the
    same configuration. After a lot of searching on ebay I ran across the these bulbs. One pair
    of Red canbus error free BAY9S H21W 64136 with 120 degree socket and 24 smd LED's. Sold
    by gt.inthebox for $14.99. I.D. # 232106550993. I disconnected the backup connector and
    replaced the backup light with one of the BAY9S bulbs and hooked it to the cob wiring. Works just
    like the cob LED's. No backup light now but I have a good blinking stop light in the middle
    of the regular tail lights. Sorry if this is a little long winded. Just trying to explain what I accomplished.
    I be a happy camper.

Dray
    Last edited by Dray; 11-05-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Good job. As I mentioned in an earlier post my attempt was a bust. The bulb I picked up on Amazon was NOT canbus compatible and freaked out the electrical system. Want to sell your extra bulb?

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Maybe post a video?
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR LIGHTS

I love someone who can think out of the box, ..................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Amazon

Awesome information, Dray! I was JUST looking for this information last week about the heck kind of reverse bulb these F3s have, which was hard to find. I finally found this info on a BMW forum. H21W bulb with a BAY9 base (note: a BA9 base WILL NOT work).

My reverse light burned out after only 5000 miles, and I suspect that someone touched the bulb with bare fingers when building the bike, causing it to die prematurely. Instead of driving to the dealership to get a new bulb under warranty, I opted to go the LED CanBus-friendly route. I went with these iJDMTOY bulbs for the quicker shipping (vs overseas) and easy return if they didn't work out. A pair for $18, free shipping seemed reasonable...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KIK6ANW/

The bulb is super bright, looks awesome compared to my other LED lights, fits inside the housing just fine, and no complaints from the computer.

TIP: because my F3 is black, I couldn't see that there is a tab holding the reverse light plug down in it's cradle. Push this tab in to pull out the plug, giving your fingers room to twist out the bulb.

2016 F3 Limited - Triple Black Atlanta