Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Moving from RT to F3 - Have a few questions for those who have done this

Hello All

Currently I have a 2016 RT-SS that I've enjoyed from July of this year on. When I acquired it, I was not sure if I wanted the RT or the F3, the turning point was that the boss was very interested in touring with me sitting on the back. With one season of riding mostly in the book at this point, I've have a few observations and questions for those that have moved from an RT to an F3. We both love the RT, especially since I've added more money in extra's than I care to think about, but my thought process is being driven by riding style. I've tracked how often I ride solo versus two up and it's about a 70 / 30 mixture of solo v two up, this is the reverse of what we thought it would be. She tires after 4-5 hours and pretty much would like to pack it in after that. The bike is setup for comfort, Russel Day-Long heated seat, F4 wide and tall windscreen to keep the elements off us so it's not that I've missed an option or farkle that would make a difference. She has given me the official Ok to look at what I want to ride so I've opened the door to being a little selfish in that regard.

The mistake was seeing the new 2017 F3 Limited with that large rear top case, I compounded that error by taking a test ride on a 2016 F3 Limited to see if I actually thought it was a different ride and one that I liked. The first mile and roll of the throttle put any doubts to rest. So, here are a few questions for those who switched because that's the path I'm moving towards.

1. Why did you switch and are you happy with it
    2. I know I'll need a new windscreen from F4, thoughts on size? I'm 5'8 and the boss is 5'6, I'm used to looking through the windscreen versus over it and want her happy as well should we actually take a trip over 4 hours in length
    3. I found the wind protection while not the same as an RT, better than I expected. Your thoughts on additional wind protection for the F3 would be appreciated
    4. Anything else you care to add regarding your experience or thoughts on this

Thanks for taking a moment to respond and also a shout out to the folks and friends from MN Spyder Ryders and Caswells, as fine a group of outstanding citizens if ever there was one.

mark
    2016 Spyder F3-L Special Series
    2016 Spyder RT Special Series

Spyder Garage

Lots of experience with RT but cannot give any info about the F3 that will help you.

Will just sit back and watch. Let us know what you do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I went from an 2015 RT Limted to a 2016 F3T. My riding like yours is 70/30 split riding solo. I put lots of money in the RT, but that isn't news as I've done that to every bike I've owned. Had I known that BRP was coming out with the F3T in 2016, I never would have bought the RT. But, it is what it is.

I went to the F3T because of the riding position of, "forward controls". That's more of my natural riding position from years riding V-Twins. I also prefer the lower center of gravity from the F3T vs RT. Now that I have all the goodies on my F3T, (see signature for details) to me it is a better choice of Spyder for me. The wife and I went to the Red Rock Rally in St. George, UT in September, (3,000 miles total). She had no complaints about the ride. We do have a Freedom trailer, so not having the rear trunk isn't a "biggie" for us.

I don't think you will regret going to the F3T.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

KJ

Your build profile mentioned a 21" F4 windscreen, do you look over it or through it? I guess I'm also asking if your body trunk is longer than the average as I'm 5'8. Strange question I know but it goes towards your eye level while seated so i know how much height I need in a screen. Does your wife get a lot of wind with the screen at that height?
    2016 Spyder F3-L Special Series
    2016 Spyder RT Special Series

Spyder Garage

Hi Mark,

Interesting that you are looking at the new F3L as I think that would be my choice if I was to change. I test drove one at Spyderfest this year and liked the riding position better then my RT.

Good luck on what you and Kathy decide on.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MKrone View Post
    Hello All

Currently I have a 2016 RT-SS that I've enjoyed from July of this year on. When I acquired it, I was not sure if I wanted the RT or the F3, the turning point was that the boss was very interested in touring with me sitting on the back. With one season of riding mostly in the book at this point, I've have a few observations and questions for those that have moved from an RT to an F3. We both love the RT, especially since I've added more money in extra's than I care to think about, but my thought process is being driven by riding style. I've tracked how often I ride solo versus two up and it's about a 70 / 30 mixture of solo v two up, this is the reverse of what we thought it would be. She tires after 4-5 hours and pretty much would like to pack it in after that. The bike is setup for comfort, Russel Day-Long heated seat, F4 wide and tall windscreen to keep the elements off us so it's not that I've missed an option or farkle that would make a difference. She has given me the official Ok to look at what I want to ride so I've opened the door to being a little selfish in that regard.

The mistake was seeing the new 2017 F3 Limited with that large rear top case, I compounded that error by taking a test ride on a 2016 F3 Limited to see if I actually thought it was a different ride and one that I liked. The first mile and roll of the throttle put any doubts to rest. So, here are a few questions for those who switched because that's the path I'm moving towards.

1. Why did you switch and are you happy with it
    2. I know I'll need a new windscreen from F4, thoughts on size? I'm 5'8 and the boss is 5'6, I'm used to looking through the windscreen versus over it and want her happy as well should we actually take a trip over 4 hours in length
    3. I found the wind protection while not the same as an RT, better than I expected. Your thoughts on additional wind protection for the F3 would be appreciated
    4. Anything else you care to add regarding your experience or thoughts on this

Thanks for taking a moment to respond and also a shout out to the folks and friends from MN Spyder Ryders and Caswells, as fine a group of outstanding citizens if ever there was one.

mark
    I own both a 2014 RT and a 2015 F3s. The F3 is configured for solo riding (my bike) and I enjoy pushing it trough te twisties without fear of being beat on by the boss. We enjoy a more relaxing ride on the RT and usually ride with our local Spyder club. Both machines have their place and I do enjoy the differences. I als am a LED junkie and have every led known to mankind on both bikes. The LED's are for cage drivers to see me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The F3 will never match the RT for two-up comfort...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had a 2011 RT and I switched to a 2015 F3S. I ride 2 up alot but I also ride to work and the gym etc alone. For most trips ill ride 2 up.

the RT was more comfortable for my wife on the back than the F3 but the F3 is WAY better for me. (others will be different of course)

on the RT especially with someone on the back I found when cornering I was always using my thighs to brace myself while in the corner and my legs would go numb after a short time. where as the F3 I use my feet due to the seating position and I can literally ride gas tank to gas tank (300 plus km) without even stopping and im not sore at all.

after riding on the back of the F3 my wife doesnt mind it at all. I have the removable back rest and the 2 up shock which im not sure I even need but she still has a blast and she doesnt get sore either. She liked the RT cause it surrounded her a bit more but the F3 she still is fine with.

good luck with which ever way you go. get out there and ride

Stiff
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I will chime in as well. No experience on the RT but bought the F3 T 2016. I never even sat on it or rode a Spyder prior to buying. Of course I read everything I could find as well as followed this forum for about 2 months. With that said, I have gone 350 miles at a time with no issues, very comfortable bike and that is with a stock seat and windshield. No plans to make any change there. I did adjust the foot pegs to the furthest point- 5? and it is perfect for me. This is by far the most comfy bike I have had and that has been many. The power is more than I need, not a race bike but certainly more than enough. It feels like a go cart around hair pin corners and curves, the brakes are great. There is the belt vibe to get figured out but that seems to be somewhat minor. I feel like there is plenty of storage for a 2 or 3 day trip but I came off of naked bikes for the past 3 years. I think the wind protection is great but have not gone more than 350 miles at 1 time, I also wear a great full face helmet with ear plugs and a good jacket with the kevlar protection so this helps with some of the wind. I really dont ride that fast, maybe a max of 70.

The f3 T is a great looking bike and am always getting people coming up to me at the gas stations wanting to know about it. Good luck

Spyder Garage

I went from an ST to a F3 , so I can't comment directly about the RT, but I can tell you I love the F3 so much more!
    Much more comfortable, much better handling, and we ride 2-up more than 50% of the time. We have a passenger backrest and passenger footboards. My wife recently had an opportunity to spend quite a few miles on a RTL and said she felt just as comfortable on our F3 (she may be bias).
    I have driven a few RT's, probably less than 50 miles total, but I felt like a fish out of water when it came to handling.
    For me the handling of the F3 was so much easier/better. I do have 11,500 miles on my F3 since March though, and I do know people can really ride the RT's, because I ride with people that do very well. Les(PW2013STL) being one of them.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    I went from an ST to a F3 , so I can't comment directly about the RT, but I can tell you I love the F3 so much more!
    Much more comfortable, much better handling, and we ride 2-up more than 50% of the time. We have a passenger backrest and passenger footboards. My wife recently had an opportunity to spend quite a few miles on a RTL and said she felt just as comfortable on our F3 (she may be bias).
    I have driven a few RT's, probably less than 50 miles total, but I felt like a fish out of water when it came to handling.
    For me the handling of the F3 was so much easier/better. I do have 11,500 miles on my F3 since March though, and I do know people can really ride the RT's, because I ride with people that do very well. Les(PW2013STL) being one of them.
    Hi Mike,

Have you replaced the front fender yet? Any other damage from that misguided deer?
    Looking forward to our next ride together!

Les

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did long (multi day) test rides with both the RT L & the F 3 L (2016). Came from a STS.
    Loved both machines, F 3 had the sportier handling. That said comfort for my passenger (wife) was a big issue. She voted for the RT and I easily agreed. She spends a lot of time on the Spyder. Did buy the shorter vented shield and love it. RT is also the available storage winner.
    F 3 to us is not a machine you can do a lot of 2 up touring with. Long term riding (F 3) for me ended up bothering the back a bit.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Saluda; 11-03-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

My scenario is probably more of a 75/25 i left the RT limited for a F3 Limited, long (7 - 8 hr) rides the RT wins hands down, shorter rides about the same, Storage Rt wins hands down, pure fun F3 wins that by a small margin.

Will i go back to an RT??? 50/50 chance i will

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MKrone View Post
    KJ

Your build profile mentioned a 21" F4 windscreen, do you look over it or through it? I guess I'm also asking if your body trunk is longer than the average as I'm 5'8. Strange question I know but it goes towards your eye level while seated so i know how much height I need in a screen. Does your wife get a lot of wind with the screen at that height?
    I'm 6' and I look over the top of the shield. My wife hasn't complained about any wind turbulence.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

I too am having the same dilemma. I have been studying the Spyder for about a year and road both the F3T and the RTS back in the spring. I recently came across a used 2015 RTS Special Series with only 5700 miles on it that I couldn't pass up. I have put about 600 miles on it so far and love the comfort and especially love the concept over the 2 wheels but the jury is still out over the seating position vs the F3.

Then they introduce the 2017 F3 Limited that is set up pretty much identical to the RT. Except for the electric windshield is has the top trunk, auto adjustable air suspension and now also has the same rear sprocket. From what I have read BRP has also updated the DPS to be better and smoother on both models.

I have spent countless hours reading through the many posts on this forum and have picked out the many upgrades I want to do to my RT, (seat, windshield, sway bar, laser alignment, tires, etc) but before I spend the time and money I need to see and test drive the new F3L.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Wayne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Hi Mike,

Have you replaced the front fender yet? Any other damage from that misguided deer?
    Looking forward to our next ride together!

Les
    Yep, all fixed! Total with alignment(which was still good), $732! Damn furry bastards!
    Too bad nothing got set up for the weekend. We still have Sunday available if someone wants to ride! I'd lead a ride on some nice roads around our area if you guys ever want to come this way.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    Yep, all fixed! Total with alignment(which was still good), $732! Damn furry bastards!
    Too bad nothing got set up for the weekend. We still have Sunday available if someone wants to ride! I'd lead a ride on some nice roads around our area if you guys ever want to come this way.
    Mike,

Kathy and I will ride with you Sunday around you area. Let me know where to meet.

Mark,

Sorry for the thread hijack! Of couse if you and Kathy want to ride also we could ride there together.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have Air Wings that will fit the F3 and we have wonderful reviews for extra wind protection. The hand wings mount under the mirror and the leg wings hide down by your front tires. Each working great to direct or deflect both engine heat and wind and rain away or onto the rider depending on what you would like. Good luck on your search and purchase.
    Baker Built
    Baker Built

Spyder Garage

Hi Mark,
    I had a 2013 RT and a 2014 RT and switched to a 2015 F3-S. I switched for a couple of reasons. I never had problems with my 2013 RT, but I knew the heat issue was going to be an issue for resale or trade, eventually. So I waited for the reports on the 2014s with the new engine. Reports were great, so I traded for a RTS. Had it out 4 times, 800 total miles and it overheated 3 of the 4 times. I was ready to give up on BRP, but in 2015, BRP came out with the F3. I had H/D most of my riding career and one of the most comfy, for me, was a Deuce cruiser. I sat on the F3 and knew it was the one for me IF (BIG IF) I had better luck than the RTs. It's been flawless, comfortable and a real blast!

I am 5'6" and have the F4 short shield because I like to look OVER the shield. Works great. If you want to look thru the shield, go taller! As far as wind protection, I like the protection. I have been in heavy rain and my legs and torso were well protected. I do like a little air flow rather than the complete protection of the RT, but that is individual choice. Be sure to get the floor boards. They allow you to move your feet around which is really nice on longer cruises. BTW, I ride solo most of the time, so get input from others on your copilot issues! Either way, I don't think you will regret your decision, but I would never go back to RT, especially now that the touring/luxo models are out! Good luck on your shopping!
    Loren

Spyder Garage

Default Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Really, Bob? For you, the F3 will never match the RT for two-up comfort. For me, the RT will never match the F3 (Limited) for two-up comfort. It's all relative, and model specific
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Mark, hop on o the F4 site and you will find lots of info about torso heights for the respective F4 shields. You should be able to sort exactly which height will best suit. Also, make sure that those who are commenting are comparing the RT to at least a 2016 Limited and not a standard F3. The difference is significant with the two up shocks, better element protection, potential for rear trunk, etc etc etc.

Heck, I can still remember when I was trying to work out which way to go, seeing a comment from a vocal member stating that the F3 was effectively an unfairinged sports bike, which nearly caused me to buy an RT, until I saw the F3 Limited. Turns ourt that member simply hadn't bothered to stay in touch with the latest models, but was still prepared to voice an opinion.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Really, Bob? For you, the F3 will never match the RT for two-up comfort. For me, the RT will never match the F3 (Limited) for two-up comfort. It's all relative, and model specific
    I'll stand by my assessment; please feel free to disagree!
    The Touring Saddle on the RT has a wider perch for both rider AND passenger...
    (measure them...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'll stand by my assessment; please feel free to disagree!
    The Touring Saddle on the RT has a wider perch for both rider AND passenger...
    (measure them...)
    hahaha......I thought disagreeing was what I was doing in my first post, Bob 😆 .....and I fully respect your personal assessment about the fit of the two trikes.....to you

......it may be a fact that the RT has a wider seat than the F3, but if you are assuming from that fact that that (how many "thats?) automatically makes them more comfortable, that is NOT a fact. My wife much preferred the narrower F3 seat as it gave her support where she needed it, and a perfect reach to the floorboards. Once again, everyone is different, and you don't know what will be a better touring model for you until you have spent time on both.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMG_0331.jpg
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I traded my 2013 RT LTD for the 2016 F3T LTD. For me I can't say anything bad about either ride. My reasons for trading was more want than need. I can say that the RT was a more plush ride with the added storage that made it better for longer rides or trips. I don't do much two up riding, so that wasn't much concern for me. The F3T I find handles better with it's low center of gravity. It is still comfortable for me. It's just a different comfort level than the RT with a lower seating and more stretched out position. I wanted the F3T for the sportier ride. When I had my 2008 GS, I've always enjoyed the fun factor it gave me over the RT and I kind of missed that. The F3T brings that thrill back, especially with the 1330 engine. If I could have afforded to keep both the RT LTD and the F3T LTD I would have, but I couldn't do that because of financial reasons. That's when I made the decision to trade in the RT for the F3T. I will probably get the rear top case option for the F3T when they become available next spring to get the added storage. That option will be pricey though, so I have to still give that one some thought.