Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default If you are asking me...........

I am getting the general off of Ebay for $68.99 frt. free.

As an RV'er I am well aware of the tire age concerns. Just have to hope these aren't left overs with too much age on them. Time wise, this last rear lasted me about a little less than 2 years.

I think I have several thousand miles left of the fronts so will not be looking for new tires there yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    I am getting the general off of Ebay for $68.99 frt. free.

As an RV'er I am well aware of the tire age concerns. Just have to hope these aren't left overs with too much age on them. Time wise, this last rear lasted me about a little less than 2 years.

I think I have several thousand miles left of the fronts so will not be looking for new tires there yet.
    I am running the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear of my 2014RTS-SE6 Size: 215/60 R15 @ 26psi. This is my 3 riding season with the General Altimax RT43, I have a lot of thread left. The spyder handles fantastic on dry, wet, roads. I do not hear any noise from the tire.

A lot of other spyder owners on this site are also running the General on there spyders. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Car tire

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have seen many complaints about WET roads and Hydroplaning etc., especially with Car tires. If the rear tire pressure is lowered to 21 psi , the WET Grip of the tire will improve Greatly. ...........Mike
    Orinally when the Altimax RT43 was put on the back of Deanna's spyder more than once you guys listed running it at 26lbs, what made you change that air pressure and how did you arrive at 21 lbs. Thus far I have had good luck with mine at 26 even in pouring wind driven rain but am certainly open to new things.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLARIFICATION

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    Orinally when the Altimax RT43 was put on the back of Deanna's spyder more than once you guys listed running it at 26lbs, what made you change that air pressure and how did you arrive at 21 lbs. Thus far I have had good luck with mine at 26 even in pouring wind driven rain but am certainly open to new things.
    Correct info on this ..... I suggested to Deanna to use 21 psi ....... She chose to use 26 psi ..... Her basis for this is pure SWAG !!! ..... My basis is I went to school and received training to learn what works ...... Take your pick ... IMHO 21 psi with a car tire allows the tire to work closer to it's optimum considering the weight of the Spyder ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default One more vote for the Atlimax

I'm in the Phoenix area and bought the General's from Discount Tire. They installed the fronts with no questions asked but could not balance them due to the small center hole. I'm running them as mounted with no issues so far.

I had the rear mounted at a local dealer, carried it in to them. They mounted and balanced for about $205. RideNow, the giant dealer in this area would not do the mounting. They run great!

I'm running 19 and 28 psi for now and plan to experiment with lower pressures. I like my tires to soak up part of those road bumps. I also want it to track thru the curves correctly.

Spyder Garage

Default FRONT WHEELS

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post
    I'm in the Phoenix area and bought the General's from Discount Tire. They installed the fronts with no questions asked but could not balance them due to the small center hole. I'm running them as mounted with no issues so far.

I had the rear mounted at a local dealer, carried it in to them. They mounted and balanced for about $205. RideNow, the giant dealer in this area would not do the mounting. They run great!

I'm running 19 and 28 psi for now and plan to experiment with lower pressures. I like my tires to soak up part of those road bumps. I also want it to track thru the curves correctly.
    Concerning what you said about front wheels .... The Spyder front wheels are similar to the Honda and can be spun balanced by the normal high speed balance machine at every tire shop I've ever used ( ie Hunter , Force etc. ) ....... and try 21psi in the rear ..... you will love it ...... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use dynabeads in all my motorcycle tires. Much better than balancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Concerning what you said about front wheels .... The Spyder front wheels are similar to the Honda and can be spun balanced by the normal high speed balance machine at every tire shop I've ever used ( ie Hunter , Force etc. ) ....... and try 21psi in the rear ..... you will love it ...... Mike
    The
    latest edition Hunter balance machines that Discount Tire is buying do not come to the stores with a cone small enough to fit the Spyder front wheels. We bought one from Hunter and I take it with me when getting tires balanced for customers, IE I loan them my cone. We do a fair number of tire installs and the cone was not all that expensive.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Didn't exactly go as planned

I ordered and received a Altimax 605/60R15 and guess what. It was just narrow enough, we couldn't get it to seat on the rim. So down to Discount Tire we went and got a Yokohama 615/60R15 and it fits the rim just fine. It JUST fits in under the fender. It will be ok as the fender is part of the unsprung weight. I'll start at 22 PSI.

Anyone in the Phoenix area need a new 605/60R15 Altimax. I would be glad to sell it to you.

Spyder Garage

Default RIM SEATING

I ordered and received a Altimax 605/60R15 and guess what. It was just narrow enough, we couldn't get it to seat on the rim. So down to Discount Tire we went and got a Yokohama 615/60R15 and it fits the rim just fine. It JUST fits in under the fender. It will be ok as the fender is part of the unsprung weight. I'll start at 22 PSI.

Anyone in the Phoenix area need a new 605/60R15 Altimax. I would be glad to sell it to you.
    I find it hard to believe that tire ( 205/60R-15 ) would not - SEAT on the rim........ Others here have put 205's on the rear rim of Spyders without problems ....... I think it was the installer !!! ......jmho....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I find it hard to believe that tire ( 205/60R-15 ) would not - SEAT on the rim........ Others here have put 205's on the rear rim of Spyders without problems ....... I think it was the installer !!! ......jmho....... Mike
    Can't agree there. I was out there tugging with them. It is just to narrow. But that 615 fit just fine.

Spyder Garage

Default advise re, tire wear

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post

3whlLefty,

Had the same problem when I replaced all three tires while in California visiting my sister. Bought three tires from Discount direct, made an appointment and they couldn't balance them because the center hole is too small.

Rode home ~ 3000 miles, absolutely no hop,bounce or imbalance issues. What I did find is that with 26 psi in the rear tire that my bike would hydro planning all over the road!!!!

When I reduced my rear tire pressure to 18 psi all of that went away!!!!!!!!!! This is my second Kumo Estaca (sp) that I've had on the back. I ran the first one @ 24-26 psi and was very unimpressed with it's wet road handling and traction.

As Peter and Blueknight911 have pointed out, ya have to let those sipes work, and the can't do their job properly at the higher pressures most people feel comfortable running.

I would guess that the rear tire has much less than 500 pounds pushing down on the road with just the bikes weight. The driver sits to the forward side of the rear tire so whatever poundage you contribute is not directly over the rear tire.

Just food for thought, but I will never go back to running above 20 psi in any of my Spyder tires!!! (Thanks for the catch Peter)

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by IGETAROUND; 01-25-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default INSTAL 205

Can't agree there. I was out there tugging with them. It is just to narrow. But that 615 fit just fine.
    Well I just checked my records and back in 2012, I put a 205 / 60-15 General Altimax RT on my 2011 RSS which has the same size REAR WHEEL as every other Spyder ever made including yours ........ So I'm telling you it was THE INSTALLER .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default balance cone

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The
    latest edition Hunter balance machines that Discount Tire is buying do not come to the stores with a cone small enough to fit the Spyder front wheels. We bought one from Hunter and I take it with me when getting tires balanced for customers, IE I loan them my cone. We do a fair number of tire installs and the cone was not all that expensive.
    Jcthorne,

What size cone do you need and how much does it cost??? For as fast as these bikes run through tires might be a good investment.

Thanks,

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Just food for thought, but I will never go back to running above 20 psi in any of my tires!!!

Al in Kazoo
    Maybe you should qualify that a little Al - & never run more than 20psi in any of the (car) tires fitted to your Spyder!! (Not unless you weigh in at something over about 400lbs anyhow!)

But when it comes to your car or truck, both of which might weigh in just a little heavier than your Spyder, now that might be a different matter!

Spyder Garage

Default PSI - ENDORSEMENT

3whlLefty,

Had the same problem when I replaced all three tires while in California visiting my sister. Bought three tires from Discount direct, made an appointment and they couldn't balance them because the center hole is too small.

Rode home ~ 3000 miles, absolutely no hop,bounce or imbalance issues. What I did find is that with 26 psi in the rear tire that my bike would hydro planning all over the road!!!!

When I reduced my rear tire pressure to 18 psi all of that went away!!!!!!!!!! This is my second Kumo Estaca (sp) that I've had on the back. I ran the first one @ 24-26 psi and was very unimpressed with it's wet road handling and traction.

As Peter and Blueknight911 have pointed out, ya have to let those sipes work, and the can't do their job properly at the higher pressures most people feel comfortable running.

I would guess that the rear tire has much less than 500 pounds pushing down on the road with just the bikes weight. The driver sits to the forward side of the rear tire so whatever poundage you contribute is not directly over the rear tire.

Just food for thought, but I will never go back to running above 20 psi in any of my tires!!!

Al in Kazoo
    THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU ......Mike ........it's posts like these that save lives ...........

Spyder Garage

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU ......Mike ........it's posts like these that save lives ...........
    "THANK YOU - THANK YOU -THANK YOU ......Mike" .......Why are you thanking yourself, Mike? That's a bit vain, isn't it?
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default MIKE ??????

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    "THANK YOU - THANK YOU -THANK YOU ......Mike" .......Why are you thanking yourself, Mike? That's a bit vain, isn't it?
    Pete, show me one post ( of mine ) that I didn't end it without stating my name ????? ..... I often wonder the names of most of the folks are on this site ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Jcthorne,

What size cone do you need and how much does it cost??? For as fast as these bikes run through tires might be a good investment.

Thanks,

Al in Kazoo

I
    do not have a part number. The discount tire store manager looked it up in his available tools and equipment listing and ordered it from his corporate source. I paid him his cost for it, was about $40.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Pete, show me one post ( of mine ) that I didn't end it without stating my name ????? ..... I often wonder the names of most of the folks are on this site ............. Mike
    , Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I am currently running a 205 on mine and there was no issue with installing it. A friend of mine installed the same tire in the same size without any mounting issues.

Hard to beleive that a 615 fits your rim let alone between the swing arm
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue